‹ Prequel: You Should Know
Status: Complete

Everybody Cares, Everybody Understands

Break Myself

“Bob, can I talk to you really quick?” I had to corner Bob at the wedding. I hated to bring down the mood, but he was Gabe’s manager and he was bound to find out about Gabe punching Lucas. I didn’t have a good feeling about the whole situation.

“Of course, I’m a few sheets to the wind, so I hope that doesn’t matter,” He laughed and leaned against the bar.

“I want you know something, but don’t want you to get all mad,” I prefaced leaning against the bar as well and facing him.

“Shoot, Sadie,” He just smiled.

“Gabe may have punched my boss today after he saw him trying to kiss me. My boss is sort of in love with me and I don’t know what he’ll do now and I thought you should be prepared,” I kept wringing my hands, I was so nervous.

“Are you fucking kidding?” Bob was annoyed and shook his head. “I know he has a temper, but I thought we were over this shit,” He gulped his beer and set it down sort of harshly back on the bar.

“He was just reacting to me being attacked by my boss. It was natural, but I want you to know, just in case he decides to take action,” I pulled my hands apart and turned away from Bob, putting my hands on the bar. He put a hand on my back and leaned on the bar so we were shoulder to shoulder.

“We’ll take care of it. I’ll make sure he knows to check himself and you remind him too, okay?” Bob lifted his glass and clinked it to mine that sat on the bar. I picked my drink up and sipped it.

At least it was off of my chest and his management was prepared. I was a bit annoyed that Gabe didn’t seem to think Lucas was a threat, but I didn’t want to rule it out. I wanted to make sure I covered all of my bases. I left Bob and sat with Victoria and Ryland for a bit and just watched the crowd. It was small and intimate and all of our close friends and family, this is exactly what I had pictured for Meg and Rob. I was so excited for them.

It was getting late and Meg and Rob had left and Gabe made his way over to us. He laid down in the booth and put his head in my lap. He reached his arms up and pulled me down for a kiss, he was drunk. I just smiled at him and kissed his nose again.

“Did you have fun?” I laughed sitting back up and running my hands through his hair, he just nodded.

“You ready to go home?” Gabe slurred and stood up. He held a hand out for us and I got up off of the couch.

“Good night, guys!” I gave Ryland and Victoria each a hug and then Gabe and I made our way out.

“I’m gonna be hurtin’ in the morning,” Gabe slung his arm around my shoulder and he had taken the ace bandage off of his hand.

“You mean you’re hand will hurt when you’re sober. Look how bruised it is,” I sighed and caressed it lightly with my hand.

“It’s fine.”

“I’ll wrap it up again and we’ll have you ice it when we get home. You should probably take some ibuprofen or something too,” I held him tighter with my hand that was around his waist and Gabe kissed the side of my head.

+++

Monday morning came too quickly. I was nervous to go to work today. The weekend had been low-key, but I was waiting for that knock on the door; that knock to tell us that they were charging Gabe or the knock to come and arrest him. I was so nervous all weekend.

When I was finished getting ready for work I gave Gabe a quick kiss on the forehead. He had only gotten in a few hours before. Patrick had called him in to put some background vocals on one of their last tracks and he was there all day and night. He was so excited for this record and to hit the road again soon. I was excited for him too. I loved seeing him happy.

When I got to work everything seemed to be in its right place. Nothing seemed abnormal. Margot greeted me when I came in and we chatted for a bit. I told her about the surprise wedding and everything that happened this weekend. She told me about confronting her friends and them making peace, but no mention of Lucas and a possible bruised face.
I went to my office and switched on my computer and sat and waited for it to boot up. The red light on my office phone was blinking meaning I had voicemails. I picked up my phone and dialed my voicemail.

”Message one: Sadler, its Lucas. I’m going to be out of the office today and I was wondering if you could just e-mail me your proposals, like we had talked about. Give me a call on my cell or shoot me an e-mail. I’m sure they’ll be great, but just in case I get questions I want to know the details of what you’re submitting. Okay, good luck.”

Lucas didn’t sound like anything had happened. I was really freaked out by his message and how calm and professional it was. It didn’t sit well with me. Maybe it was supposed to make me feel at ease, but my stomach turned even tighter. I wanted to believe that he was letting it go and just accepting his punishment, but his past actions lead me to believe something else was going on.

I tried to set aside the weird message and get to work. It was hard to put it out of my mind all day and I struggled to concentrate. I didn’t get very far in my proposals and I couldn’t shake it. I didn’t call Lucas back or e-mail him, I just couldn’t. His response would have been calm and casual and it would have sent me over the edge. I wouldn’t have been able to handle him being so cavalier.

When I left work I met up with Gabe at Crush Management across town. He was there doing business and probably just hanging out with everyone until I got there. I finally arrived at the office and it was crazy. It seemed as if every band under the label was there. So, a low-key night was definitely out of the question now. I sighed as I saw Gabe and walked over to him.

“Hey, bad day?” He asked as he spun around in a chair and grabbed my waist to pull me with him.

“Terrible,” I couldn’t help but smile as we spun around.

“I’m sorry,” Gabe put his feet down to stop the spinning and pulled me closer.

“Aaww, love birds,” Travis McCoy from Gym Class Heroes cooed.

“My lady had a rough day,” Gabe told him as Travis sat down on the desk next to us.

