‹ Prequel: You Should Know
Status: Complete

Everybody Cares, Everybody Understands

With a Little Help From My Friends

“I just don’t want to see him,” I told Meghan as we walked into my office building.

“I’ll take care of it, okay?” She held my arm close to her as we walked up the stairs to the second floor.

Meghan took the day off to take me to get this restraining order business settled. I went and picked up all the forms and now I was going to see Mary in HR to tell her my plans and see what was going to happen. Would they finally take me seriously and fire Lucas? Or at least investigate him? I was hoping for either. I didn’t want to lose my job, I loved it and it’s what I’ve worked so hard for. I loved my students, the school and everyone else I worked with and the programs were mine. I had been able to build them and implement them and I know it would never have been like this anywhere else. I didn’t want my career to be in jeopardy over this either, but I would still pursue it. I could start over, I could, but I didn’t want to. I wanted Lucas to be the one who would have to start over and hopefully learn from all of this. Last time he got off to easy, this time he needed to be treated like and adult and held responsible for his actions.

“Of course her door is closed,” I muttered to Meghan as we walked into her office. She just gave me a smell smile to tell me it’d be okay. “Hey, is Mary in?” I asked their secretary.

“She’s just finishing up a conference call and then she should be available. Take a seat and then I’ll e-mail her and tell her you’re here,” She said politely.

“Thanks a lot,” I was so nervous I thought I was going to throw up on her desk. Meg lead me to sit in the chairs against the outside wall of Mary’s office. We faced the hallway and could see everyone walking by, which made me or anxious.

“Stop bouncing your leg,” Meg whispered and held my hand down.

“Sorry, I’m just so nervous,” I stuttered. “I just don’t want to see him at all or him see me.”

“You are doing what you have to do and this will end everything, okay?” She put her arm that was on my knee around my shoulders and squeezed me gently.

We waited another fifteen minutes and then Mary appeared in the doorway of her office. She smiled at me and looked a bit confused at Meghan’s presence. Meghan got up and followed her into the office and I was still frozen in my seat.

“This is right, no come,” She sighed and pulled me up out of my seat and pushed me into Mary’s office.

“What can I do for you Sadler?” Mary asked as I closed the door behind me.

“I’m…I’m filing a restraining order against Lucas today and I needed to see you and see what this meant,” I said nervously as I sat down in a chair next to Meg in front of Mary’s desk.

“Well, why are you filing a restraining order? What happened?” She asked seriously.

“I was out with my husband and friends and he came into the bar where we were and grabbed me,” I told her.

“Assaulted her,” Meghan jumped in and I gave her a look.

“Did you report it to the police?” Mary asked.

“No, but I took pictures so that I could file for this restraining order and with all my previous complaints I think I have a good case.”

“Pictures?” Mary questioned.

“He came into the club and pulled on her arm and lifted her off the chair she was on. She still is all bruised up,” Meghan said angrily.

“Meg, I got it,” I said giving her a look to tell her to keep her mouth shut.

“Okay, so you have pictures, you want your filed complaints, what else?”

“Well, what is going to happen now? Will I have to quit or leave?” I leaned forward and folded my arms on her desk.

“Are you planning on suing because I didn’t do anything sooner?” Mary asked calmly as she leaned back in her chair.

“No. I know that you had nothing on him and he was being very professional for most of the time. I don’t blame you, but now that I have this it’s…it’s just I can’t work with him anymore and I don’t want to leave either,” I sighed trying not to get emotional.

“I want you to know we did everything that we could. I had meetings with Lucas and we monitored him closely, but we have to handle things this way since we had several incidences of people crying wolf. We try and be totally fair and look into everything. I just want you to know we did everything we could.”

“Mary, I’m not mad. Things were fine for a while until now. I just want to feel safe again and not uncomfortable when I come to work,” I leaned back in my chair.

“Well, you need a notary to sign and stamp your restraining order…I can do that,” She reached into her draw and pulled out a stamp and I handed her my papers. “And Lucas will be suspended with pay most likely until we figure everything out and it also depends upon what the courts say and if they approve your restraining order,” She signed and stamped as she talked.

“I’m okay to come to work?” I asked weakly.

“Yes, you are. We need to be involved with everything that happens though. Please keep us in the loop so we know how to proceed as well,” She handed me back the forms.

“Of course,” I wanted to jump over the desk and hug her tight. “Thank you I appreciate it. I will tell you everything!”

“Good luck, Sadler,” She said sympathetically.

“Thanks, Mary…for everything,” I smiled at her. I just hoped everything else went well.

Meghan followed me out of Mary’s office and quickly stepped in front of me and checked out in the hall. She grabbed my hand and we hurried toward the stairs. I felt like a burglar fleeing the scene of a crime and I was about to jump into the getaway car the way Meg was checking everywhere for Lucas and walking in front of me. I had to chuckle about it.

“Okay, coast is clear,” She winked as she checked the first floor from the second floor landing. We made it out of the building safely.

“Meg, can you slow down? You’re a little more in shape than I am and I am beginning to feel like I committed a crime,” I ran to catch up to her.

