‹ Prequel: You Should Know
Status: Complete

Everybody Cares, Everybody Understands

I Shall Overcome

“I’m going to call her cell phone, you talk to Brian and see if he saw her leave,” I told Gabe as we made it to the lobby.

I called Courtney’s cell phone and it just rang till I got her voicemail. I was worried about her. She was a real mess and I was hoping that she didn’t overhear the conversation between Gabe and me that might just set her over the edge.

“Hey Court, just wanted to see where you went. Gabe and I wanted to take you to dinner,” I made that up, but I wanted to sound upbeat. “Just give me a call. I want to make sure you’re okay,” I walked over to Gabe who was talking to our doorman. “She didn’t answer.”

“Brian said she got in a cab. She could be anywhere. Why don’t was just go back upstairs and wait for her to call,” He said putting his arm around my shoulders and turning us back around to go upstairs.

“But, what if she heard us? Lucas was so mean to her and kicked her out. She was so upset Gabe, she could be anywhere and I’ll feel terrible if she got hurt,” I said turning back around to go look for her, but Gabe kept a firm grip of my shoulders and pulled me along.

“If anyone should be worried it should be Lucas. He’s the one that kicked her out knowing she had nowhere to go,” He pushed the up button on the elevator.

“You’re right, I know, but you know how I am. I just feel terrible,” I sighed.

“She’s not your responsibility. She’s an adult, she has a job and she can check into a hotel if she wants,” He pushed me gently into the elevator.

“She was looking for a friend…she has no one,” I said solemnly and stood on the opposite side of the elevator.

“Sadie, be honest with yourself about this. You were never her friend,” Gabe insisted as he leaned against the opposite wall looking at me.

“You forgot to push the button for our floor,” I said. We had been sitting in a closed elevator going nowhere. Gabe pressed our floor.

“You can’t try and be friends with her now after you weaseled all of that information out of her. That’s not how you redeem yourself.”

“I know, I know…I just feel so shitty about the whole thing. I should never have used her like that, that’s not me at all,” I stalked down the hall as soon as the doors opened.

“You were trying to protect yourself. I understand and I would have done the same thing, you just gotta let it go,” He said as he walked behind me down the hall.

I threw myself onto the couch and Gabe jumped on top or me shortly after.

“And this is why I am home. Sadler Monroe James Saporta, look at me,” He laughed and I looked at him. “This is not your problem. It’s between Lucas and Courtney, okay?” I just nodded. “We gotta get dressed soon, we’re going to Angels and Kings to see Rob and Travis is back in town,” He said and started to kiss my neck.

“Did you come home to see me or your friends,” I teased.

“You, of course. I’m gonna get you completely wasted and then take advantage of you,” Gabe said and bit my ear playfully.

“We’ve gotten past you having to get me drunk I think,” I wrapped my legs around Gabe’s body and pulled him closer to me. “I’m so glad you’re here in my arms right now,” I sighed.

“Me too. Words can’t begin to describe how much I missed you,” He kissed my lips and I deepened it. I still couldn’t believe Gabe was with me, actually physically in my arms, but it felt so good.

“Easy tiger,” Gabe laughed. “I want to take you out while I’m here,” He struggled to stop himself too.

“Can’t we just stay in until you leave?” I put on my best pout.

“If you want to,” He smiled.

“No, we can go out with your friends. When do you leave?”

“Tomorrow, really late. The bus is going to pick me up at the airport in Texas.”

“Boo!” I said and Gabe just chuckled a bit. “Tomorrow can we stay in all day?”

“Tomorrow I didn’t plan on getting dressed. I was just going to stay in bed with you until I caught the red eye.”

“Sounds like a plan. Can I call Meg to come tonight?”

“Of course you can, but let’s just lay here for about an hour and then we can get ready,” He smirked.

“I don’t really want to just lay here,” I said kissing him.

+++

“I need to call Meg,” I said and tried to push Gabe off of me.

