Strawberries

***.

I've been waiting for you to come home. You're rarely ever home at night. You're always out with her. It's been that way for a while. I hear the door open. I hear footsteps in the hall and the walls crack slightly, and then I hear the bedroom door open and a stream of light falls over my face. I'm not facing the door though. I close my eyes and you approach the bed.

"Are you awake?" I hear you whisper. I shiver a tiny bit, smelling her perfume. It's a nasty scent that I never understood your liking of. I try not to move. You'll think I'm asleep. "Are you awake?" you ask again. I am inclined to roll over and pretend to be happy to see you. It's a lie.

"Hi," I mutter. You lift the comforter up and you crawl in next to me. You don't even trouble yourself to change out of the nice clothes covering you. But you smell like sex, no matter how hard you have tried to hide it. Like always. You pull me close and I eventually fall asleep uncomfortably next to you.

I wake up long before you. Why is this? Because while you slumber on my bed, I must go to work. I.e; when you have to do something to earn your money. Not when you're living off your 'boyfriend'. In case you forgot. But I can handle it.

What do I do? You forgot already? I'm an actor. It doesn't bring in much, but it's enough to pay for me and you. You must have seen one of my movies, or seen me in a commercial. But then again, if you have not, I am not surprised.

After one long day of rehearsing, and you're at home for once. We are sitting on the couch, and my commercial is about to air for the first time. Surely you'll watch it. Won't you? I start to get ecstatic and I say your name over and over, pointing at the screen. But your phone starts to vibrate just as the commercial starts. You have to take this call. It's her. You tell me to shut up just as I appear on the screen and you start to talk. You use that giggly voice that used to be for me. The next advertisement comes on and I blink a couple times. I pull my feet up onto the couch, hugging my knees. My couple seconds of happiness is over. I hear her voice loudly though the phone isn't on speaker. When the game comes back on, you;re still talking.

Your words start to get jumbled up with the announcer's words, and you get up off the couch and leave the room so I can hear the game. How nice of you to always think of me.

You come back into the room and you're sliding your phone into your pocket. You have a smile on your face and no doubt you two just arranged a date. You make a cute couple, you really do.