“I’m sorry. I just want to make sure I see Lucas before you do,” She turned and stopped for me to catch up.

“I appreciate it, but I’m sure he’s in his office so we won’t have to worry,” I assured her.

“Or he’s not. Let’s go,” Meg said and clearly Lucas was behind me. I just started to walk and Meg pushed me forward.

“Sadler!” I heard him yell and like a scared child I just started to run. I got to the car and locked myself inside and waited for Meg to get in the car. She was walking fast backwards and it looked like she was yelling at Lucas.

“Sadler, any news on Courtney?” He asked as he pounded on the car window and Meg was trying to keep him away. He was mad, but not crazy. He was worried about his sister.

“Meghan, relax,” I yelled and pushed the door open. “Lucas step back now!” I yelled and they both stood still looking at me. Lucas started to slowly back up. “Courtney is fine. She’s an adult. When she wants to talk to you she’ll talk to you. Stop involving me,” I screamed. I was losing it. “Leave me alone please…please just leave me alone,” I sighed and got back into the car. Meg came around and got inside and we took off with Lucas still standing like a statue in front of us.

“Wow, I bet that was totally therapeutic for you!” Meg said excitedly.

“I can’t believe I just did that…I let him get to me,” I cried a bit. It was all just setting in. I had been so strong and really tried to not let him get to me. But, being so nervous and stressed about Courtney and the restraining order I couldn’t hold it in anymore. I was at my breaking point.

“We can’t all be made of stone. You really should have done that sooner,” She sounded a bit condescending.

“I was very stern with him and professional. I’m too old to be freaking out like that,” I said with attitude.

“Listen, I’m supporting you. I want you to be safe and comfortable again. Sometimes standing up for yourself involves screaming and that’s okay,” She reached over and grabbed my hand and squeezed it.

“Thanks…I’m sorry. I just…I wish I could have been stronger. I wish I could have been stronger for Gabe,” I sighed and hung my head.

“Listen, Gabe doesn’t know about this. He thinks you are the strongest girl ever. Plus, you have me and Rob and Emily and I are not that that far away. You’re protected, okay?” I just nodded. “Gabe’s right anyway, you are like the baddest bitch I know,” She laughed.

“So badass that I’m crying,” I laughed wiping my eyes.

“Even Wonder Woman cried now and again, I’m sure,” She said a bit sarcastically and glanced at me.

“I’m sure she did. That corset was something else and I’m sure those shorts rode up a lot too,” I chuckled.

“Ugh, talk about painful camel toe, right?”

“I can’t even imagine!” I started to laugh a bit uncontrollably. I was manic from being so overwhelmed.

Meghan pulled into the garage on the side of the courthouse and we got out and walked through the lot without saying a word. We got into the elevator and we still didn’t say a word for a few floors.

“Did Wonder Woman wear heels? I can’t remember, because if she did I would have cried from all that action in heels,” I finally said while still facing forward.

“That bitch was crazy, so she probably did wear heels,” Meg laughed.

“Bitch was totally crazy,” I laughed and hugged her tightly as the doors opened.

“Speaking of crazy bitches are you ready to file this paperwork?”

“As ready as I’ll ever be,” I took a deep breath and we walked into the clerk’s office. I took a number and just sat and waited to be called over to one of the clerk’s.

After about an hour of waiting our number was up and a clerk was ready for us. Meghan and I sat down with her at her desk and I handed her the papers and pictures.

“Okay, so you are filing a civil order of protection, do you understand what this means?” She asked as she looked over my paperwork.

“Yes, it means I’m not charging him with a crime, but I’ll be protected until a hearing,” I could feel my heart beating out of my chest. What if she denied me?

“Yes, that’s correct. I see that you’ve filled out all the paperwork and had it notarized. You have backing evidence. I’m going to type up another form that I will also submit to the judge,” She said and turned to her screen to start writing. I felt Meghan put her hand on my arm and she swept her thumb over my forearm.

We waited for her to process this other form and she attached it to a copy of all the other forms. She handed me all the forms and I just looked them over.

“I advise that you look over these forms right now and make sure they are correct. Anything that is not correct please let me know and I can change it,” She said as I continued to read the form. It was basically everything that I had submitted onto the legal document.

“This looks absolutely correct, thank you. What do I do now?”

“I am going to take this to the judge and see if they approve an order of protection. He will also issue a court date for the hearing. I’ll be back shortly,” She pushed away from her desk and walked into the courtroom.

“What if he says no?” I asked Meghan nervously.

“New York likes to protect their women. You’ll be fine,” She assured me.

About a half hour later our clerk came back in a breeze. She sat at her desk and sorted the papers in her hand before setting them down and looking at me and Meg.

