Status: More comments/ criticisim means more updates :)

All an Illusion

Melinda

Melinda*

Melinda tossed and turned in her bed. The room was dark and shaded, the only light came through the cheap soiled curtains that covered the windows. The room stank and was so thick with dust, that Melinda could taste it on her lips. She tried for the hundredth time to reach for the phone, only a meter away on the desk but a spasm of pain caught her and she flopped back on to the bed. This time she didn't try to hold it in but let the scream rip from her lips in a long cry of pain. She clenched her fists and screamed again. But it was no use. The neighbors were on holiday and apart from that there was no one else around for miles.

She couldn't do anything except lay on the sweaty bed in a pool of sweat and urine. Every now and then her back would start to ache and she would switch to her other side. But then she would see the phone and her painkillers lying innocently on the table and the tears would come. She tried one more pathetic attempt but the pain only hit again, and this time when she screamed she yelled Jade's name.

“Jade,” she panted. “Jade, where are you?”

Jade*

Jade felt slightly disorientated as she tried to stand and failed. A hand reached out to help her and she went to grasp it but it was covered in something sticky and she slipped. Bemused, she looked down to her pale arms and realized that it was her, who was covered in the sticky goo, a horrifyingly scarlet red goo that ran in streams from her arms to her face, to her mouth, to her lips… Her eyes swept over her torn short and jeans, to the revolting blood stains that were slowly blossoming against her skin. They followed the trail down to the very dead carcasses that were strewn around her. As if in a stance, she slowly stood, gathering the rags of her t shirt to her chest to feel the pace of her heart beat. But it wasn't there. There was no sound. Just the echoing loud silence as she realized and remembered the events of the past twenty four hours, of the scarily never ending nightmare she still appeared to be in. She sank to her knees again and turned to her side and heaved. She waited for the vomit to hurl through her throat but it never came. She couldn't puke because oddly, her body wanted the food, the blood to stay. She wanted it to stay. Drunkenly she rolled onto her back and stared venomously at the two vampires towering above her.

“I thought this was supposed to fill me,” she said, unblinkingly. “Why do I still feel… hungry?”

They said nothing, unmoving and as still as marble they watched her. They looked down at her, with pitiful sorrowful expressions that Jade simply hated. She didn’t know these people. But enough as she didn't want to admit it, she needed them. In twenty four hours, her whole world had been flipped over, spilled onto the concrete and trodden on. Everything she knew was a lie and with each second she was beginning to feel less in a dreamlike state and more anxious and aware to what had happened to her.

“I need to see my mother now,” she said more gently as she finally crawled to her feet, still clutching her shirt to her chest, “Please? She needs me, it’ll take only like an hour or so, and then I’ll be back.”

She made a move to run, but they were instantly blocking her way, twisting her arms behind her back. Jade was pretty sure she was stronger than the guy, Jasper but with their weight combined, an escape was momentarily impossible. Instead Jade stopped fighting and let them drag her back through the forest. She let them drag her through the tiny river that washed away most of the blood from her self. But when it came to putting on the new clothes they gave her, she had to refuse. She wasn't a charity case and she needed answers.

“Please,” she begged one last time, “I need to see my mother, her names Melinda and she needs me.”