Shadows of the Night

Genetic Design for Dying

June 6th, I was born. At 3:15 AM I died.

What kind of a story is that to tell your daughter? Obviously I came back. My mom calls me her miracle child. Hmm, some miracle I am.

In the summer it would be my birthday... or death day, however you look at it. None of my friends knew this about me. Not even Thorn did, and she is my best friend. I thought while taking another drag off my cigarette in the darkness, must be around midnight now. Oh, the witching hour.

I stomped out the ashes in damp ground with my black boots and climbed back through the window to my basement room. No one else liked the basement, so I claimed it as my own. The glow of my computer is the only light inside. The bottom of the screen flashed orange. Probably was just Thorn saying K to my BRB. I checked, and it was. No one else ever said much in cyberspace. Not even Moon did.

I clicked message with my mouse, and typed back.

Thorn: wb
Raven: thanx...whats going on?
Thorn: nothing really...moons bored too....
Raven: www.bored.com
Thorn: lawl...the time i've wasted there....
Raven: who hasn't? you know?
Thorn: meh...what are you doing?
Raven: not my hw XD
Thorn: hahaha i forgot mine too....
Raven: o so now its just you forgot?
Thorn: maybe XP
Raven: i think we should skip tomorrow...you think moon would want to?
Thorn: idk ask her...
Raven: k...

I clicked Moon's conversation, which consisted of her saying she is bored, and me saying "Me too."

Raven: me and thorn were thinking of skipping 2morrow, you N?
Moon: idk....maybe...why?
Raven: why not?
Moon: ehhh...skool???
Raven: moon....come on...
Moon: k...but i think we will miss something important tomorrow...
Raven: w/e come to the usual place when we skip...
Moon: k
Raven: sweet

I clicked back to Thorn.

Raven: moon's in!!!!!!
Thorn: sweet dude!!!
Raven: i know she said something about we'll miss something important...*rolls eyes*
Thorn: yeah she always says that...
Thorn: so were on?!
Raven: yes...

Moon's conversation flashed. I might as well see what she wants.

Moon: i just know were going to miss something.
Raven: *rolls eyes* look...were not missing anything, since when do you care about school?
Moon: idk...i just dont think we should not skip 2morrow...
Raven: just come...you know its fun!
Moon: k...it is fun XD

I clicked back to Thorn.

Thorn: ahhhh! moon wont shut up! she just keeps saying...blah blah blah...
Raven: i know...shell get over it...
Thorn: yeah...i just hope she doesnt complain 2morrow...it will ruin everything!!!!
Raven: i know...but if she doesnt come it will ruin it too...
Thorn: true...

I glanced at the clock and it was 2 am.

Raven: *yawns* im gonna go to bed..night
Thorn: yeah, me too...later

She signed off, I clicked over to Moon's flashing conversation.

Moon: she didnt say bye...
Raven: dont worry about it...just come with us 2morrow...
Moon: k :)
Raven: night
Moon: night...

I signed off, then surfed the net for a few hours, checking my forums, and sites. Not much changed. I had no new friends, or new messages. I turned off my computer and fell on my bed. In total darkness my room is like a dank abyss, the walls not even visible yet painted orange.

I shuddered, and rolled under the covers.

"Weird dream," I muttered to myself as my alarm clock played the first track on Aiden's Nightmare Anatomy.

I dragged myself out of bed and went into my bathroom. I sleepily washed my face, and brushed my teeth. "Ugh!" I thought staring at my reflection then shrugged. I went to my closet, and grabbed my pants and shirt. I crumpled them up into my messenger bag, then threw my make up bag inside. I had no need for books. Then I put on my uniform, a plaid jumper and a little white collared shirt.

I grabbed my bag and took a deep breath. Then, I walked up stairs and opened the door.

The smell hit me first. It always does. It was that fake plasticy metallic smell of air fresheners. I grimaced and wrinkled my nose. Then came the scratchy voice of my mother saying, "Good morning."

"What's so good about it?"

"Renee, do you have to be like that every morning?"

I just grunted and rubbed my forehead with my left hand. Then she said something about breakfast, and I just told her, "I need to get to school; Jessica is going to walk with me."

"OK. I just wish you would eat something, but have a good day, and don't get into any trouble."

"Sure, sure," was all I could say and walked out the door.

I walked to the end of the street and over one block to Thorn's house.
♠ ♠ ♠
So if you haven't figured it out yet. Thorn, Moon, and Raven are nicknames. Renee is Raven. Jessica is Thorn. In the next one Mary is Moon. More to come, soon. Hope you like it so far.