“Why are you pushing me away?” He laughed.

“Because, you were the one that made plans to meet Trav and Rob and now we’re going to be late,” I smiled.

“Well, we’ll be late because of a good reason,” Gabe started to get up and pulled me with him.

“Two very good reasons,” I smirked and went to grab my cell and call Meg. Gabe walked by and into the bathroom to shower. “Hey, want to come out with Gabe and me tonight?” I asked when Meg answered.

“Obviously,” She laughed. “Rob already told me that Gabe was back, but I assume you were preoccupied to call me until now.”

“Definitely preoccupied,” I smiled to myself. “I also had a visit from Lucas’ sister. Gabe and I sort of fought about it. I think she overheard and now she’s MIA”

“Well, she’s probably home. Don’t worry about her,” Meg said frankly.

“She has nowhere to go. She got kicked out and was totally upset, that’s why I’m worried,” I said in a bit of a whisper. Even though Gabe was way down the hall and in the shower, I didn’t want him to hear me talk about this again.

“Sade, she’s an adult. She’ll figure it out. It’s not like she’s a 14-year-old runaway. Go get dressed and come out,” She said sternly. I sometimes felt like I was the only one with a conscience.

“Okay, okay. I’m going to go get ready. See you soon,” I said and hung up the phone.

I went back into my bedroom and went through my closet for something to wear. I was tempted to get in the shower with Gabe, but that’d just make us very late. I threw and outfit on the bed and put on a t-shirt while I waited for Gabe to get out.

“It’s all yours, sugar,” He said as he busted out of the bathroom.

“I’ll be quick,” I moved swiftly across the room and into the bathroom.

I jumped in the shower and really was quick for time’s sake. I blow-dried my hair and put on makeup and then went back into the bedroom to get dressed. Gabe was just slipping on a pair of black jeans and had a shirt lain out on the bed.

I got dressed quickly and Gabe dilly dallied for a bit, but we seemed to be all set at the same time. We made our way to Angels and Kings and it was pretty packed. We walked in and found Trav, Rob and Meg sitting in a corner talking to each other.

“Hey guys,” Gabe shouted with a huge smile.

“Hey, guy,” Travis smiled and got up and gave him a hug.

“Dude, good to see you,” Gabe said letting him go.

“Lady Sadie,” Travis hopped foot to foot before scooping me up.

“Hey, it’s been too long!” I laughed as he rocked me from side to side in his arms. He finally let me go after a minute.

“It has! Come sit down,” Trav dragged back to the couches and had me sit in his place and he sat on the table in front of me.

I gave Rob and Meg a hug and kiss and then sat back down. Gabe sat next to me and kept one hand on my knee. Rob grabbed us some drinks and brought them over and we just started talking and catching up. It felt so good to have Gabe and some of our best friends with me. I felt complete when I was with Gabe and when he was away I felt like a part of me was missing; a part of my heart. I just smiled at him and gave him a wink and he squeezed my knee and pulled it in closer to him.

“I’m gonna go to the bathroom,” Meg said and stepped around the couch Gabe and I were on.

“Me too,” Gabe kissed the side of my head and went to the bathroom too.

“That wasn’t obvious or anything,” I teased.

“Meg and I will use separate bathrooms. You’ll have to take it up with her husband if she has a penis or not,” Gabe said seriously and walked off to the bathroom.

“Trav how long are you in town for?” I asked and he took Meg’s seat across from me.

“A few months actually and then we’ll start a new record,” He smiled.

“Let’s go out soon then. I’m excited you’re back for a bit--” I got jerked by the arm as I finished my sentence.

“Where’s my sister?” Lucas asked angrily and I was lifted half way off the couch and he twisted me around to face him. His grip was tight and I was actually a little scared.

“Get your fucking hands off of her,” Travis was at my side in a flash and he pushed Lucas and tried to pry his hand off of my arm. Lucas released his grasp on me and Travis pushed me behind him and Rob now stood on the other side of Travis.

