Status: Finished! FoREVer

Picture Perfect

Confessions pt 2: The Confrontation

“Hello, ladies, may I steal my radiant fiancé away for a few moments?” Chris asked with a big smile, interrupting the general chatter around me.

Hannah, Gena, and Alicia giggled like little school girls. “Only if you promise to give her back. We were just talking about the wedding,” Amanda smiled.

“Of course I will. I wouldn’t dream of keeping her away from your gossiping lips.” If his voice hadn’t been so light, I would have sworn that I heard a bit of malice in his tone.

I smiled back at the girls. “I will tell you more later. In the meantime, feel free to speak to my mother, for she knows much more on the subject than I.”

Chris, his smile still as charming as ever, led me away from them.

“Thank you, so much,” I said to him as I tightened my grip on his arm. “I never thought I would get away.”

Chris’ smile faltered a little as he lead me through the maze of hallways and into an empty room. Upon further inspection, I noted that it was an old library. I could hear the books on the shelves calling me, begging for me to open their dusty convers and to crack open their withered spines.

“It’s later,” Chris said, pulling me away from the books’ spell.

“Oh, um, where did we leave off again?” I asked, sitting down on a lounging couch with tattered upholstery.

“I love you,” he said, coming over and squatting in front of me.

“Right,” I said, trying to keep the smile plastered on my face.

His eyes searched my own. “I mean it- I’ve always meant it,” he said while grabbing my hands. “Please, tell me that it’s not all been in vain.”

Sighing, I pulled my hands out of his and stood up. I walked to the mahogony desk that was placed perfectly in front of the large bay window. It, too, was covered in a film of dust. I felt sorry for the room. It was so grand and cozy, yet it was abandoned- left on it’s own.

“Anna-”

I didn’t look at him. I just stood there, staring out the window to the trimmed garden that was covered in white Christmas lights. “You know, I kind of like you being a complete douche-bag to me, do you know why?” I asked, turning to face him. “Because it’s so much easier to hate you when you’re like that. But this? Now? You’re too sweet. You’re too charming. Too...perfect.”

“I don’t-”

“Listen, I know what you do behind my back. I know who you’ve done, when you’ve done them- even where. And, I’m okay with that. I really am. You know why? Because our mother’s decided when we were nine years old that we would make an adorable couple. Don’t you get it? This has all been arranged! None of this is what we chose!” I put my hand to my hair and started working the bobbypins out. “And you want to know the funny thing? I don’t even want this ,” I said, quickly motioning to my attire. “I don’t to be bedecked in pearls and rhinestones that are the size of my palm and weigh a ton,” I said, finally breaking my tiara free of it’s hold on my head and sending it skittering across the room. “I am only doing this because I absolutely have to. Because I don’t want my father in jail- or worse, dead.

So, do you see why now I’m not the girl you thought I was? That I’m a little bit crazy? Much more than you bargained for? I am not made for this life, Chris. I am not made for this...glamor. I don’t care about money, or power, or fashion. I just want to curl up with a nice book and get lost in its pages. I want to go to the theatre and actually see it- not just be there to show off my new riches.”

Chris stood up and walked over to me. It looked as if his shock was finally wearing off. “So, you would rather be cold and homless than to be warm in a mansion.”

I closed my eyes. “A cardboard box could not be more lovely.”

“And your husband? Would you rather he be some rag-a-muffin hobo?”

“If it meant that I married for love, then sure. Bring on the rag-a-m-”

A sharp slap silenced me. It was issued by the back of his hand with enough force to silence, but not to leave a mark. “I will not be made a fool of on our wedding day.”

I looked up at him. “And you won’t. I am a good daughter- my duty lies to my father. If he tells me to walk down the aisle, then I will. A-and when he gives me away to you, then my duty will lie to you. Solely to you- until one of us dies. That is the parameters of the agreement. That is what I will do.”

Chris ran a hand over my cheek. “I gave my heart willingly to you, and here you are, tearing it right in front of me.” He grabbed a hold of my chin and forced me to look at him. “But I can live with that, because, if I can’t have your heart- your love- then no one can. I’ll make sure of that. Now, fix you hair and put that thing back on your head. I’ll meet you at the bottom of the stairs.” He said before turning on his heel and walking towards the door. He paused in the threshold and looked back over his shoulder at me. “You belong to me, and only me.
Remember that, your life shall be easy. Forget it, and well, let’s not test out that theory,” he smirked before walking out and closing the heavy door behind him.

I hung my head as soon and the doors thunked closed. Of course something like that would happen. My life just couldn’t be simple- oh no, can’t have that happening. Groaning, I picked up my discarded tiara and placed it back in its cage of bobbypins. I cast a final glance in the bay window- where I could fainly see my reflection- fixed my hair, and walked out of the room. I plastered on the biggest smile I had and walked down the stairs. Walked into the arms of the man I wasforced going to marry.

Lord, give me strength.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know, another one without Jimmy, but he's coming back. I promise. Good news: I'm actually remembering some of my plot outline, so that's good. I already have the last chapter planned out in my head, too. The journey just has to be written.

I realized my last note probably wasn't the most clear: I am not completely giving up writing A7X fics. I'm most likely going to go on a small hiatus. I just know too many people that have died young- mostly from drugs, but there has been a few cases of cancer and Tan- well, I'm not getting into that one. But, just realize that I'll still be here. I'm still reading and I'll continue to write- just maybe not A7X.

As always, please comment
=D Bree