‹ Prequel: You Should Know
Status: Complete

Everybody Cares, Everybody Understands

The Hardest Part

“Okay, give me your list,” I said to Gabe as we sat on opposite ends of the couch.

We had decided to compile a list and wait till a month before the baby was due to discuss names. We would get to know the baby and maybe it’d help us decide. We were going to swap lists and cross out ones we definitely didn’t like and star the ones we did.

“You know we’re having a girl, right?” Gabe laughed a bit as we started down the lists.

“I’m aware. I just like boy’s names for girls,” I shrugged and kept reading his list.

“Oh, there’s a girl’s name. Imogen?”

“I don’t know it sounded cute with Saporta…Did you want a traditional Spanish name or I see a bunch of Hebrew names here. Is that important to you? I totally support that if it’s what you want,” I smiled at him. I didn’t think he’d have as many traditional names as he did on his list.

“No, I just went to a website and I liked the meanings or they sounded nice. I didn’t really think about it that way,” He continued to star names.

“I know this is just old stuff, but seriously…I’m not very religious. I’d convert for you and we can just raise her that way,” We had talked and besides Christmas, which wasn’t a real religious holiday for me, I didn’t observe any Catholic holiday or service. Gabe was much more into the Jewish traditions, but we decided to raise her with knowledge of both religions and then let her choose when she got old enough –if that’s what she wanted.

“I don’t want you to convert for me. I love you the way you are; a Catholic carnivore,” He teased.

“I’m serious. I’m taking extra Spanish classes to brush up so I’m not such a disgrace.”

“Your Spanish is great. It was great before you started classes,” He tried to assure me.

“Well, I did minor in Spanish. Who knew it was going to get me a husband?”

“I did…wait, so you knew what I was saying that night when you drove me home,” It just dawned on him. I had to laugh.

“Of course I did. I was flirting by letting you think I didn’t know what you were saying,” I couldn’t stop laughing. He really just figured that out.

“Oh man, I was so nervous that night. I almost threw up on you and you knew,” He just kept laughing. I loved his little hiccup laugh, it made me smile.

“I used to have this thing where I was always sarcastic and proving guys wrong, but I tried to stop myself so I wasn’t single,” I laughed. After a bad breakup I had put up a wall, but I couldn’t keep it up it would have gotten me nowhere.

“And, you were just too cute not to flirt with. The persistence was amazing.”

“I knew what I wanted and now look at you – all knocked up,” He shook his head playfully.

“We’ll let Maury tell you if you really are the father,” I went back to the list.

“We have a name in common!” I smiled at him.

“Which one? I see several we have in common.”

“Me converting to Judaism and Olivia.”

“Do you really want to convert? Where is this coming from? I thought we were over this?”

“I know, but maybe we give her a base of Judaism and then right before her bah mitzvah we let her decide?”

“If that’s what you want to do. I’m okay with whatever we do, babe,” He leaned over and kissed me.

“I do. I want to start it right now,” I laughed.

“Well, let’s start with picking names. We have some time before we have to start worrying about this kid’s religion.”

“Okay, what do I even have left on your list?” I laughed.

“Olivia, Molly, Colby, Harper, Carson, Brody, Emery and Ellison. What about me?”

“Olivia, Claire, Rory, Stella, Sloane, which I’m guessing you were watching Ferris Bueller again,” I laughed and he nodded with a smile. “And I like Addison and Erin.”

“Oh I really liked Levi too. I never thought of that for a girl,” Gabe smiled and put my list down on the table and laid his head on my stomach.

“What about Levi Olivia Saporta?” I asked as I played with his hair.

“We can call her LOS! We’re doing it!” Gabe rubbed my belly.

“Or we can call her Levi,” I lazed.

“Hello little Levi,” Gabe cooed into my belly. “I can’t wait to meet you!”

“I can’t wait to meet the little one either!” Meg exclaimed as she came back into the apartment. She was with my mother and Emily.

“How are you feeling today, angel?” My mother asked putting bags down in the hallway.

“I’m fine. I feel good. How was lunch, shopping and your secret shower meeting?” I asked and Gabe uncurled himself from the couch and let my mother sit down.

“Everything is on course to be perfect!” Emily said as she sat in a chair next to me.

“Can’t wait! Are dad and Diego coming back here or meeting us for dinner?” I asked.

“They’re meeting us out. Also we ran into Rob while we were at the space and we invited him to dinner. He’s so nice for doing this for us,” My mother smiled and I looked at Meg to see if she was okay.

“I’m really sorry that I can’t make it tonight,” Meg said nervously. “My parents are in town and I promised I’d go to dinner with them tonight, but maybe we can all meet up for dessert afterwards?” Gabe put his arm around Meg and she smiled weakly at him.

“We’ll miss you, Meg.” I smiled knowing it was hard for her and even harder than I was supposed to know for her to see Rob.

“Speaking of, I should go and meet them. I’ll give you a call when we’re done and we’ll get together,” She was still really hurt by it all and Gabe hugged her tight and she made her way out of the apartment.

“Mom, you know that Rob and Meg had a bad break up right?” I couldn’t believe she could have forgotten that.

“Well, I figured since we were doing the shower in his space that they were okay with each other,” My mother really felt bad about it. I guess it could have seemed that way.

“I know, but it’s not like that. So, take it easy on inviting Rob to everything we do, okay?” I said politely smiling at my mother.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to,” She shrugged.

“She’ll be okay. She’s a big girl,” Gabe commented.

“Gabe, she’s also our friend!” I laughed.

“Let’s get ready for dinner and then we’ll see her for dessert!”

Emily helped me get up from the couch and then I went into the bedroom to change and get ready. Emily went home to change and my mother went back to her hotel. It was going to be nice to have dinner with my parents and Gabe’s family and our friends. I just hoped that when Meghan and Rob finally were in the same room it wouldn’t be so terrible for them or for anyone around them.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks guys for reading and subscribing! I know there isn't too much going on, but believe me it's coming soon.

Leave me comments and let me know what you think so far :)