Status: Back in action!! I am currently writing more chapters, so be on the lookout!

A Little More Personal

Anti-Social

"What's goin' on between you and Jay?" Daddy asked that night at dinner.

"Nothing. We're just friends."

"It sure didn't look that way."

"Daddy, please. There's no way he could like me that way."

"Taresa Joan, that boy---"

"Frank, leave it be. She already told you nothing is going on between them. Even if there was, what does it matter? Jay's a respectable, wonderful young man."

"He's always gone, Jenny. How is that wonderful for Reece?"

"Mama, Daddy! Stop! It's my life. I'll decide what's right. . . please."

"You decided John was right. Look how that turned out."

"Frank."

I slammed back from the table and stormed to my room. After locking the door, I flopped onto my bed; my ceiling never was so interesting. I could hear my parents arguing in the dining room until the phone rang.

"Hello? . . .Oh, hey, Jay. . . Hang on, I'll get---"

"I'm not in the mood to talk!" I shouted.

"Um, would you like to just leave a message, Jay? She's not feeling too social right nw. . . Alright. I'll let her know."

I shut off my light, curled up on the mattress, and allowed a tear to slip from my eye. It trailed down my temple before disappearing into my hair. I slowly fell asleep with only my quiet crying to lull me to unconsciousness.

I buried my feet in the warm sand surrounding the carousel. The pain was flaking, causing the inanimate horses to appear menacing and demonic. I cradled the head of a black-and-grey-speckled equine. There was a star on its forehead. The sky was bright blue; the sun was high in the sky; a light sheen of sweat coated my skin from the heat. The treese around the meadow I was in hsaded me from the brunt of the sun's harsh rays.

"Your mom said I could find you here."

"Hi, Jay."

"Why haven't you called back? It's been almost a week."

"I know."

"So . . . why?"

"'Cause I didn't want to."

"Reece, what's goin' on."

"It's nothin'."

"Your mom said you and your dad got into a fight."

"So?"

"Do you not like me anymore?"

"My dad had a point," I muttered as Jay sat next to me.

"And that was?"

"I suck at making good choices. I mean, seriously. I was engaged to John, and he treated me like I was a welcome mat. I let him do it. I could've chosen to stop it."

"You can't change people."

"I know."

"What does this have to do with me?"

"Everything."