Shadows of the Night

Swallow Smile

“Why did you change into one of my teachers?”

“Why not?”

There was a pounding on my door, “Renee, we really should talk about this,” my mother pleaded.

I tried to think of something to say to get rid of my mother so I could try and understand what Dan is, and why he was here. Nothing came to mind.

Then Dan whispered in my ear, “Your mother is wanting to know more about the boy hitting you with a rock, than you holding hands with your teacher.”

I stared at him wanting to know how he knew that. But I figured I should get rid of mother before asking Dan anything else. I took and deep breath and walked up the steps, while Dan hid himself. I unlocked the door, and my mother hugged me tightly. It was a strange feeling because either of my parents haven't done that since I was very young. I pushed out of the hug and stared at her, wondering if what Dan said was true.

She started off the conversation by asking me about the boy who through the rock at me. That made me think Dan was right, to my amazement.

“I don't know who he is, mom,” I began.

“All I know is that, he goes to the public school, and him and the rest of the kids make fun of me when I walk by in my uniform.”

“So just because you go to a private school, they make fun of you, and now are throwing rocks at you?”

“Yeah, I guess..so, can I go now?”

“Okay, but I am going to find out where that boy lives and call his parents.”

I didn't care what her intentions were behind saying that. All that mattered was she was off my case now, and that I could go back and talk to Dan. I walked back through the door way to my room and locked the door. As I walked downstairs the temperature seemed too warm and Dan was nowhere to be seen.

I whispered into the emptiness, “...Are you there?”

Then Dan reappeared, “I am.”

He still looked the same as I had asked him to be earlier. He stood there watching me like he was waiting for my command.

“How did you know my mother was more interested about the boy throwing rocks, then me holding hands with my teacher?”

“I can read her mind. I can read your mind. I can read anyones mind. Did I not mention that before?”

“No,” was all I could say.

Then I wondered, “Is this guy related to Batty?”

“No I am not related to her, but you could say I am somewhat related to those other men,” He said with a sly smirk on his face.

“Woah! I guess you can read my mind. I only thought that to myself, and you heard it. Does that mean you could read Batty's mind too?”

“Yes I can,” He put it simply.

“So what are you?”

“You still don't know?” He said in a mocking tone.

“No, I don't!”

“Well I can't tell you. It's something you have to figure out on your own.”

I started to open my mouth to say something back, but the next thing I knew I was drifting off to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's taking forever to complete. I don't know if anyone is reading anymore anyways.