Status: Finished! FoREVer

Picture Perfect

If I can't have him...

I had just gotten out of the shower when the doorbell rang. Since it was the weekend, all the help was dismissed (the cook, Maria, only came in to prepare the meals). Father was most likely at his office. Josh was probably with Johnny. And the other? I didn’t even want to think about her. Ever.

The doorbell rang again.

“I’m coming!” I shouted as loud as I could (it was a very large house) before throwing a robe over my body and hurrying down the stairs. “Good, grief, learn some patience! This house is huge,” I grumbled before throwing open the door.

“Hi, Annaliese,” Chris greeted very shyly. It was not like him at all.

“Hi,” I replied a little rudely.

“May I come in?”

“Sure,” I said, opening the door further to let him in. “Make yourself comfortable in the living room. I’m going to put some clothes on.”

“Oh, ok.”

I nodded my head and ran upstairs. Not really in the mood to impress, I threw on a pair of jeans and a somewhat decent shirt. I quickly combed my hair before returning downstairs. “So, what did you come here for?” I asked as I threw my hair up into a ponytail.

“I came here to apologize. What I did to you- it was inexcusable. And, I’m sorry. It’ll never happen again.”

“You mean you’ll try not to do it again,” I spat back. I knew that it was acting rude, but I couldn’t help it. He tried to steal something that I wasn’t willing to give to him.

“Anna, please.”

I wanted to make him wait. Make him squirm. I wanted him to grovel at my feet…but, we both knew that that couldn’t happen. We were still engaged, no matter how we felt about each other. No matter what, he would be waiting for me at the end of the aisle come summer time.

“Anna-”

“Fine, I forgive you. But you have to promise me to never drink that much again, or, at least not around me.”

“I promise,” he said, relieved. He got up and walked over to where I was standing. He took my hands in his. “I promise to never hurt you again.”

I bit my tongue. I wasn’t going to let my thoughts slip out. So, I nodded instead.

“Here, I’m going to make it up to you. The rest of the day is ours- whatever you want to do, we’ll do. Whatever you want, you get.”

“Chris, you can’t always expect to buy my forgiveness. What’ll happen when we’re married and you go off, and, I don’t know, fuck your dental hygienist?”

“Honey, that won’t happen. I mean, have you not seen my hygienist?” he asked, shuddering at the end.

“Chris-”

“I’m just kidding. Okay? I promise, we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it. Anna, please.”

“Fine, but I’m driving,” I said, grabbing the car keys out of his pocket.

~*~
“Thanks,” I smiled up at him. He was dropping me off at my door, like any good guy.“I had a good time.”

“You say that as if you’re surprised,” Chris laughed.

“Well, can you blame me? You turn into a different person around your friends and family. I just- it was unexpected.”

“They’re your friends, too. And they’ll be your family soon, too.”

“I know. It’s just- I wish this you could be around all the time. You know- the sweet and charming guy that you are when it’s just us.”

Chris leaned down and pecked my lips. “When we’re married, everything will change. For the better. I promise.”

Don’t make promises you can’t keep, I thought to myself. “For now, just remember your promise with the alcohol. We don’t want you dying from kidney failure or something else equally bad.”

“Okay, I’ll focus on that.”

“Good. Well, I’ll see you at the Christmas party at the club. Am I still picking you up?”

“That sounds wonderful. I’ll be sure to be ready at five.”

Chris smiled down at me. “See you then,” he replied, lightly pecking my lips again.

I waited for him to get in his car and drive away before I entered the house. Smiling to myself, I wandered through the house, not caring if anyone saw me.

“You’re back?” Josh asked.

Startled, I looked at him. “It’s my house, too.”

“Was that Chris?”

“Yes. What’s with the interrogation?”

“And you just forgave him, like that?!”

“How did you-”

“Guys like that talk you know.”

“I don’t care what you have to say,” I said before heading towards the stairs.

“Guys like that never change! Why the hell are you still with him?!”

Because I have to be.

“He’s only going to hurt you in the end, and you know it! Why can’t you find a decent guy?”

I have found one. He's a great guy- almost perfect- but I can’t have him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Finals are OVER and I'm back home and settled in. and I actually have somewhat of a direction for this story. Rum and Coke is almost over (well, it's about to be at the final stretch). Life is good. I'll try to write/ update more. that's what a month break does to me.

Anyways, Comment, like always. I love hearing what you guys have to say

=D Bree