Welcome To Paradise

First News

The paintbrush made a soft sound like waves over sand as I dragged the tip of it across the paper. I dipped it into the pot of water sitting beside me and chose a new colour to finish off my painting of my back yard in Portsmouth, England. "Amazing," My mother always said, "absoloutly amazing. You should think about being an artist as you grow older." But she knows that really I want to be either a punk/rock star or something along those similar lines.

"Oh Catherine."

I looked up from my work, and turned round to find my mother standing behind me, gazing at my art.

"It beautiful."

"Nothing much," I said, shrugging off the compliment. I liked the fact that my mom thought my work was good, but sometimes, when I just want a moment alone to myself, she's on my back bugging me.

"Anyway," My mother said, "I have something really exciting to tell you! You know how you've always dreamed of moving to America...well, I've just got a premotion, and we are moving there as soon as possible!!! "

I gasped. My lifelong hope of moving to America was actually going to come true. I had never liked my life here. I didn't start school until I was 7 because I was in hospital from repetitive stomach problems, which thankfully are a thing of the past now. Because of all the hospital visits, I had never had the time or strength to socalise, and that had taken it's toll at school. From a very young age I could never make friends, not only because I wasn't confident enough, but because the other kids always said there was something different about me. It probably had something to do with the fact that even with my cushy lifestyle and an overprotective mother, I was still an independant little bad-ass, even at the tender age of 7.

"Is that all you can do? Just sit there and gasp?"

I snapped out of my flashback, and looked at my mother, my dark hazel eyes meeting with her lighter brown ones.

"Oh mom, thats amazing!! I love you soooo much!!" I squeeled as I lept up and wrapped my arms round her in a huge hug.

"Well, we are leaving as soon as possible, so if you're ready in time, we should be in America this time next week!"