Love Spells Magic

Whiffle Ball

Image
Banner made by Michaelah aka my heart stops.

As cheesy as it may sound, I went to bed last night with a smile on my face. Spending time with Nick never failed to bring me happiness. Just being in his presence and talking to him could put a smile on my face. The hugs and kisses wasn’t a bad bonus either. Especially his kisses. His last night kiss had left me breathless and I sure as hell wasn’t complaining.

I combed my tangled hair with my fingers as I stared blankly at myself in the reflection of the bus mirror. My hair was in such a mess after not brushing it last night before I went to bed. I regretted that decision as I struggled to get the knots out. Taking my brush in my hand I let it through my hair and pulled it back away from my shoulders.

I immediately groaned as soon as I did. I was going to kill Nick whenever I saw him next. Over night a love mark had formed at the base of my neck due to the carried away goodnight kiss I had received last night. After I got out of the shower, I tried my best to cover it up with as much foundation I could without it looking completely obvious.

The most annoying part was the fact that I had to have my hair up in ponytail for most of my dances so it wouldn’t get in my way. There was no way it was going to go unnoticed by some of the girls on the bus. Whatever. I would deal with it when I had to.

Walking out into the mini kitchen, I grabbed a box of Fruit Loops and dumped it into a bowl without any milk. I really didn’t like cereal with milk, just only the actual cereal part.

Reiley smirked as she came and sat down next to me in the booth. “Nice hickey.”

I rolled my eyes. “Shut up.”

Reiley laughed. “Did you have a good time last night? Where did he take you?” I launched into discussion of my date last night talking in a fast speed trying to get all the details out. I started from the beginning from when he had picked me up to the end when he had dropped me and gave me a ‘goodbye.’

I stopped abruptly when Selena walked into the lounge area. She seemed refreshed after our one luxurious day off and I couldn’t blame her. She flashed us a smile and told us good morning. We mumbled back our good morning’s and continued our conversation. I could see her eyeing us from the corner of my eye as she tried to listen to our conversation.

Sure enough, a couple minutes later she popped in with a question. “You went on a date last night?” I nodded unsurely. I wasn’t sure where this was going to go. “With Nick?”

“Yes.” I answered slowly. Who else was I going to go with? Matt Damon?

Selena smiled. “That’s great.” And with that she went and sat next to Hilary striking up a conversation with her about who knows what. I managed to not talk to her for the rest of the morning before we were ordered to enter the arena and begin our rehearsals before finally ending with a sound check.

Reiley and I went in earlier than the other dancers as I hoped to find Nick. The problem with being in so many arenas in a span of a couple days was one could never find their way around. We always ended up getting somewhat lost and it would take us forever to get back to our previous location.

We heard laughter coming from the right side of us and Reiley and I proceeded to follow it hoping that we would finally reach the boys and the rest of the band. Sure enough the boys were all on stage goofing off and having fun. An amusing sight was unfolding in front of us as Joe tried to balance, what I think was a baseball bat, on his forehead and walk around at the same time. I burst into laughter as the bat came down and hit him square in the nose. Joe flinched at the pain but shook it off like all boys do.

Trying to stifle the giggles that were escaping my mouth, both Reiley and I walked up the stairs onto the stage to join them. I wrapped my arms around Nick’s waist from behind and set my chin gently down on his shoulder. He turned and gave me an adorable smile. “Hi.”

Leaning down he kissed my hair before I released my grip on him. He turned around and leaned down and pecked my lips quickly as he slipped both his arms around my waist holding me close to him.

“Eleven year old in the room. Keep the PDA to the minimum.” Kevin joked.

I laughed as I searched for Frankie. He wasn’t even paying attention to what we were doing and was talking to Maya on the other side of the stage. I snapped back to the conversation that was happening around me. “So what are you guys up to?”

Joe grinned. “We’re about to start a game of whiffle ball. Want to play?”

I shifted my eyes to Reiley who was standing next to me and shrugged. “Okay. We’ll play.” Joe called over Maya and Frankie so they could pick teams. Joe and Nick were opposing captains who hurriedly picked their teams. It ended up being Joe, Maya, Kevin, Garbo, and Frankie verses Nick, John, Ryan, Jack, Reiley and me.

“Pick your girlfriend to be on your team. Way not to be biased at all.” Garbo snickered.
I chuckled. “Nick that may have not been your best choice to do that. I am absolutely horrible at whiffle ball.”

Nick narrowed his eyes. “Now you tell me? I would have let Joe keep you on his team.”
I dropped my jaw as Nick’s warm laughter rang through out the air. “Thanks a lot, boyfriend.” Nick chuckled once again and came over to give me a quick hug. We started the game fairly quickly as soon as some of the tech people moved the equipment and all the wires off to the side of the stage.

