The ABC's of Growing Up

Z is for Zzzzzz

My eyes fluttered open and I yawned slightly before scrunching my face up as a small pulse of discomfort washed through me. I wondered why and realised it was because I was somewhat squashed between the back of the couch and Zacky. He was obliviously sleeping, taking up the majority of the couch as he quietly snored. I rolled my eyes and wriggled out of where I was, pushing myself up and onto the arm of the couch as I stretched and yawned once more.

It’s been just over three months since everything slowly began to change for me and it was now the night after our high school graduation. The time had gone by quickly, with things changing as the time went by.

I looked down at Zacky’s snoring self and smiled to myself, rolling my eyes once again as he snorted slightly in his sleep and turned over. How I ever got so lucky, I couldn’t tell you. We’d been together now for nearly two months and I can honestly say that I’ve never been so happy. After all the drama that happened before we got together, Zacky was the peace that I needed. Even with his natural hyper attitude towards life, he still managed to keep me feeling calm and safe at all times. He always made me feel protected.

I heard someone grumble and it was only then that I realised everyone had crashed out around the room. The person who had grumbled was Lyndsey. I smiled as she pawed about in her sleep before a small smile crept across her lips as she found a blanket. She pulled it up over herself and over Brian as she settled back down against his chest, her left hand up and resting on his chest.

My gaze zoned in on the diamond resting on her ring finger. Three weeks ago Brian had proposed to Lyndsey. It was something that I think everyone had seen coming, except for Lyndsey who was very excited and very shocked when he asked her. This may be because we all knew in advance. Brian had planned a whole thing for the proposition. But Lyndsey blew that by becoming suspicious. She could tell he was hiding something and she was determined to find out what.

“Brian, just tell me what you’re hiding!” Lyndsey demanded as she followed him up the stairs to his room.

“I’m not hiding anything Lynds, just drop it okay?”

I poked my head round the living room doorframe so I could watch what was happening, Zacky’s arms snaking around my waist as he peeked out too. It wasn’t long before our whole group was loitering in the doorway of Brian’s living room, watching as the pair argued.

“No! I won’t freaking drop it,” Lyndsey stressed as she stopped him on the landing. “You usually tell me everything. Why won’t you tell me this? What are you hiding that you can’t tell me?”

Brian groaned and ran his hands stressfully through his hair.

“It’s not that I can’t tell you,” he insisted. “And I’m not technically hiding something...but I just...not now okay? Lyndsey, just trust me...”

Lyndsey eyed him for a second before shaking her head.

“I trust you with everything I am but you’re being all shifty and you’re making it hard. Just tell me what’s going on.”

“Just leave it.”

“No!”

“Fine! You want to know what it is?” Brian asked, his voice raised in frustration. “I’ve been planning to take you out on Thursday so I can fucking propose to you and tell you that I love you and that I want you in my life forever and that I want to marry you.”

Silence engulfed everyone at that point and I’m sure I heard Lyndsey whisper a small ‘what’ but then something else happened. She squealed slightly with a big grin.

“Really?”

Brian chuckled and nodded as he watched his girlfriend begin to bounce slightly on her heels.

“So will you?” He asked softly.

Lyndsey nodded excitedly and bit her lip as he brought the ring out of his pocket. He’d been carrying it around with him a lot recently as he tried to build up the courage to ask her. Brian slid the ring on her finger and she squealed again before jumping up and down.

Lyndsey jumping up and down at the top of a flight of stairs has disaster written all over it. And sure enough she lost her footing and ended up tumbling down the whole load of them. We all stared at her wide eyed as she just laid there on the floor, her arms and legs spread out.

“You okay there ducky?” Sarah asked from the doorway.

“I’m getting freaking married!” Lyndsey squealed.


It was weird to think that one of my best friends was getting married but both Brian and Lyndsey insisted to their parents that it would be a long engagement. They weren’t going to rush into it and were going to wait until they had enough money to live on. For now it was like they were just boyfriend and girlfriend still. It’s just that Lyndsey had a big sparkly ring to prove it.