“What happened, Lady Sadie?” Lady Said was Trav’s nickname for me, which he thought was cute, but I felt like I was at a renaissance fair.

“Just working under deadlines—“

“And her boss is a fucking pervert,” Gabe cut me off. He laughed it off, but you could hear the irritation in his voice.

“Whoa, what’s up with your boss?” Travis was everyone’s older brother. If you were his friend or one of his good friend’s significant other or friend, he was protective of you; that’s just who Travis is.

“Well, my boss sort of made some advances toward me and kissed me. Gabe punched him on Friday,” I leaned in closer on Gabe’s chest and out of his view and rolled my eyes.

“Dude, that’s what happened to your hand? Wish I had seen that. Sade, do you need me to talk to him?”

“No, Trav, but thank you,” I laughed. “I’m hoping it blows over and he doesn’t go after Gabe. That’s all we need right now, you know?”

“He was in the wrong. Even if Lucas comes after me, he’s gonna go down,” Gabe said a bit defensively.

“Gabe, I just don’t want this to hold up anything for you. I’m not glad that you punched him, but I appreciate the sentiment. He wasn’t at work today,” I told him.

“Did Gabe get him good?” Trav asked with a smile. They were both children. I sat up and went to get another chair and I put it next to Gabe’s and across from Travis.

“It happened to fast and we left without checking. He left me a voicemail and just sounded as if everything was okay. I felt so uneasy all day,” I admitted.

“Maybe he realized he deserved it,” Gabe smiled.

“Doubt it,” I shook my head.

“I got your back,” Trav smiled at me.

“Thanks,” I smiled in return. “What’s the party in here for?”

“Just everyone seemed to be in New York. You know this is where we hang out,” Travis stood up from sitting on the desk.

“Travis invited us to go out tonight, you want to come?” Gabe asked slouching back in his chair and swiveling it from side to side.

“I’d love to, but I’m just not in a good mood right now, but you go ahead. Trav, how long are you here for?” I asked running my hands through my hair and tying it up in a messy ponytail.

“We have a show here tomorrow, you should come!” He lit up with excitement.

“I’ll definitely come and see you tomorrow,” It may be a good distraction.

“I’m going to take Sadler to dinner and just take it easy with her, is it cool if we just see you tomorrow?” Gabe asked Travis. I was surprised he wasn’t going to go out.

“Gabe, I’m fine. Go out with the boys. William is even here,” I said motioning to William Beckett of The Academy Is… “Don’t stay in on my account,” I really was fine. I did like the idea of him staying home with me tonight, but his friends, our friends, that we don’t see all that often were back in town. I wanted him to be able to see them.

“No, I was away all weekend. I want to spend tonight with you. We’ll see Travie, the boys and William tomorrow,” Gabe kicked my feet and smiled.

“Listen to Gabe. We can all chill out tomorrow. You two go eat and I’ll see ya’ll tomorrow,” I got up and gave Travis a hug. He lifted me off the ground and squeezed me tight before setting me back down. “See you tomorrow my lady Sadie,” He winked as we parted.

“See you tomorrow, Trav.”

“Say it!” He demanded and raised an eyebrow at me, waiting for me to say it.

I rolled me eyes at him and smiled. “I’ll see you tomorrow my boy McCoy,” The nickname he came up with for himself for me to say.

“There you go!” He laughed and him and Gabe hugged before we left the office.

“Seriously, you didn’t have to leave them,” I started as Gabe and I got to the street. “But, I’m glad I get you all to myself,” I snaked and arm around his waist and he put his arm around my shoulders.

“I hated being at work all weekend. After everything that happened I should have been there for you…” He trailed as he pulled my body with his arms around my shoulders to start walking. “I’m here now. Let’s get some food and head home,” Gabe kissed my forehead as I looked up at him.

“I could eat a horse’s ass right about now,” I groaned feeling the pain in my stomach as I mentioned food.

“Let’s get you a horse’s ass then! Taxi!” Gabe hailed a cab in jest.

“Where can you even get horse?” I teased.

“I’m sure we can find it.”

“I’ll eat it if we find it!”

Gabe and I grabbed take out from a little vegetarian place we found and headed home. I was hungry, nervous, anxious and tired. I felt out of my own body with all these different emotions running through me. I kept them down as much as I could, but there was so much going on it was hard to keep it all in my head, at least for long. I was bound to crack soon and I didn’t want that to happen at work. I vented to Gabe and that gave me some release, but then I just got nervous for tomorrow.

I was dreading everyday this week. I was dreading seeing Lucas and the damage Gabe had done to his face. I was dreading what actions he was going to take against me or Gabe or if he was going to do anything at all. I played out every scenario that could possibly happen in my mind as I laid in bed with Gabe. He had fallen asleep a long time ago and I was awake with my mind racing. I wish I could be more like him in this situation and not seem to care, but I couldn’t. Someone had to be the prepared one. I had to be that person this time. I wasn’t going to let Gabe be the one to pick everything up again, it was my turn now and I wasn’t ready, which made me feel even more inferior and incompetent.

I had to regroup. I had to regain my confidence and be the protector this time.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, didn't realize it had been so long! Sorry :(

Thank you everyone! Love the comments! Thanks for reading and subscribing too - MUCH appreciated!

I hope you guys like it! Comment and let me know what you think!