Another Line Without a Hook

The songs and the words own the beating of our hearts

I quickly turned my head away and blushed.
"Sorry." Patrick said. "I didnt want to make you uncomfortable."
"Oh, you didn't." I said, still not looking at him. "It's just, I dont really know you or anything. All I know is that your name is Patrick and that I like your hat."
I looked at him and saw that he was smiling. I smiled back.
"Well." He started. "My name is Patrick Stump. I was born in Chicago Illionois but moved here 2 years ago. Im sixteen years old and live with my parents. How about you?"
I looked away and just stared at the ground. I really needed to come up with something good.
"Well, my name is Jenna Newmoore. I moved here last month to live with my dad instead of my mom. When I grew up I never really knew my father, and it's just recently he knows that I exist.
After I got into a big fight at my old school with both my mom and a girl from school I just couldn't take it anymore. So I asked my dad to pick me up and well... here I am."
Patrick looked at me.
"That doesn't sound very good."
"Nah, but this way I'll get new friends and can start a whole new chapter of my life." I said and smiled. "I miss my friend Alana though. Hannah kind of reminds me of her. They are both so full of energy and stuff."
I emptied my bottle of beer and looked it. One beer was all I had had all this time. I got up and looked at Patrick.
"I should go inside and try to find Hannah." I said.
He got up and stood infront of me.
"Yeah, I should try and find the others." He said.
I nodded and turned around and started to go back inside.
"Jenna." He said and I turned around and faced him.
He walked over to me and kissed me again. Then he looked me directly in the eyes.
"I want to meet you again." He said. "Not just randomly at some party. I mean really meet you."
"Like, a date?" I asked and he laughed.
"If you want to."
I blushed and looked at my feet. I didnt know what to answere him. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to answere him before we were interrupted.
"There you are!" Hannah said. "I've been looking everywhere for you."
She looked at me and then at Patrick who cleared his troath.
"Well, think about it." He said and gave me a piece of paper. "Here's my number. Text me or something."
He smiled at both me and Hannah and went inside. I looked at the paper in my hand and then at Hannah.
"What was that all about?" She asked.
"I think, he asked me out." I said.
Hannah took the note in my hand and looked at it while smiling.
"That's awesome." She said. "But you should know that he's kind of populare around here. Almost every girl wants him."
"Even you?" I asked and smiled.
"I said almost." She said.
I stuck my tongue out to her and we went inside again.

*2 hours, 5 beers, 8 shots and 1 apple juice later*
"I drunk you're think!" Hannah yelled over the music. "Wait, I think you're drunk I was supposed to say."
"Not as drunk as you!" I yelled back laughing at her. "I think you've had enough."
The look she gave me just made me laugh even more.
"Enough!? Oh hell no, I've just started sister!" She yelled and laughed.
Suddenly the music stopped and I saw that they had set up drums, guitars and stuff.
"Are there a band playing?" I asked Hannah.
"Yeah, you know Patrick is the singer of a band." She said and smiled while taking a zip of her beer.
"Oh cool." I said.
Patrick and some other guys started to soundcheck. I recognized one of them from before, I think his name was Joe. He was on the guitar. The other two I hadent seen before. Patrick said something to the bassplayer and then turned around to the mic. Someone turned down the light a little.
"Hi." Patrick said. "We're gonna play a few songs for you guys. The first one I dedicate to a beautiful girl."
He looked at me and I felt how I blushed.

"Why can you read me like no one else?
I hide behind these words
But I'm coming out
I wish I kept them behind my tongue
I hide behind these words
But I'm coming out"

I couldn't stop staring at him as he sang. He put so much emotion in his song that it almost put me to tears.

"Put your hand between
An aching head and an aching world
We'll make them so jealous
We'll make them hate us
An aching head and an aching world
We'll make them so jealous
We'll make them so jealous"

"He sings quite good." I said to Hannah, still looking at Patrick.
"Yeah he's an natural talent." She answered.

"All the ways you make my stomach turn
And all the long drives
With my friends blur
And I wish I kept them inside my mind
I hide behind these words

And think of all the places
Where you've been lost
And then found...out
In between my sheets
In between the rights and the wrongs"

He blinked at me and smiled.

"Put your hand between
An aching head and an aching world
We'll make them so jealous
We'll make them hate us
Aching head and an aching world
Think of all the places
Where you've been lost and found...out "

Everyone went wild, inclusive me ofcourse. Tho, I had been leaning towards the wall the whole time and as I started to applaude I lost my balance and fell on my ass. Hannah stared at me at first before bursting out in laughter.
"You're to drunk for your own good!" She said inbetween gasps.
"Ha ha, very funny." I said and slapped her on her leg. "Help me up instead of laughing at me."
She helped me up and held me under the arm. Suddenly I didnt feel so good after all.
"Hannah.." I started. "Get me to a toilet. Now."
Hannah looked at me before starting to drag me trough the house to the nearest bathroom. Thank god, it wasn't occupied. I barely had time to kneel down infront of the toilet before I threw up.
"Oh god, kill me now." I said as I wiped my mouth with a piece of paper. "I'm sorry Hannah."
"Don't think about it." She replied. "It happens to all of us at some point."
I got up and flushed the toilet.
"Do you have an extra toothbrush?" I asked.
She opened one of the bathroom draws and handed me a package of toothbrushes. I took one that was white and blue.
"Thanks." I said and started to brush my teeth.
When I was done I looked at my watch. 22.52. Still alot of time left before I was getting picked up. Or maybe I should go hom now?
"Are you ready to get back out?" Hannah asked.
I nodded and smiled and we went back to the crowded livingroom. The music had started playing on the stereo again. People were laughing and dancing everywhere. I turned to Hannah.
"So, jägermeister?" I asked and smiled
Hannah looked at me in disbelief.
"You just threw up!" She said. "Are you sure you want one?"
"Ofcourse!"
She shook her head and poured one once for us. We took them in on zip. Out of nowhere Patrick showed up and took a seat beside me.
"Im up for som Jägermeister!" He said and took my glass.
"Hey, that my glass!" I said and tried to take it back.
Since I'm shorter than he is, it didnt go so good. When we realized that our bodys were pressed up against each other we just stopped and stared at each other. He put his arm around my waist and pressed me closer to him and kissed me softly. Everyone else around us seized to exist. It was only me and him and nothing else. I got all warm and tingly inside. I put my hands on him, one on his chest and one on the side of his neck.
"Ew!"
I opened my eyes and everyone where back again. Patrick cleared his troath and gave me my glass back while smiling. I turned to Hannah.
"Get a room will you?" She said with an disgusted expresion.
I just laughed at her. The tingly feeling I had when Patrick had kissed me hadn't disapeared yet. I sighed while smiling. Could it be, that me, Emma Way, had fallen in love? I hadn't felt like this for a while, and I liked it.