“Where’s my sister?” Lucas asked again looking right at me. I had moved behind and in between Rob and Trav so I could see Lucas.

“Listen man, calm down. I’m gonna need you to leave the bar,” Rob said as calmly as possibly.

“I need Sadler to tell me where my sister is,” Lucas said angrily through his clenched jaw.

“I don’t know where she is,” I said and my voice sounded like a scared toddler.

“Yes, you do!” He said calmly.

“We don’t know where she is. What are you even doing here?” Gabe said angrily as he rushed past me and right into Lucas’ face.

“Sadler mentioned a long time ago that she came here. I was looking for her because she didn’t answer at the apartment or answer her cell phone,” Lucas had calmed a bit, but Travis still kept a hard stance between us.

“Don’t show up here ever again. Don’t fucking look at, touch or so much as breathe on my wife the wrong way or I’ll hurt you,” Gabe growled, but Rob put a hand on his chest and pushed him back. Gabe eased up and came over to me.

“She came over to my place,” I told Lucas as he hung his head. “She was really upset about what happened. I went into my bedroom for two seconds and when I came back she was gone,” I omitted the part where Gabe and I fought about Courtney; I didn’t think it was necessary to mention when Lucas was as mad as he was.

“I said some terrible things. She’s got nowhere to go…” Lucas trailed sounding really hurt.

I looked to Gabe not knowing what to do. He just shook his head at me and threw his hands up before walking away. As he walked away Meghan took his place and put her arm around my shoulders.

“Don’t get sucked in. It doesn’t mean you’re a bad person, but this does not involve you,” She said sternly as she looked me in the eyes.

“What do you want me to do, Sadie?” Travis asked as he looked back at me.

“Do you know of any of her favorite places?” I asked finally.

“She rarely left the house when she wasn’t working,” He sighed as he looked up at me.

“Can you start calling hotels?” I offered.

“I just don’t want her to end up dead. It’ll be my fault,” Lucas kept putting his hands in his jean pockets and then taking them out repeatedly; he was scared and anxious.

“I don’t want you to get pissed, but maybe that’s why you should really think about the implications and the ramifications of your words before you speak,” Meg smiled wide and laughed a bit.

“It’s a little late for that lecture now isn’t it?” Lucas scoffed.

“Well, keep it in mind for next time,” I shot back.

“Are you going to help me or what?” Lucas sounded agitated.

“Are you asking me to help?” I didn’t know what to say if he asked me too. Gabe sat at the bar across from all of us and just stared.

“I’m asking you to help me, yes.”

“I’ll help you, but I’m not going with you,” I told him.

“You and your asshole husband can do your own thing, but keep me posted.”

“He’s not an asshole!” I yelled and pointed at him. “And of course we’ll keep you updated.”

“You’ve got my number,” Lucas said sounding a bit sad. “I’m sorry…I’m very sorry,” He said genuinely as he looked to Gabe, Travis, Rob and then me.

“It’s fine. We’ll call you if we hear from her,” I sighed.

Lucas just nodded and bounded out of the bar. Travis turned around and lightly put his hands on my shoulders.

“You okay? What was that all about?” He asked sounding very concerned.

“I’m fine. That was my boss…”I trailed.

“Oh that’s your boss?” Travis knew the story and how Gabe punched Lucas. I just nodded.

“Come here,” Gabe said sweetly and pulled me into him. He held me lightly and kissed the top of my head.

“I’m sorry,” I muttered.

“It’s fine. Why don’t we all just go back to our place? That way if Courtney comes back we’re there,” I leaned back to look up at him.

“I bet you’re super excited you came home,” I laughed and put my forehead against his chest.

“Well, tomorrow is all about us. No fucking Lucas or Courtney,” He said seriously.

“You guys ready to go?” Meg asked handing me my coat. I pulled away from Gabe and Rob, Travis and Meg were all ready to go back to our place.

