‹ Prequel: You Should Know
Status: Complete

Everybody Cares, Everybody Understands

Secret

“Have you been waiting for me?” Lucas asked as he waltzed into his office. I was sitting in the chair outside his office for about fifteen minutes now.

“Yes, I have,” I was short. I had calmed myself down over the weekend; enough to confront Lucas without stabbing him.

“I said I was sorry,” Lucas said as he walked into his office.

“I don’t know if you understand what you did,” I followed him into his office.

“I covered my ass and the department’s ass, that’s what I did,” Lucas hung up his jacket on a coat rack in his office and then turned to look at me.

“You could have been there. I didn’t have to save you,” I said defensively.

“Like I told you, I had family emergency. My sister had a virus that she got from her son and I would have been contagious too. I am very appreciative of you coming back and helping me though. I really do appreciate it.”

“Bullshit. I feel used and if this part of some other agenda I’m definitely not okay with that,” I clenched my fists in anger and then crossed my arms across my chest so I didn’t start wailing on him.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” He laughed and sat down behind his desk.

“You are the most impossible man I’ve ever met,” I huffed and turned to walk out of his office.

“It obviously gets you all worked up,” He teased.

I couldn’t even dignify his remark without wanting to tear his head off. I was so angry. I walked back to my office and slammed the door shut.

My phone rang around one in the afternoon, it was Margot.

“Hey,” I answered.

“I have Courtney out here for you,” She sounded nervous.

“Um, okay. Can you ask her what she wants?”

“She wanted to talk to you and take you to lunch,” Margot was cheery now.

“Okay, you can have her come in. It’s unlocked.” I hung up and Courtney peeked her head into the door.

“Hi, I’m sorry to just show up, but I was hoping I could take you to lunch,” She smiled.

“Well, it’s fine…sure lunch sounds good,” I said reluctantly. It was hard for me to say “no,” to Courtney with her staying right there.

“Perfect,” She smiled.

I gathered my purse and then grabbed my jacket and we made our way out. We just went to the cafeteria in another building, nothing fancy. We sat down and I was a little uncomfortable.

“Lucas told me you were mad at him. I just wanted to apologize for keeping him from work and forcing you to come back from your vacation early. It’s not his fault,” She had these puppy dog eyes, that looked sincere, but also looked like she had used them a lot to get her way.

“I was just mad that I had literally just landed and had to come back here. I hadn’t seen my husband or friends in four months,” I sighed.

“Your husband? I should have noticed your ring,” Courtney said as she folded her napkin in her lap. I thought she knew about him? She acted like she knew about the incident before between Gabe and Lucas. Maybe Lucas never said it was my husband?

“He’s a musician and is on tour right now. It was our anniversary weekend too, so it was that much harder,” I confessed.

“How long have you been together?” She asked eating some of her salad.

“We’ve been married for three years, but together for about ten,” I smiled thinking about Gabe.

“Wow, do you mind if I ask how old you are?”

“How old do you think I am,” I laughed.

“You look about twenty-seven or twenty-eight.”

“You’re too kind,” I laughed. “I’ll be thirty-two in January.”

“You look really young. I just wasn’t sure if maybe your husband was your high school sweetheart.”

“Thank you,” I wanted to know how old she was now. She seemed a little naïve or maybe just played that role. “How old are you?”

“I just turned thirty like four months ago. I was the last of my friends, so all of their nervous breakdowns prepared me for the big three-oh!”

“I loved my thirtieth birthday. I had so much fun,” I told her and I thought about the big party at Angels and Kings.

“Oh will you excuse me?” Courtney asked as she picked up her ringing cell phone. I nodded and she went toward the door.

“Hey! Mary,” I called to our HR woman as she entered the cafeteria.

“Hey Sadler how are you?” She smiled.

“I’m good. Can I ask you a favor?”

“Sure.”

“I have to go to the bathroom and my lunch date went to use her phone. Would you mind just watching our stuff for two seconds? I would also love for you to join us for lunch,” I smiled getting up. I had to go to the bathroom so bad.

