Status: Back in action!! I am currently writing more chapters, so be on the lookout!

A Little More Personal

Dinner

As we headed back to the dining room, I sneaked a peek at Jay. He was easy to get along with, very handsome, and funny. We had spent twenty minutes talking about our lives, and I found him quite interesting. Suddenly, I burst out with,

"You shaved."

Indeed, the stubble that had covered his jaw was gone. He grinned widely and nodded.

"My mom told me I'd better do it, or she'd sit on me and do it for me."

"Sit, sit."

We laughed at our mothers but found our seats. He was opposite me. My mother sat beside me; Deborah next to him, and the fathers were at the ends of the table. Neil filled one plate and passed it to my dad; he did this until everyone had a plate of food. I glanced up at Jay from between my lashes and caught him doing the same. He smiled first; Debbie and Mama shared an excited look.

"Alright. Thanks for dinner, Debbie. It was amazing."

"Thanks for coming. It was great to meet you, Taresa."

"You, too."

Jay walked with us out to the truck, his parents following. He pressed his fingers to my arm; I stopped and faced him.

"I had fun tonight. Thanks for keeping me company during this whole ordeal."

"Anytime. I'd better go."

"Yeah. Bye."

"Maybe we'll see each other again. After all, it is a small world."

"I hope."

"Good-night, Jay."

I stepped out of the shower and wrapped a towel around my body. My father was at work; it was Monday morning, and the first day he was scheduled to go in since I'd arrived. I opened the bathroom door, letting the steam pour out.

"Reece? You done?"

"Almost, Mama."

I walked toward the living room upon hearing voices - familiar voices - and peeked around the corning. There, sitting on the sofa, were Deborah and Jay. I bit my lip and ran back to my room. After quickly pulling on a pair of black capri's and a white baby-doll tee, I brushed my hair out and calmed my breathing. My heartbeat was a different story; it remained at a galloping, thunderous rate. I sat next to my mother and smiled at our visitors.

"Hey, Jay was just asking about you," Deborah announced.

"Mama, please, stop."

"Come on, Jay. Let's go walk around. Leave these two to gossip about us like they were doing last night while they cleaned up."

He pulled the door shut behind us, and I headed down the driveway to the sidewalk. We walked in peaceful silence for a block before he stopped me.