Learn to Love

Learn to Love

11:58:55

I’m sitting here watching the clock tick away the last seconds of 2008, reminiscing the last 12 months.

11: 59:01

My mother had a heart attack, first month of the year. She didn’t make it.
Two-thousand-eight started with a funeral.

11:59:20

We took a break, and I’ve gone so many places just for myself, with everything and everyone I needed.
The ones I couldn’t live without.

11:59:35

I saved people. I’ve saved people and animals and have gotten nothing but good things in return.
I learned how to cope without running away.

11:59:45

I learned how to cry.

11:59:50

I’ve done things I never thought I could. I recovered from wrist surgery. I succeeded in leaving m past behind, I’ve stopped it from getting at me. I’ve admitted things to myself, my family, my friends…

11:59:55

“5!” My face cracks into a smile as a piece of cake is shoved into my mouth, grinning eyes behind it.

“4!” I bring my hands to their cheeks, yelling and cheering with everyone else in pure anticipation.

“3!” Friends and family gather around me, staring at the TV screen, waiting.

“2!” Bright eager eyes meet, remembering and forgetting, looking forward and looking back, crying.

1:00:00

I’ve learned many things this past year, yet the biggest thing I have ever learned in my entire lifetime and this year, was how to love; and these lips pressed against mine, and the ring pressing into my finger signifying me as a union, a Bryero, is only proof of that.

Should old acquaintance be forgot, and never brought to nigh…