Driving Backwards

You Still Wear My Jacket.

Gabe picked up another box, hating his life. "Odio mi madre ahora," he mumbled, stepping up the slippery walk gingerly. It had just snowed, and he didn't want to slip and fall on his ass.

"I heard that," Mrs. Saporta sang, passing him easily with a light box with just t-shirts.

Figures he'd get all the heavy ones. Well, technically, it was his shit, so he should have had to carry it. Damn logicalness that popped up when it wasn't wanted.

He went inside Abuela's house and set the box on the guest room bed. The walls were painted a baby blue, and the curtains were yellow. It reminded him of a nursery, kind of; the soft colors were calming. The wide window showed the slick street with ice littering it and a lamp post directly in his line of sight. Luckily, the room at least had a big bed so he could stretch out how he liked.

His mother appeared at the door. "You'll be fine," she assured him. "It's not like you have to change her diapers or anything. She just needs someone to go grocery shopping for her and all that. Keep her company. She doesn't have much time left."

Gabe sat on the bed, resting his chin in his hands. "Ya, I get it," he mumbled. "She have any booze?"

She glared at him. "This is why you're here. To get away from that," she stated, her brown eyes serious.

"Oh, please. Like you and your sisters don't have your little margarita parties every weekend," he retorted. It was true, and they both knew it.

"Ya, well I've lived my life. I've paid my dues. I have a job. You still have nothing. So be a man and deal with it. I'll call you in a couple days," she told him, walking away.

What was he to do now? He had no one near him: no friends, no annoying band mates. All he had was his shit, his abuela, and his van. Not even any internet access.

So he chose the van. His blue, lovable, and strangely reliable hippy van. He trudged outside, his feet crunching against the surface with each step. He pulled his jacket tighter around him as he climbed up into the van slowly, pushing himself up from the ground into the seat. He put the key in the ignition and turned the heat on immediately. The heater in the van wasn't very good at all, but it did the trick. Most of the time.

He didn't wait for the heat to take effect, instead he took a breath, letting the white fog seep out and reveal how cold it really was. He pulled out a cigarette and lit it, thankful for the small bit of heat. He didn't even bother cracking the window open; it was far too cold for that. He puffed on the stick for a moment before putting the car into gear and leaving the driveway.

He drove up and down the random streets, looking for something, anything. Searching vainly for a sign; a sign that he was going to make it out okay.

Welcome to Hoffman Estates.

* * * *

William strolled idly down the street, listening to his footsteps as he did. His boots made a comforting sound over the pavement; a sound he really loved to hear. It was melodic and constant.

He had tried to do his homework; really he had. He had sat down on his bed, looking at the jumble of papers, and then... he just couldn't bring himself to do it. He simply didn't have the drive to apply himself and do his work until the day it was due and he was freaking out from cramming.

He was still wearing the purple jacket; closed and with Gabe's scent coming from it. It was so faint, but if he concentrated really hard, he could smell it. It was still wonderful smelling as usual. It really was a nice a nice jacket; he probably would have taken to wearing it all the time anyway because it was so warm and fuzzy.

He wondered if he'd ever end up seeing Gabe again. He probably wouldn't. Gabe probably forgot all about his jacket by then.

Out of the corner of his eye, he spotted a blue Volkswagens van cruising next to him. He really didn't pay any attention to it, and why should he? He didn't know the driver.

He frowned, though, when he saw the van drive up past him and stop. It then proceeded to drive backwards and stop next to Bill. Bill stared into the window of the van, dumbfounded and mouth agape.

He did know the person who was leaning over the passenger seat to crank down the window, he did feel like he was about to throw up and barf all over the place, and he did know that this was more than a coincidence. This was a sign.

"Hey," Gabe said, giving William a wide grin.

"Um, hi," Bill replied, unable to really say anything more.

"You're William, right?" Gabe questioned.

"Uhuh," Bill answered.

"And you're wearing my jacket," Gabe observed.

"Uhuh."

"Get in."

Bill knew he probably should have said no. He didn't know this guy. He was in a band. He was a rockstar. He could have been a crazy high-on looking to rape a kid. He didn't know.

But despite that, he opened up the door and climbed up into the van. He settled into the seat, looking out the windshield now that he was up much higher. Everything looked much different.

"Listen, I'm sorry about keeping your jacket. Here," Will mumbled, beginning to slide it off.

"No, it's okay. Not a big deal," Gabe insisted.

Bill set the jacket in Gabe's lap anyway. He knew he was supposed to give it back now. He'd had it for two weeks; it was time to let go. Bill saw the ashtray open with ashes in it. Gabe did smoke then. He had been right. He stole a glance at Gabe, who was staring ahead now. He had on a black jacket and jeans. Bill couldn't help but note that Gabe looked much better in the purple one.

"So where'd you go after the show?" Gabe finally asked.

"I went home," Bill stated. "You didn't tell me you were a big rockstar. Shouldn't you be taking on Japan right now?"

"Mmhmm. Funny kid. I just didn't think it was relevant," Gabe shrugged.

"Bullshit. You wanted to see my reaction," Bill said.

Gabe smirked. "That too."

"So what do you want? I mean, why are you even here? Are you playing another show or something?"

"No," Gabe muttered begrudgingly. "I live here now."

"Um... come again?"

"I moved in with my Grandma. She's old. Gotta make sure she isn't calling in stippers at one in the morning," Gabe informed him

Bill laughed. "Ya. You know how those old ladies get."

Gabe smiled and began to drive. "Where do you live?" he asked.

"Can't give out my personal information. Might get stalked."

Gabe shook his head. "Why would I stalk you?"

"'Cause you're secretly a fifty-year-old man that gets off to little boys?"

"That could be, my friend. Tell me so it makes it easier when I climb in your window."

Bill chuckled and pointed behind him. "Just a couple of blocks that way. You?"

"Um... right there," Gabe stated, pointing to a house as they passed it.

"Why did you just pass it?" Bill questioned.

"I'm not going home," Gabe told him.

"Then... where are you taking me?"

"I'm not taking you anywhere. I'm just driving around town."

"Um... okay..." Bill trailed off. Gabe was so completely random, he realized.

"Ya. So you want me to drop you off somewhere?"

"No."

"Okay..."

"I'll just sit here," Bill told him, staring out the window and looking as the leafless trees passed them by. Or they passed the trees. Whatever.

Gabe looked at Bill. There was something weird about that kid. Not weird, maybe, but different. Something unique.

He was determined to find out what it was.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, this chapter basically sucked. I'm not liking the way this is turning out. I'll probably kill off the story. It's so cliche.

Anyway, comment, whatever.