Shadows of the Night

It's Too Late

"I mean the Ouija board. You guys have to learn how to use it."

"Oh, so let's go ahead and start playing with it," I suggested.

"No," Batty said fixing her drink. "It would be better to wait and use it when my parents get home."

"Why?" Moon asked pouring soda into her cup.

"Because it works better at night. That's when my parents will home," Batty explained.

"You said there's a basement?" I asked in astonishment.

"Yeah, my brother lives down there. He really didn't want to move but whatever."

"Who lives on the second floor?" Moon asked with her eyes getting bigger grasping how huge Batty's house was.

"Do you guys ever stop asking questions," she said shaking her head. "Okay well my sister lives on that floor, and the new baby lives on that floor. The other rooms are guest rooms, and one is an office for my parents. Also there's a bathroom. And before you even ask, my parents room is on the first floor."

"So, let me get this straight. You have a brother, and a sister. Also there's a baby, which is well you didn't say boy or girl. So where do they go to school?" I stated, getting confused.

Batty giggled, "My brother goes to college, online. So he's usually gone with his friends somewhere. My sister is in middle school, but goes to public school because my parent's really didn't want me to go to a private school. But I told them, I knew I had to."

"OH YEAH!" Moon shouted. "You said your parents deal with things...like, umm this...all the time?"

Then Batty's lips moved into a long malicious smile, "Yes."

"What did you mean by that?" I whispered.

The creepy smile didn't leave her face, "You'll find out."

I nearly choked on my soda as I watched her talk a big gulp and a tiny stream of it ran down her cheek under her white eye. I tried to control my breathing and curled up in the chair. Thorn hadn't said one word since we got into the house. I glanced at her sitting like a statue and sipping her drink very carefully. Then I realized there was awkward silence, so I looked over at Batty. She picked up the remote and began flipping the channels until she found a movie on. The movie was Willard, we were at the part where he meets Ben.

"Oh yeah, if you guys want to go change out of your uniforms. Just go ahead and use my closet. It's huge," Batty said.

I was getting the choking feeling from the collar on my shirt and the top part of my jumper. I grabbed my bag and headed for the closet. Inside I could see the dumbwaiter. I glanced down it and saw all the way through to the basement. In the basement all I could see was that the floor was red. I changed out of my uniform into my tight black jeans and a Mindless Self Indulgence t-shirt.

"Thorn don't you want to change out of your uniform?" I asked her.

She just nodded and picked up her bag taking it to the closet. Five minutes later she walked out wearing baggy black pants and a black tang top. Then Moon went to change. When she came out she was wearing, blue jeans and a Hives t-shirt.

Batty smiled, "Cool, I guess I better go change now."

When she came out she was wearing black Tripp bondage pants with red outlines and a The Audition t-shirt. She walked over and sat back on the couch with Moon. The movie was now at the part where Willard kills his boss. Batty had a dark smile on her face as Willard poked his boss with the same stick he had killed Socrates with. She even giggled when Willard said, "What's the matter Tiger, afraid of a little blood."

Then Batty jolted off the couch to her dumbwaiter, climbed inside, and was gone.

"What the hell was that about?" I asked no one in-particular.

"Who knows, she's nuts!" Thorn said with annoyance in her voice.

Moon squinted her eyes, "No she's not! Her parents might be home now. She probably went to see them."

"Then why leave us here?" I asked.

"She'll be back," Moon said.

Just then I heard Batty's voice but I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. Moon turned down the TV. Then she got up and walked over to the left of the TV. I hadn't noticed it before, but there was a small white speaker box, in the wall. Moon pushed the button, "Hey, umm what's going on?"

"My parent's and sisters are home. I told them I have some friends over and they said that we could order pizza. What kind do you want?"

Moon looked over at me and then at Thorn, she didn't know what to say. We didn't say anything so she just said, "Umm yeah just get whatever. Everything, cheese. Doesn't matter to us."

"Okay."