We all left Angels and Kings and headed back to our apartment. Gabe and I went into our bedroom. I needed to change and collect myself. I was still a little rattled by everything that happened. Gabe just sat on the bed to be with me and make sure I was okay. I pulled off my shirt and threw it on the bed.

“Your arm,” Gabe gasped and shot up off the bed and to my side.

“What?” I asked and looked down. It was already bruised and a little burned from the friction of my shirt against my skin.

“I’m gonna kill him,” Gabe screamed. “Who the fuck does he think he is,” He raged and walked out of the bedroom.

“Don’t do anything,” I pleaded as I walked after him. This was the last thing we needed. With him on a high-profile tour this was definitely the last thing anyone needed.

“Your arm, babe,” Meg said rushing toward me.

“It’s fine. Trav, Rob please make sure he doesn’t leave. This is the last thing he needs right now,” I pleaded. Gabe had gone to the other side of the apartment, probably onto the balcony.

Meghan walked with me back into my room and I looked at my arm in the mirror. It wasn’t that bad. There was a definite hand print around my arm and I bruised easily, so it looked worse than it was. I grabbed a t-shirt out of the dresser and threw it on and then put on a pair of yoga pants. Meg just sat on the bed and watched me carefully.

“Don’t say anything. I just don’t know anymore, okay?” I finally sighed.

“I wasn’t going to say anything. I just want to make sure you’re okay,” She wanted to say so much more, but she was biting her tongue.

“Tell me,” I said as I turned and leaned back against the dresser to look at her.

“You should report this. Get a restraining order and then he gets fired.”

“You’re right,” She was. I was just so rattled and caught up thinking about other things that a restraining order never crossed my mind. “That’ll make Gabe feel a lot better too,” I walked over and curled up next to her on the bed and she just pulled me into her.

“We’ll go on Monday. Do you have a camera? Let me take pictures of your arm for you,” She said as she rubbed my back.

I went and grabbed my camera from my dresser and Meg took pictures of my arm with a date and time stamp on them. I covered myself back up and we went back into the living room. Rob, Travis and Gabe each had a new drink and were all leaning against the bar as we came out.

“I’m going to get a restraining order against Lucas. I have proof now,” I announced. I figured why just tell Gabe when they would all find out anyway.

“Seriously?” Gabe had calmed down a lot, but there was still tension and anger in his voice.

“Seriously. Meghan just took pictures of my arm and I’ll go Monday,” I realized I was frozen in my spot in the hallway still. I don’t know why I stopped, but maybe I was afraid I’d set Gabe off again and that’s not what I wanted, especially when his trip was so short.

“That makes me feel relieved. You need to do that,” I went and looped my arms around one of Gabe’s that he against the counter and he leaned in and kissed my head.

“Where are our drinks?” I asked looking at how everyone, but Meg and I had a drink.

“I’ll get you both one,” Travis smiled goofily.

“Thank you my boy McCoy,” I winked at him.

“I didn’t even have to tell you to say it!” He laughed as he made the drinks.

“I love you,” Gabe whispered to me.

“I love you too,” I whispered back and just held his arm tighter and closer to me.

I didn’t want him to leave me tomorrow. I just wanted this crazy part of my life to be over. I wanted to feel safe again and not like such a drama magnet. I was partially at fault, I did invite it in when I tried to be sneaky and get info from Courtney, but I was hoping that was my ticket to ending it all. But, maybe now that it’s gotten way out of control it’s time for drastic measures and maybe I had a couple more tricks up my sleeve. Travis handed me my drink and I clinked my glass to Gabe’s and took a long sip. Things would be okay again and I’d protect myself, my friends and my family.
♠ ♠ ♠
You guys are seriously the best! Thanks for everything! I'm trying to update now b/c I know I'll be busy helping my mom work an event alllll weekend, but hopefully maybe Sunday I can get an update in. *Crossing fingers*

Comments? Thoughts? Anything is appreciated!

Thanks again! :)