The game was fairly simple since they had to change the rules here and there to accommodate the huge stage. The pitcher would throw to whoever was batting from edge of the stage. They would be the only ones on stage. Everybody else would be in the seats area. If the ball went over a certain section it was considered a home run.

The boys were right now arguing with where the bases would be. One person would say it would be too far off to the right while someone else would deflate the proposal saying it would be a too easy of a game. Reiley was keeping Frankie occupied by agreeing to the challenges Frankie was proposing to Reiley. She wouldn’t take no for an answer and certainly couldn’t turn down a challenge.

I swung my legs over the side of the stage as the boys kept talking. I wasn’t even sure if they were on the same topic anymore. I had never realized how gossipy boys were till I met them. I sighed and looked down at my chipped nail polish on my fingernails. All my fingers were different colors after I had gotten bored one night a few days ago.

I was startled when someone came and sat down next to me. I turned to see Maya sitting down next to me with a smile on her face. “Hey.”

Even though Nick and his brothers were best friends with Maya, I had never actually met her. I had occasionally seen her here and there backstage talking to Mrs.Jonas or hanging out with Frankie but I never had the chance to talk to her. “Hi.” I replied with a grin.

Maya looked behind her and stared at the boys still talking and turned back to me. “How long do you think it’s going to take them to realize that their spending all their time trying to place the bases instead of playing?”

I laughed. “Probably a while.” A thought occurred to me which I had completely forgotten about till now. “By the way, thanks for helping Nick out with my Christmas present. He put in the note that you helped pick some of the stuff out.”

Maya grinned. “No problem. He was totally clueless on what kind of flavors to get.” She paused. “He’s really happy with you, you know.”

“Really? Thanks. That means a lot coming from someone who spends most of their time surrounded by his family.”

She smiled shyly. “He’s had a hard time with his girlfriends in the past. They’ve all been good to him but it just never seemed to work out between them. I hope it does with you two.”

“I’m pretty happy with him too.” I glanced over at Nick who was laughing at something his Garbo had said. The smiles that radiated off of him just let me be happy. His life was more difficult than others but it certainly did pay off in the end. Seeing him have some time to be a regular teenager was not that often and I was glad he was enjoying life right now.

I turned back Maya and tilted my head slightly to my left side. “We really should spend some more time together.”

Maya nodded. “That would be great.” It was then when Kevin called us over to join them. We both scrambled up and walked over to the others. We quickly split off into our teams. Nick’s team was up to bat first, which I was not looking forward to. I was a good runner once I actually hit the ball. But the chances of me hitting the ball were usually very low.

Nick went up to bat first using the advantage that he was the captain. He hit the plastic ball towards left field and miraculously sprinted to second base. Now, Reiley and I were the only ones left to bat after a few minutes. All the boys on my team had successfully made one round around the bases. Reiley was up to bat and hit a ground ball and jogged to first.

Joe was pitching for his team. He tossed the ball up in the air playfully and caught it again. “Ready, Cady?” Tucking my hair behind my ears, I nodded. I missed the first pitch. And the second. The third time I barely hit it but they called it a foul. Frustrated, I let out a sigh.

“Wait!” Nick called out.

Joe looked at his younger brother. “What?”

Nick came up to me and stood behind me. He turned my body so I was facing my right and perfected the placement of the bat on my shoulder.

“Hey, no fair! You can’t help her!” Joe yelled.

“Shut up, yes I can.” Nick retorted.

Nick wrapped his arms around me and placed his hands above mine on the bat. He ordered his brother to throw the ball. Joe just shook head and threw another soft pitch. My arms swung downwards and made contact with the ball. I didn’t even bother to see where the ball would go, I had actually hit the damn ball. Letting my long legs carry me, I ran towards first. Looking behind me, I took a chance and tried to get to second base.

I tried to control my breathing but got distracted when I saw Nick motioning towards me. Searching the ‘field’ I saw that Garbo was a well of a way from any throwing distance. I ran as fast as I could to third base, past it and too home. My entire team was cheering for me as I finally made it past home plate. Still running, I jumped into Nick’s arms and felt myself being spun around in circles. Laughing, I looked down at Nick grinning at me with a love struck look on his face.

That moment he set me down, my head tried to sort itself out from the dizziness. When I finally regained balance, the grin on my face couldn’t be wiped out. I loved spending time with Nick. He truly made me happy. Despite all the little fights we had, nothing was ever going to change that.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter was so frustrating for me to write, not sure why.

My sister is in her school's performance of Willy Wonka so I'm rushing off to see that right now.

Leave comments!
Love,
Kodhai <3