Moon walked back over the couch. The movie was nearly over now, but Batty still wasn't back. I don't think she wanted us to come down stairs. Moon was flipping through the channels trying to find something else on. I looked outside it was getting dark, my parents wouldn't know where I was. If they called the school looking for me, I was screwed.

I looked around, but I didn't see a phone. I stood up and walked over to where Batty's desk was. I didn't think she would mind if I used the phone to tell my parents where I was. I picked up the phone, but some one was already on it.

"Yeah, I'm back home but, I miss you too."

"You do. You're so sweet. I keep thinking about the other night."

"Yeah, me too."

I hung up the phone. I guessed it was her brother on the phone with some girl. I didn't want to listen to their lovey-dovey crap. Just then I looked up and Batty was coming out of her closet. She had more drinks, a box of pizza, and plates. She sat them on the table, and Moon was opening the box of pizza. It smelled good. Batty looked up at me, "What are you doing?"

"I thought I should call my parents so they wouldn't freak out and call the school to figure out where I am."

"Oh yeah, good idea," she waited for me to call but I just stood there. "What's the problem?"

"I think your brother's on the phone."

"Give me the phone," she said and I tossed it to her.

"Get off the phone, Jack! My friend needs to use it."

She tossed it back to me, and I dialed my number.

"Hello," my mom answered.

"Hey, mom. It's me. I'm just at my friends house."

"Oh! Good, I'm glad you called. I was getting worried."

"Yeah, I figured that's why I thought I should call. Well we got pizza so I'm gonna go now, bye."

"Have fun, bye."

I hung up the phone and walked over to the coffee table. The pizza had everything on it, olives, green peppers, onions, mushrooms, pepperoni, sausage. It was really good. Once we were full, there was still like 3 pieces left.

"So now that your parents are home. Can we please do whatever it is your wanting us to do with the Ouija board?"

Batty shrugged at me, "Not yet, we have to wait for my parents to get to bed. That won't be for another hour. The Adam's Family movie is on. When it's over we can get to work."

"Okay," I said while snuggling into the chair.

When the movie was finally over Batty stood up and announced, "Okay it's time to go."

"Go where?" I asked.

She sighed, "We have to go to the grave yard. It might work here, but it will work better in the cemetery."

"How are we going to get there?" Moon asked her.

"Well there are two way we could go. Either we steal my parents car. Or we walk through the fields in this darkness. This part didn't come to me, when I saw this happening, so you guys choose how we get there."

"Let's take the car!" Thorn said.

"No I think we should walk," Moon said.

"Okay thats two for each. You have the deciding vote then Raven."

Hmmm, I thought to myself, steal a car or walk.

"I think we should...," I couldn't decide so I paced around.

"I think we should...take the car."

"Okay that works for me. Thorn, you and I need to have flash lights. Come on," she gestured for us to follow her to the closet. She dug out an old suitcase and handed it to Moon. "You will need to hang on to this. Do you understand?"

"Yes..," Moon said a bit confused.

Then Batty handed Thorn a flash light, "Don't lose it."

Thorn just nodded.

"Okay, now I'm going down first. Then Moon, send down the suitcase, then yourself. Next Thorn come down. Finally Raven, you come."

She then put her hand on my shoulder, "You know how to drive at all?" She asked with one eye brow raised.

"Umm possibly," I was a bit confused. Did she want me to drive her parents car?

"Good. Don't worry about the door to the dumbwaiter. Just leave it open. Got it?" She had a very serious edge to her voice.

"Yeah.." I mumbled.

Batty climbed into the dumbwaiter and lowered herself down.

"Okay, Moon lower the suitcase."

Moon carefully placed the suitcase inside, and began lowering the rope. Eventually she stopped.

"Alright Moon come on down."

Moon then brought the dumbwaiter back up, then climbed inside. Soon she was gone.

"Alright Thorn you're next."

Thorn handed me the flash light and climbed inside, then she reached out her hand for me to give it back to her. I did. She held it between her legs, as she lowered herself down.