“Of course! Go ahead. Do you mind if Jenn joins us too?”

“Of course not! I’ll be right back,” She sat down in the seat next to mine and I headed to the bathroom.

I walked in and ran into the stall, but I heard Courtney on her cell phone in the handicap stall. I sat down and listened for a bit.

“So, the complication is she’s married,” Courtney whispered and I was putting it all together. “She’s a woman he works with, mom,” She sounded defensive. “No, she’s great. I don’t know if she knows that I know. I think she knows I have an idea. I’ve hinted that I know because I like her and I want to be friends, but you know,” She rambled. “Lucas didn’t want me to mention anything about them dating,” I almost stood up in mid pee. I knew that’s what it was.

I finished up and went to wash my hands. I waited for Courtney to finish her call and when she came out she turned white.

“Hey,” She smiled nervously.

“I heard your conversation,” I leaned a hip against the counter of the sink and looked at her.

“Don’t tell Lucas that I know. He told me there was a complication and that you guys weren’t saying anything,” Courtney came closer and looked panicked.

“Lucas told you we were dating?” I asked with a laugh.

“Well, he said you guys really liked each other, but it was complicated. I know you guys wanted to keep things low-key, so know that I won’t tell anyone.”

“We’re not dating, Courtney,” I laughed.

“Don’t worry, Sadie. I won’t tell anyone,” She said and touched my arm.

“No, it’s not because I’m married and I don’t want people to know,” I said a bit sternly. “We are really not dating. I have a strong dislike for Lucas actually,” I needed her to understand.

“What? I’m confused,” She stepped back a bit.

“Lucas likes me, this is true, but I’m married. I love my husband,” I told her.

“Is it because you’re cheating on him? You don’t want to tell me? I get it.”

“No,” I raised my voice a bit. “I’m not dating Lucas. I’ve never wanted to date Lucas. He likes me and is making up a relationship with me,” I was furious.

“Okay,” She says quietly.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to yell at you,” I put myself in check and calmed myself. It really wasn’t her fault. She believed her brother. “Lucas has been making advances toward me, but I’ve been pushing him off. I’m happily married and he tried to kiss me and my husband and Lucas got into a scuffle. He did it on purpose because he knew he was watching.”

“No, I’m sorry. My brother has been through a lot and I just wanted him to be happy again. I thought he was, but honestly all the secretiveness did make me a little uneasy,” She looked as if she had the rugged pulled out from under her.

“I don’t know what Lucas has been through and I’m sure you want the best for him because he’s your brother, but you have to know that he’s been lying to you. We are not involved,” I felt bad for her and that she believed her brother.

“I’m so embarrassed now,” She got flushed.

“Don’t worry. He’s your brother and I understand why you believed him,” I told her.

“I just want Lucas to change his life around. After the whole other incident I was hoping he was going to make some good decisions,” She leaned against the counter; she looked as if she were going to pass out.

“Are you okay?” I put a hand on her back.

“I’m fine. I’m sorry about my brother,” She had tears in her eyes. “I feel like I’ve gotten myself into a bind now.”

“Let me know once you talk to him so I don’t open my mouth too soon,” I said. I wanted to give her some time, she seemed genuinely distraught.

She just nodded and we went back out into the cafeteria where Mary and Jenn were just sitting. I guess we had been in there a while.

“I’m sorry, Courtney was sick,” I apologized as I approached them.

They bought it and we cleaned up our table and headed out. Courtney ended up leaving and I went back to my office and closed the door. I had to call Gabe.

“Hey girl,” He laughed as he answered the phone.

“What it do baby boo?” I smiled.

“What’s up? How’s your day so far?”

“I have some pretty interesting news,” I lowered my voice a bit.

“Do tell. Do tell,” Gabe chuckled.

“Well, I raged against the man today,” I said matter-of-factly. “I walked into Lucas’ office and gave him a piece of my mind after I saw Courtney in Starbucks and everything.”

“That’s my girl. You should have stayed here. He was out of line for calling you back without reason,” Gabe said sincerely.

