Cypher

Unknown

“Did she hit her head when she fell?” The voice rang across my mind as clear as a bell. An angel’s voice still rang even after he was silent.

I can’t help but wonder if I’ve died, even as the darkness begins to fade. My friends knew something was wrong, so why wouldn’t they tell me. Why didn’t they warn me against whatever it is that is happening if they knew something?

“Dessi,” the angel spoke again. His voice was soft and held a loving kindness you usually only heard from people you know and love in return. “Dessi, can you hear me?”

In a rush of white light my perfect darkness disappeared. The light overwhelmed me, brining with it a wave of agony as the pain crashed in on me.

I gasp for breath and try to claw myself free from the pain that is attacking me. Two strong hands grasp my wrists. The grip is strong, but the touch is not intended to harm me. I feel a warm water droplet make its way down my cheek. God I hate crying.

“I’ve got it,” Fayth says, her voice is warped; it sounds wrong in a way I can’t put my finger on.

“Fayth,” I can hear my voice shaking as the pain washes over me in another wave.

“Don’t worry honey, I’m right here.” Fayth whispers into my ear. “This is going to make the pain go away.”

“Hold her down,” the angel’s voice is tight as if he was in pain. But why would he be in pain? Nothing made sense to me.

I feel the needle pierce my skin; I thought nothing of how the pain would soon be gone. All I could think of was getting that needle out of my arm. I hate needles!

“Shh…Shh… it’s okay,” Fayth’s soft voice mummers.

I can feel my self start to relax slightly. I know that if Fayth says I’ll be okay, then I would be okay. Fayth has always kept her word, and she always protects us, she would never let anything happen to me.

My world begins to focus past the blinding light that the angel is holding above me eyes. The first face u see clearly makes me gasp. His shaggy brown hair partly covers his aquamarine eyes. He is watching me with a soft look that strangers aren’t suppose to give you.

He is holding both my hands flat against his chest with one hand in an effort to restrain me. His other hand is placed on my shoulder on the opposite side of where he is holding my hands on him. The angel was leaning over me to keep his hold on me.

The angel met my eyes and a strange longing passed through me. I relaxed back into the carpet and his weight on my shoulder shifted so he would not hurt me.

A look of despair and pain passed across his face but was gone seconds later. For anyone who hadn’t been paying close attention would have missed it.

“Stay where you are Dessi,” his voice whispered thickly with a hint of a Italian accent.
I nodded slightly.

“Good,” he whispered. His voice danced across my skin like a gentle breeze on a summer night, it sent shivers down my spine and the back up.

“Kellen,” Fayth’s gruff voice brought me out of my trance. She sounded more annoyed then I had ever heard her before.

He moved away from me quickly leaving me lying on the soft carpet alone. Some strange part of me wanted to call him back. All I could do to stop myself from calling him back is bite my tongue. Fayth watched the man with wary eyes, but when her gaze turned to me it was all worry.

My three friends were on all different sides of me, trying to offer comfort. Each one of them was touching me on some part of my body, in an effort to calm me.

“What happened?” I asked through a shaking voice.

“Are you still hurting?” Harmony asks in a sweet voice.

“No,” I say.

“Can you stand?” Fayth asks.

“For goodness sake, give her a minute,” Melody snaps. They are never like this, Melody doesn’t snap at anyone, especially not Fayth.

“What’s wrong?” I ask.

“Nothing,” all three of them answer in unison.

I look at each of them in turn. We have never kept secrets from each other, and we don’t lie to each other, but as it turns out I have been keeping my new found running ability and new found hunger from them so I have no room to bitch.

“Your lying,” I whisper feeling slightly hurt. All of their faces soften slightly.

“You know your friends well enough to know that the only thing that is wrong right now is that you’re hurt.”

I look over to where he was, he is leaning up against a maple wood desk. His arms were crossed across his chest showing off the lean muscles in his upper arms. The desk he was leaning against is covered in papers. Some looked to be nothing important but then there where the files that looked strangely like ones from an FBI movie I had seen.

“What happened to me?” I ask only looking at Kellen.

“Allergic reaction most likely,” he says simply.

“Allergic reaction?” I say, not bothering to hide my skepticism. He just simply nods his head.

“Allergic reactions don’t give you tattoos,” I hiss.

His face never changes from the peaceful look that he has had plastered on his face since I have awoken. “The tattoo is out symbol. When you came in the first time you got it. It proves that you actually signed in instead of just sneaking in.”

“Why wasn’t it there before?” I ask him as I try to sit up.

“Your allergic reaction must have brought it out, your only suppose to see it when under a black. Here let me show you.” He reached into his desk as he was telling me about the tattoo; he grabbed a small black light from the front drawer. Fayth held out her right arm and he ran the over her arm showing the hidden Chimera.

I nod, but I can’t shake the feeling that there was something they weren’t telling me.The door suddenly opened causing me to jump a little.

“Marcy!” Kellen snapped, his charming face vanishing. “You know that you have to knock before you come into my office.”

