Strawberries

Carnival

At this moment, the front door opens and I hear you calling my name. I slide my sleeve quickly over my wrist and go out into the hallway. "Yeah?" I call, and you look up at me with a smile on your face, walking up the steps. "Guess what?" you ask cheerfully, kissing my cheek.

"What?" I'm inclined to ask, and you show me what you were hiding behind your back. "I got us tickets for the carnival tonight," you say proudly.

I blush, and look up at you, "When is it?" I pondered, why is you being so sweet right now? Did you break up with her?

"Tonight," You say to me, and I'm literally jumping inside. You're going to take me out somewhere?

"Do you want to go?" you ask sweetly, showing me the tickets. I can't help but smile and push the suspicious thoughts out of my mind.

"I'd love to."

"Great, come on," You say ecstatically. You grab my hand, and we're out the door. In the car, on the way there, there's a comfortable silence. We stop at a red light and you lean over and kiss the corner of my mouth. Instead, I move my face to the side more, and your lips are on mine. I smile under the kiss.

We find a parking space and as we get out of the car, you take my hand happily and pull me towards the lights of the carnival. We give our tickets to the vendor, and once we're inside, you lead me over to one of the game stands. "I want to win you something," you whisper, squeezing my shoulder. You hand the girl behind the counter a bill, and she hands you three baseballs. I watch as you chuck the first one at the stack of milk bottles, knocking all three over with your first try. "Pick one," you tell me, smiling proudly.

I gape at you, but a smile slowly spreads across my face. "The teddy bear," I purr into your ear, shyly. I catch your shiver by over confidently putting my arm around your waist. You look nervous now, but go on with asking the girl for the big, fluffy teddy bear. You hand it to me, and I take it in my arms; hugging it tightly.

"Thank you, Joe," I whisper, sticking my nose into the fluff. You just smile and wrap your arm around me, leading me away from the stand. I tuck the teddy bear under my elbow and look up at the Ferris wheel. "Joe," I whisper. "Can we ride on the Ferris wheel?"

You smile at me, "Yeah, come on." He chuckled and took me over to the ferris wheel. You handed the man the tickets and we sat in one of the seats. I snuggled into you; my head in your neck.

The ride starts, and we get to the top. I look down and I make a shriek noise in the back of my throat. We are so high.

You giggle. "Are you afraid of heights?" you ask as I sit back down on the seat next to you. -theres more-

"A little bit," I mutter with embarrassment and snuggle back into your side. You kiss the top of my hair and hold me as we start to descend, and I breathe a sigh of relief.

As we start going back up again, I sit up and take a deep breath of the fresh air. At the wheel's peak, you put both arms around my neck and pull me close, kissing my cheek.

I whimper, because I wanted that kiss somewhere else. You smile at me mischievously, and I playfully roll my eyes.

We find a cart in the middle of the fairgrounds that sells French fries, pizza and soda. You hold my hand as we walk over to it, and you order a large fries for us to share. As we take a seat at a picnic table, you smile at me and lean over the table to kiss me. My, you're in a good mood tonight. You hold my hand across the table and your skin feels warm on mine. You pick up a French fry and hold it in front of my face, and I open my mouth to let you feed me. You put French fry after French fry into my mouth, but I start to wonder why you're being so... nice. I close my mouth and look away for a moment. "What's wrong?" you ask,

"Nothing," I say, but can't meet your gaze.

“Nick?”

I swallow. “It’s nothing, Joe. I’m gonna go take a walk.” I get up off the table, leaving the food behind as I stuff my hands in my pockets and start to talk away.

“Nick,” You call after me, getting up from your seat at the table. I stop, and you catch up to me, placing your hands on my shoulders. I almost shrug them off, but instead I just stand there. You stand in front of me and I look down at the ground, at your shoes. “Baby? What’s wrong?”

I grit my teeth, suddenly wanting to just tell you. But I swallow the words I’m longing to say. “Nothing.”

“Nick, Baby.” You put a finer under my chin, tilting my head up. “I can tell when something’s not right with you. And right now it isn’t. Are you okay?”

“Why do you care?” I growl. You take your finer away from my chin, looking at me with raised eyebrows.

“Because I’m worried about you. You shouldn’t be upset tonight. Tonight, I want to have fun with you.”

“Yeah,” I mumble. “after you’ve been out screwing Rory all day, most likely.”

I start to walk away, but you roughly grab my shoulder and yank me back. “What?” you snarl. “Don’t you dare bring any of that into this, Nicholas Jonas. How do you even know her name?”

“So it’s true,” I say softly. I knew it. I step away again, but once again you grab me and pull me back. This time, you keep a painful grip on my arms.

“How do you know her name?”

“Your phone,” I say matter-of-factly. You narrow your eyes at me, but then look around at the people around us. “Come here,” you order, pulling me away from the canopy covered eating area. You drag me across the fairgrounds, not caring that your nails are digging into my upper arm or that you’re walking too fast for me to keep up and I keep stumbling. On the edge of the fairgrounds, there’s almost no one here, and there’s a few unused game booths. You pull be behind one of them, finally pinning be against the wall.

“You were in my phone?” you demand, pushing me hard against the wall. I grunt as the wood digs into my shoulder blades.

“It’s not like you care about keeping them from me. You bring girls to the house all the time.”

You narrow your eyes at me, pressing hard against my chest with both hands as you glare into my eyes. “That’s not the point here, Nick. You were in my phone?”

“Yeah. Sorry,” I grumble.

“You don’t ever touch my stuff, Nick,” you tell me, curling your lip in anger. “And you know damn well just you isn’t good enough for me. You want me to just leave you?”

“I don’t care,” I say, and at this point I don’t. But tears are welling in my eyes from how you’re mistreating me.

“So maybe I should just leave your sorry ass here?” you press your hand hard into my shoulder and I grit my teeth at the pain of the wood scraping against my back.

“Go ahead.”

“You better just know that I’m all you have in this world,” you seethe.

“Don’t you have a date you need to be on?” I ask smartly. “With Rory, maybe?”

This, I guess, tears it. I don’t even see you raising your fist until it collides with my cheek and I stumble to the side, screaming and almost falling over. And by the time I gather my bearings again, you’re nowhere in sight.

I slide down to a sitting position on the dirt, hugging my knees and tucking my chin into my chest. I feel hot tears run down my cheeks, and I can hardly breathe. Almost absently, I pull my sleeve back from my wrist, running two fingers over the still hurting cuts on the skin. You’ll probably leave the fair without me and make me take the bus home.

~

I walk around the fairgrounds until closing, just not wanting to go back home. By this time, you should either be out somewhere or still in bed. I should have known you’d never do anything nice for me.