Breaking Down the Unbreakable

I'd Know That Stupid Red Car Anywhere!

I didn't know what to do. If I stood up, I'd look like a klutz. If I stayed on the ground, I'd just look stupid. Damn my stupid options.
I sucked up my pride, and stood up, brushing myself off, careful to watch out for the stupid crack I'd tripped over. The evil crack that made me look even stupider than I already did. I mean that's the second time I've fallen around this guy today! And he wasn't going to let me forget that!
"You know, I'm used to girls falling for me, but I'm pretty sure none of them actually hit the ground before. Let alone more than once." I could hear the smirk he was wearing. And man did I want to slap if right off.
"If I'd been falling for you, I would need an ambulance because I'm sure I'd have brain damage!" I glared at him quickly before returning my focus once again to the sidewalk and not tripping.
"I'm surprised."
"By what?" I snapped. I didn't like that he was following me. I mean eventually he was going to follow me right to my front door, and I certainly don't want him knowing where I live.
"Little Miss Self-Defense can't stay on her own two feet and doesn't even have a car to save herself the trouble of trying to defy gravity." I stopped in my tracks. Who was he to make fun of me?
"What did I do that you feel the need to try to torture me?"
"I don't try. I do. And I succeed."
"Oh really? Let me know how that works out for you." I started walking again, but didn't get very far.
"Actually I was hoping you'd be able to tell me."
"Ok, I can do that." I stopped once again, turned to face him and folded my arms over my chest.
"First off, I have no reason to be tortured by you, and although I find you extremely annoying, that's all I feel towards you. And though you may think you have the school in your perfect little hand, you don't. Because if you did, I know you'd have something better to do right now than follow me home. And unlike the movies where something follows a girl home, I won't ask to keep you. I'll probably call the cops and ask for a restraining order."
"So you think you've got me figured out?" He cocked an eyebrow at me.
"Oh no. Not at all." I popped a hip and smiled sarcastically. "I still don't know why you feel the need to attract the negative attention you do, and I have yet to figure out why you've been essentially stalking me for the last 5 minutes in your little red car."
"Stalking you?"
"Yes, that's what it's called when someone is constantly around and typically unwelcome. I saw you drive by at least 3 times."
"I live around here. Is it a crime to drive now?"
"Only around me. Now, I'd really appreciate it if you'd drive off and let me be on my way." I shooed him away life someone would do to a fly at a picnic before returning to my course. But, of course, his stupid red car was still inching along next to me.
I briefly thought about running into an ally or something where he couldn't follow me, but I had no idea where that would lead and I'm pretty sure I'd chose a dead end and then I'd just look really dumb for walking down a random street not knowing where I was.
"Alright. Since you're not going to leave me alone, can you at least tell me why you're following me? Because even if you weren't following me before, you definitely are now."
"Like you said, I have nothing better to do. I saw you walking and thought I'd come and offer you my company."
Oh that boy was so smug. I wanted to punch him. But if I did it would just give him the satisfaction of knowing he'd beaten me. I don't break. Ever.
And I'm pretty sure he didn't realize that the game he was trying to play was the game I'd mastered when I was 10. I made my dad's private that he'd assigned as nanny for the day break down in tears after he tried to make me go to bed. When people try to break me, I show them just how fragile they really are.
"Right. You just decided that instead of going home, or anywhere else in the world, you'd just inch along next to me until I got home." I turned a corner into the "flower" neighborhood as Ali had called it today.
"Well I was going to offer you a ride, but you seem content with walking, so I figured it would be a waste." A ride? He was going to offer me a ride? Why? He's supposed to hate everyone.
"You're right. I am content with walking, and I'd be even more content if you weren't here while I was doing it." Not totally the truth, since I was fine with him being there, I just wish he wouldn't talk.
"Yeah, see that's where the whole I don't care factor comes into play. I do things for my enjoyment, not yours. I'm bored, and annoying you, as you put it, is so much more interesting than doing homework or anything else."
"You know. I may be annoyed, but eventually I'll learn to tune you out and then you'll be all out of fun. It would be a better idea to annoy me at random increments of time. Then I'll never know when you're coming and you'll have that much more fun." I really wanted this guy to leave. I mean I was going home, and I didn't want him to know where I lived. That would not be good. I mean, teenagers are mean, and ones that are mean like Seth tend to do mean things to peoples' houses.
"So you're giving me advice now on how to properly torture you?"
"Actually I just want you to leave, but I figured I might as well give you a fighting chance even if you'll fail no matter what. Because the truth is, I will get used to it. I mean I have a younger brother, and I don't even notice his pig-face anymore. So really, I'm just hoping you'll get the hint and drive away."
"Well since you asked so nicely. I do have some things to do at home, so I'll let you get back to walking." And with that he gave me a wink (yes, like the one eye twitch blink) and drove off.
It took about 5 more minutes to get back to my house, so it was good I was able to shake off the poop face. I saw my grandpa's truck in the driveway and the planters full of Spring flowers making it look like a cottage out of a magazine. It was a little scary, but who was I to say anything. I mean, the gilr who'd rather wear jeans and a t-shirt and go running for an hour than put on a dress and go to prom probably doesn't know much about making a house look good.
I sighed to myself as I walked up to walkway to the front door, but stopped and took a few steps back to look at the driveway of the house next door.
No! It couldn't be! I was going to scream!
Not only did I have to deal with the booger in school.
His car was in the driveway of the house next to mine.
Which can only mean one thing: The other person Ali was going to tell me lives in the "flower" neighborhood was Seth.
And he was my neighbor! There was no denying it. Right next to the front door was a plaque clearly stating "The Rider's".
Why me?
I stood on the front walk leading to my door for at least 5 minutes when I heard a door open and looked up to see my grandpa stepping outside with a smile.
"Hija, what are you doing?" He gave me a puzzled look, because it's not really normal for him to walk out and see me standing looking at the neighbor's house with what I'm sure was a look of panic.
"Papa, did you know our neighbors have a son my age?" If he did, I'll scream. I closed my eyes waiting for the response, almost sure I wouldn't like it.
"Of course."
"Papa! Why didn't you tell me?"
"Riley I did." Oh, he was a little scary when he said my real name, but not in the same way I am. More in the scary watch-what-you-say, way. "I tried to tell you more than once, but you were either not paying attention or you told me it didn't matter who lived next to you since you didn't like people."
"I know, but I didn't think I'd have to deal with the pain in the ass all day."
"Riley, watch your words." He gave me the I'm your grandfather, you're supposed to be innocent in my eyes look. I mean it's not like I've never cussed around him, he just likes to make fantasy words in his head.
"Papa, I'm serious. It's like everywhere I looked, there he was again. I can't escape him! And now, he lives next-door. Fabulous!" I threw my hands in the air, finally making my way back to the house.
"Well don't relax now." He spoke a little softer than usual. I stopped with my hand perched midway to the door.
"Why not?"
"Mrs. Rider invited us over for dinner tonight."
Kill me! Kill me fast!
Dear God, I am sorry for everything I have ever done that wasn't good, but please tell me it was all a bad dream!
I blinked my eyes a few times, still facing the door trying to make sure I didn't have something in my ear.
"I'm sorry, what?"
"We're going over for dinner. At seven."
Not what I wanted to hear. I chose not to go out with friends because this is my night with him, and now I have to spent it with Satan? Not. Okay.
"Grandpa." I was almost yelling at that point. "I am not going."
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok, so this one's a little bit longer, so I hope you like it.
Let me know what you think, and thanks a million to those who've commented already!
Much love to each of you!
~Tracicita~