“Oh sorry,” she said with the most wicked smirk I had ever seen, “ I thought your little star would want something to drink.” She started across the room with her eyes trained on me. Holding the tray out in front of her she pretended to slip and as she “fell” she dropped the entire tray of glasses on me. Fayth and Melody jump to their feet. Melody grabbed Fayth’s arm telling her without words not to do anything stupid.

“Oops, I’m sorry,” Marcy says while trying to stifle a laugh.

“Get out of here,” Fayth growls. Fayth began to growl like a dog would if you intruded it on its territory. I looked around me to see if anyone else had heard it, Melody and Harmony were fidgeting in the back, trying to act as it nothing had happened. Kellen looked like he wanted to jump in but didn’t dare interfere, and as for Marcy, she didn’t look at all phased. If I hadn’t been paying attention I would have missed the hint of a real growl in her voice.

“I suggest you go Marcy. I won’t stop her if she goes after you.” Melody promises coldly. Again Fayth growls from deep within her throat. It sounded like a warning, like a warning you wouldn’t get again, that she would attack next time.

“Don’t you dare Pup,” Marcy spat.

With Harmony’s help I am able to stand but I am still dumbfounded as to what is going on.
A loud crash tares me out of my thoughts. The last time I say Fayth she was at least ten feet away from Marcy but she had her by the throat up against the door. Melody had a look on her face that could only say one thing, told you so.

“Get out!” Fayth snaps her voice vicious.

“Make me,” the woman hissed.

Fayth moves forward and puts more pressure on Marcy’s neck making it so she can’t breathe.

“Kellen,” Marcy squeaks. “Kellen, please…”

“Get out Marcy,” he growls coolly. “I don’t want to hear any of your shit today.”

“Fayth let her go,” I plead. Fayth turns and looks at me. “Oh my God, Fayth your eyes, their…their changing are you ok?”

Fayth stepped away from Marcy and shakes her head. Looking up at Marcy Fayth hisses “Go Fast.” Marcy hesitated only for a second before she rushed out of the room.

“I’m sorry about her,” Kellen says softly.

“You need to get rid of her.” Melody sighs.

“I know,” Kellen says while looking at me. “Are you alright?”

“I’m fine just wet and a bit shaken.”

Kellen smiles his charming face returning. “Here put this on.” Kellen grabs the bottom of his shirt and pulls up, showing a smooth expanse for a stomach. Wash board abs, perfect tan, and the beautiful curve of his hips makes him almost irresistible.

He then turns on his heels and walk out and closes the door to allow me a chance to change into the dry clothing. I stare after him for a moment, until Harmony squeezes my hand drawing my attention back to my friends.

Fayth moved to against the door as Melody and Harmony help me strip off my wet shirts and sweater. I slipped Kellen’s shirt on that he had given me. The inside was warm and fuzzy, and smelled faintly of camp fire smoke. The cold chills that had been rushing through me disappeared as the warmth of the sweater surrounded me.

The fabric itself held a deep musky scent. I took a deep breath allowing the scent to wash over me. Any panic that I had been feeling quickly faded into nothingness.

“Ready?” Fayth asks, brining me once again back to the real world. I looked up to see a strange smile playing across her lips.

“I’m ready.” I could tell that my voice sounded dreamy but I didn’t care.

My friends all shared a silent smile, then Fayth opens the door to allow Kellen back into his office.

He enters with his charming smile in place once again. When his eyes fell on me he paused. His smile changed ever so slightly but even so it sent chills across my skin.

“How are you feeling?” He asked me, his eyes never leaving mine.

“I guess I am ok.”

“I’m sorry your birthday party has been ruined.” Kellen said as he moved forward slowly. “Perhaps if you ever have a chance to return, you’re welcome to. It will be free for all of you.”

“Thanks Kellen,” Harmony says with a small smile.

I am sorry to interrupt but we really must be going.” Fayth said her eyes still on Kellen.

“Dessi should probably have something to eat,” Melody offered.

“Did you walk,” Kellen asks as we turn to leave.

“N…” I try to say but Fayth gives me a nasty look.

“Yes,” Fayth said in a stern voice.

“Then let me give you a ride and we can stop for food.” Kellen offers.

“You don’t have to do that,” Melody says shyly.

Kellen waves the comment away. “Think of it as my birthday present for Dessi, as well as an apology for Marcy’s behavior.”

I wonder for a moment if the only reason he is being so nice to me is because of what happened, but his intense gaze tell me something different.

“Ok, “I agree

I feel Fayth relax beside me and I take a chance to sneak a glance at her. Her face shows nothing, it is a mask of careful neutrality.

When she sees’s me looking at her she smiles and holds her hand out to me. I take it with trembling fingers. She pulls to her side and wraps an arm around me.

“Don’t worry Dessi, I won’t let you fall,” she promises misreading my nervousness.

Melody stands at Fayth’s other side and Harmony takes my other hand. Kellen leads the four of us out of the room and down the hall. In the lobby I feel everyone’s eyes following us. When `it’s just the four of us I sometimes forget what a strange group we really are, but in public the way people watch us make it impossible to forget.

I feel Fayth’s and Harmony’s hold on me tightens. I know without looking Melody is holding Fayth’s other hand and that their grip had tighten as well.

We let the glares from the strangers wash away as we walked out of the building holding each other close.