"Okay Raven, come on, were all waiting on you. Remember to leave the little dumbwaiter door open. But make sure you close the closet door."

"Alright."

I turned and closed the closet door. Then in the darkness it was harder to climb inside the dumbwaiter, but I managed. Inside I grabbed the rope and slowly lowered myself. I passed through the baby's room. It was all white with pink hearts. That was all I could see anyways. Then I saw Batty sitting on the counter. She pulled me out of the dumbwaiter and helped me off the counter. Then she got down and started looking for her parent's keys.

The kitchen was white. The walls were white, the fridge was white, the table was white, the chairs were white. The counter tops were white, the cabinets were white. Then Batty handed me the keys.

"Come on," she said.

She walked over to the granite door and pushed it open. Then inside the garage she hit the button for the garage door to open. I just hoped that noise didn't wake her parents. We all walked out to Batty's parents van. I clicked the unlock button on the key ring. Moon got in the back. Batty sat in the passenger seat. I got in the driver seat. Thorn sat in the back next to Moon. I had seen people do this over a dozen times, how hard could it be?

I checked behind me to make sure the garage door was open. It was. I shoved the key in the ignition and turned it away from me. The engine purred under my feet. I hit the brake and pulled the lever to where it lined up with the R. We drifted in reverse down the drive way. I hit the break and looked behind me. I didn't see anything, and I noticed the car lights came on automatically. Batty reached up and hit the garage door opener, to close the door. I slowly released the break under my foot. I very carefully turned the wheel and got out of the driveway.

“What way do I go? I don't even know where I am!” I screamed.

“Dude, calm down. Just go the way you're facing it doesn't really matter.”

I slowly put my foot on the gas. The van began to move forward. I had no idea where I was but I figured if I need to go a different way Batty would say something.

“STOP!” she yelled.

I hit the break, the car made a screeching sound. I looked to my right and there was a stop sign.

"Use the blinker. To go," she paused. "To go, left."

I flipped the little lever under the wheel and the right blinker flashed. I tried it again and the left one came on. I sighed in relief. I slowly lifted my foot off the break, and looked to see if there was anything. But I saw nothing. I turned the wheel and continued down the road.

"Come on grandma! I drive faster than this!" Batty yelled at me.

I sped up a little. Then I started to hear the noise of more cars.

"We're going into the city?" I yelled at her.

"Yes, now just drive. Trust me. Nothing bad is gonna happen. Yet."

"Yet? What the hell do you mean yet?" I was getting angry.

"Look, it will be worth it."

I didn't know where I was or where I was going. I didn't know how to get back home or anywhere. I had no choice but to do as she said. I so I just drove on.

"Get ready to stop soon, we're getting onto the freeway."

"THE FREEWAY?" I screamed with every ounce I had.

"You're going to get us killed!" Thorn yelled.

"But I thought you said, go ahead, like you have a life anyways."

I could hear Thorn growling from behind me. I didn't know what Moon's face looked like but I would guess she even more terrified then I was. I just kept driving, what choice did I have? We approached the turn onto the freeway. I slowed down.

"You can't slow down! You have to get on the road, you have go faster."

I was afraid to make this machine go fast, but I didn't want to get pulled over. Then we would be in more trouble then I guessed we would already be in. I pushed the gas pedal down a little bit more and gained speed. We merged with the traffic effortlessly.

"Okay keep going but don't go over 60."

I just nodded. I hated this feeling of lost control, that she was telling me what to do. I kept pushing the gas, making the van go faster. At one point I let it go to 65, but Batty said nothing. How do I even know if she lied and she knew this is how things would work out? If I had just said to walk, I thought to myself.

After we drove down the road for what seemed like forever, Batty finally said, "Okay, were going to come to a light. At the light you want to take a left. Stay in the fast lane, when you see we're getting closer to the light turn on your blinker."

Again all I could do was nod. Eventually I saw the light and put on the blinker. I coasted the vehicle to the left. I stopped, the light was red. Then it turned to green and I looked both ways and slowly made the turn.