“It was my department, I couldn’t just let it go unrepresented or I’d end up with no funding, but that’s not the real point of this story.”

“So, what’s the point,” He still sounded annoyed.

“Lucas apparently told his sister that we were dating,” I was nervous for Gabe’s reaction to this. I pulled the phone away from my ear waiting for the yelling.

“You’ve gotta be kidding me?” Gabe said heatedly.

“I guess he told Courtney about me confronting him this morning and she came to ask me to lunch,” I brought the receiver back to my ear. “I couldn’t say no to her face, so we went and basically she said that she knew about us dating and was going to still keep it a secret, but I told her that her brother was lying to her--”

“Wait, so he told her and made his sister keep it a secret? This guy is totally fucked,” Gabe raged.

“Yes and she was so stunned,” I told him.

“I think she was in on it. I’ve had a terrible feeling about her since the first time you told me about her. I don’t like this at all,” I could hear him walking around, faster and harder in frustration.

“I’ll handle it,” I told him calmly.

“That’s complete bullshit. I don’t trust that guy around you and now I don’t trust him more than ever,” He was so upset.

“Gabe, love, relax. It’s going to be fine. I have a feeling there is something else happening and it could be used against him,” I confided.

“I don’t care. I don’t trust it. I’m coming home!”

“Gabe,” I laughed at his protectiveness. “I have Rob and Ian and Meg and if I wanted I could call up Bob if I needed something. I’m fine. Stay on tour,” I instructed.

“How can I stay on tour when you’re working with that guy every day?” He asked exasperated.

“I’ve worked with him for about a year now. I’ve survived. I just thought it was funny how crazy he was,” I laughed.

“Sadie, it’s not funny. I’m going to be a worried mess,” He calmed a bit.

“Don’t worry. I’m a tough bitch,” I teased.

“You are a tough bitch, but you’re my tough bitch and I am protective,” He said all mushy.

“Aaww, that’s sweet,” I laughed. “I will keep you posted, but I really think there’s more that I can use to get him out of here,”

“Just be careful. I don’t need an ulcer.”

“I promise I will be fine and there will be no ulcer.”

“I’m gonna call Rob and make sure he comes and gets you at work today,” Gabe sighed.

“Fine,” I laughed. “How’s everything going?” I asked to change the subject.

“Everything is great aside from missing you,” He said sweetly.

“I miss you too, so much. I can’t wait to spend my birthday with you in Europe,” I twisted the phone cord around my finger as I talked to him.

“I swear to God I you leave for whatever from Europe I will kill you.”

“I won’t do that. I promise.”

“I don’t want to keep you from work, but I love you and I’m going to call Rob,” Gabe laughed at the end.

“I can’t wait for a personal escort. You’re lucky he’s married,” I quipped.

“Shouldn’t it be that you’re married?”

“No,” I laughed. “I love you. Have a great show and tell everyone I love them.”

“I will. Love you too. Talk to you soon.”

Around five Rob walked into my office and just sat down. He crossed his legs and just smiled.

“I’m assuming he filled you in and you didn’t come here just because he asked,” I smiled.

“Oh, he filled me in, but I’d do it no questions asked anyway,” Rob made a face as if he couldn’t believe the story, but really who could?

“Tell me about it. Why don’t we go pick up Meg on our way home and get some dinner?”

“Sounds like a plan. Being closed on Monday’s is key.”

“I’m pretty much done, want to head out?” I asked as I started to shut down my computer.

“I’m your hired bodyguard we do whatever you want,” He winked as he stood up.

I gathered my stuff and I hooked arms with Rob and we walked out. I was going to get to the story on the student. I had Courtney in my corner and I was sure I could used her to get the information I needed. I hated being so underhanded, but things had gotten way out of hand and if HR wasn’t doing anything to remove Lucas, I was going to do what I could.
♠ ♠ ♠
You guys are awesome! Thank you so much! I appreciate everyone that's reading, commenting and subscribing!

Let me know what you think! I think the story may be wrapping up in like a few chapters. Gotta write it all out, but I have it outlined. :)