I thought about everything else that had changed. There was only a few more things that had dramatically changed and even then it was a good change.

The boys had got signed. Their band Avenged Sevenfold had finally caught the eye...or ears...of a label and they were going to be going on tour in a couple of weeks. They were very excited, especially Zacky as I was going to be going with them. I had decided not to go to college this year as I had no clue what I wanted to do with my life so I thought that I could take a year out, tour with the guys and think whilst on the road.

The rest of the boys kept pouting because Lyndsey, Sarah, Taylor and Raychel were all staying behind. They had each gotten into the college of their choice and had decided to pursue their careers. Lyndsey was off to poke at unhealthy people as she trained to be a nurse and Sarah was off to doodle at Art and Design school. Taylor was going to a Performing Arts school and Raychel was off to do Creative Writing.

Though the boys were pouting they were all proud of their girls for reaching for their dreams. In fact Brian was very encouraging of Lyndsey becoming a nurse but I did hear him mention once about nurse’s outfits, so I don’t know how proud he is of her and how much he just wants her to dress up for him. The boy is a pervert so it’s probably the latter.

I looked back to Zacky as he stirred before smiling as his eyes fluttered open. He looked to where I had been and his brow furrowed so I tugged his leg gently to get his attention. Zacky’s sleepy green eyes snapped over to me and he smiled before lifting his hands and wriggling his fingers like a kid that wants cake. I chuckled before slipping off the arm and crawling on top of my boyfriend.

“Yes?” I asked once I’d settled on top of him.

“Why were you sitting all the way over there?”

I shrugged and patted around for the blanket so I could bring it over us again.

“You were taking up the whole couch and I was squished up against the back so I moved to stretch and then got a bit caught up in my thoughts.”

Zacky smiled as I finally pulled the blanket over us and moved so I was curled up against his side.

“What were you thinking about?” He asked as he ran his fingers through my hair.

“Just everything really,” I answered as I looked up at him. “Everything that’s happened in the last few months. Us...Lyndsey falling down the stairs after Brian proposed...”

Zacky chuckled as I mentioned that and I couldn’t help but grin.

“Just everything,” I repeated.

Zacky smiled and nodded before making me tilt my head so he could kiss me. I smiled against his lips before pulling away and tucking my head under his chin.

“You happy?”

I nodded. “Very.”

Zacky brought one of his hands up and linked it with mine. I looked down at the way our hands fitted perfectly together and smiled again.

“You ready to be squashed in a van with all us smelly boys?”

I chuckled and shrugged. “I’ll deal. Or I’ll just hitch hike to all your shows.”

Zacky playfully growled before grabbing my waist and pulling me on top of him.

“You are not hitch hiking to our shows,” he commented sternly. “Some fucking psycho might pick you up.”

I pouted. “But you don’t mind me being in a van with Jimmy? He’s kind of insane.”

Zacky chuckled and I couldn’t stop the giggle that passed my lips.

“Would you two shut up?” Matt grumbled from where he was lying with Taylor. “I want my God damned Zzzz’s.”

“Sorry,” I muttered as I bit my lip to stop myself from laughing. “Loser.”

Zacky grinned and brought me up more so he could press his lips to mine. I melted into his touch and sighed happily, feeling perfectly content with my life and the way it was.
♠ ♠ ♠
And that's the end of that.
I'm rather upset that the story has finished...but I ran out of letters. Rhian did suggest that I carry on but using other languages...like Chinese for instance...but I think that might be taking things too far!!

THANKIES to everyone who has read this story/commented this story/subscribed to this story = ) The comments I got for this story always made me chuckle, so thank you!!

And A BIG THANK YOU to Bubble Two, who read each chapter as it was written and helped me when I got stuck on what to do. Thank you sweetheart!! Love you!!

Hope you liked this ending!!!
The end of this story will be making way for new stories = ) So keep your peepers peeled. Tee hee. x