"Okay now down the road should be the school. Pass it. Turn right on the highway by the school, and park in the park parking lot."

"Okay," I said. I was feeling a little more confident now that I knew where we were. I stopped at the sign by the highway and made the right turn. The park wasn't far, just a few feet on the left. I made that turn and then parked under some trees in the shadows.

"Okay, lets go!" Batty said ripping the door open and turning on her flashlight.

I got out and when everyone else was out I hit the lock button on the key ring. Thorn turned on her flashlight and Moon carried the suitcase. We walked over to the edge of the park and found the gates to the cemetery. Batty some how lead us to where we hung out everyday when we skipped school. Only this wasn't day, it was night. Night made things seem more creepy, more ominous. Batty sat down against a tomb wall. Moon sat to her left. Thorn was in front of her, sitting against the another wall of a different tomb. I sat in between Batty and Thorn.

"Okay, Moon. Hold my flashlight for a minute and give me the suitcase."

They exchanged items. Batty flipped the little tabs on the suitcase open and a glowing board reviled it's self. In the dim light generated by the flash lights, I could see the letters on the Ouija board. She carefully pulled it out of the suit case along with the pointer. The pointer was glowing just like the board. She carefully placed the pointer on the board where there was nothing.

"Okay guys everyone put your finger tips on the pointer," Batty told everyone.

Batty reached her hands towards the glowing pointer first. Then Moon's fingers found their way to it's edge. Mine were next. Thorn's were last.

"Now everyone concentrate, focus, but do not, I repeat, DO NOT CLOSE YOUR EYES! It is very important. Everyone understand?"

I found myself saying, "Yes." At the same time as Moon and even Thorn.

Batty took in a deep breath and said, "Hello. Are you there?"

The glowing pointer seemed to be moving on it's own. It moved toward where the board read, YES. Then it moved back toward the middle where there was nothing. Batty was the only one smiling.

She continued to ask the board another question, "What is your name?"

The pointer moved toward the letter N. Then continued to A, M, E, and finally S. It went back to where the board was blank.

"Does that mean, there is more then one?" Moon asked very quietly.

"Yes," Batty answered. Then she asked the board again, "What are your names?"

The pointer was moving faster now. This time it went to the letter I. Then moved back to the blank spot. Then to O, N, L, Y; then moved back to the blank spot. Then it went back to G, I, V, E. Then it went to the blank spot. Then it moved down to where the numbers were, and went to the number 1. Then it rested again on the blank spot in the middle.

"Tell us the one name," Batty asked the board.

The pointer shook under our finger tips but moved to O, R, O, B, A, S.

Batty's smile got bigger, which I didn't know was possible. I started to feel cold as I did in my bed room lately. Then she asked the board, "How many of you are there?"

The pointer quickly moved over to the number 4. Then it went right back over to the blank space on the board.

Then Batty asked, "Will you reveal yourselves to us?"

The pointer rapidly moved over to where the board read YES. Then right back to where the blank area was.

"This is it," she said. "This was the part I saw in my vision. When they reveal themselves."

"When," was all I could get out, as this big white horse came out of nowhere behind Moon. I started at the elegant creature in awe. Batty stood up and stroked it's nuzzle, "Hello Orobas."

Then under the hoofs of the giant horse were green glowing eyes. It leaped forward onto the Ouija board and purred at Thorn. She glanced at me shocked, but stroked the beast. From behind me I heard laughter. I looked over my shoulder and two men were approaching. I tried to scramble to my feet to defend myself, but one of the men looked like Mr.McBrennan.

"What the hell?" I said.

One of these two men looked very strong, like he was about to rip out of his clothing. The one that looked like Mr.McBrennan couldn't look away from me. When they approached, the stronger man went to stand next to Moon. But the other one, stood me up, and wrapped his arms around me. Then he kissed me with so much passion I felt like I was falling forever down an endless pit.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay this one is really long, again.

For those of you who have never seen the movie Willard

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0310357/

Other than that, please rate/comment, if you like to.

^__\\