“The judge approved your petition. You have a court date in two months, January 15th at 9am. Here is your temporary order of protection I advise that you make a bunch of copies of this protective order as soon as possible. Keep a copy of it with you at all times and be sure to leave a copy at work, your home, in your car, with friends etcetera. If you have a security guy at the front of your building or anything it’s a good idea to leave a copy with them as well,” She talked pretty fast as if this was her 100th case today and while she seemed sympathetic, she also seemed to want to get to the next person in the long line. I just nodded as she spouted off all this information. “We give a copy to the local law enforcement, but you may want to also deliver it to them as well to make sure they have it. We also strongly encourage you to change your locks and your phone number. Here is a packet of information on everything I just said and phone numbers you can call for counseling. You’ll be notified soon of your court date.”

“Excellent, thank you!” I almost shouted in relief.

“You’re welcome. Do you think you’ll be safe when you exit the building?” She asked filing my paperwork in her bin on her desk.

“Oh yes, thank you. Now, they will serve him with an order of protection? I made my HR department aware that I was filing this order as well.”

“We will have an officer serve him for you if you’d like.”

“That would be greatly appreciated,” That was a relief that I would not have to serve him.

“We’ll arrange for that. Any other questions here is my card you can give me a call,” She slipped me her card and Meg and I were on our way.

“Want to go pick up some new locks and change my number with me?” I laughed as we got to her car.

“I love picking out new locks and changing cell phone numbers. You should call Gabe and tell him the good news!” Meg unlocked the car and we both got in. I called Gabe.

“Hey babe,” He said groggily.

“Did I wake you up?”

“Nah, I was waiting for you to call. Just lounging in my bunk. Are you okay?” He asked sweetly.

“I’m okay. I got a temporary protective order today. I have to change the locks and my number, but there’s bad news too,” I said nervously.

“That’s great. I’m glad you’re all set and protected, but what’s this bad news?”

“The court date is during my trip to Europe, so I may have to push forward my arrival and then I can stay longer or leave when I was supposed to,” I said sadly. When the clerk told me the court date that’s all I could think about; just another wrench in our Europe plans.

“I don’t mind waiting for you. I’d rather you be safe than anything else. How are you feeling?”

“I’m feeling better now, but when I was on campus meeting with HR I ran into Lucas and I freaked out on him,” I admitted. “I lost it, Gabe…I just was so overwhelmed,” I sighed frustrated with myself yet again.

“Why are you being so hard on yourself for freaking out? He deserves more than a freak-out. Lucas deserves an ass whoopin’ for sure,” He said seriously.

“Ass whoopin’? Did you really just say ass whoopin?” I laughed and Meg laughed too and just shook her head.

“Well, I was going to say he should be murdered, but that sounded a little brutal,” Gabe teased.

“Well, murder would have sounded better than ass whoopin’. I miss you so much and I know it’s only been hours,” I leaned my head against the window in the car as we drove to find a hardware store.

“I miss you too. I’m glad that you are protected though, it makes me feel so much better you have no idea.”

“Me too. I’ll let you sleep more and I’ll text you my new number later and when you’re home I’ll give you your new set of keys!”

“Sounds perfect. I love you,” He said goofily.

“I love you too.”

Meghan and I found a hardware store where I picked up new locks for my door. I had called ahead to get my maintenance guy to come and help me install them. I then went to the cell phone store to change my number, which was really hard, not hard to do, but hard because I had the same number for about ten years. I showed them my paperwork and they were able to switch my number with no extra fees or hassle, which was nice.

I then spent the rest of the afternoon calling people to give them my new number and then e-mailing it out to others with explicit instructions not to give it out without my permission. Meghan didn’t want me to spend the night alone so she was going to stay the night with me, which was unnecessary, but nice. I told her to bring Rob too since Angels and Kings was closed on Monday’s.

“The food is here!” I heard Meghan say as she knocked on my door.

“Starving!” I opened the door and Meg and Rob had food bags and overnight bags.

“Hey, how you doing?” Rob asked giving me a quick kiss before going off to the guest room to drop the bags.

“I’m fine. Just feeling like Jennifer Lopez in that movie where she moves her daughter, that’s all,” I said sarcastically as I helped Meg with the food.

“That was movie was so hot, even when she had the pixie cut. You gonna cut all your hair off?” Rob asked as he tugged on my ponytail and grabbed dishes out of the cabinet for us.

“I was thinking of just shaving it all off and changing my name to Jennifer Lopez actually…or maybe just J. Lo. Make myself a Latina for Gabe,” I dished out food for Meg and Rob.

“Jennifer Lopez Saporta? J. Lo Saporta,” Rob said aloud as he grabbed a plate. “What about Jennifer Selena Lopez Saporta? I like the ring to that.”

“Why don’t I just add every Hispanic or Latina name into one and add Saporta on the end. I’m down for the longest name ever,” I laughed and joined them at the dining room table.

“Don’t change your name to Jennifer Lopez. What about Eva Mendes Saporta?” Meghan offered as she dug into her dinner.

“I like. I wonder if it’ll make me as sexy as her.”

“Sexier, fantasy. Definitely sexier,” Rob growled and clawed like a tiger.

“Thanks boo,” I smiled and started eating too.

“We’ll be fine, you know that right?” Rob asked sincerely.

“Yes, I know…Just going through so many emotions right now, you know?”

“I know and we’re here for you and Gabe’s here for you too, even if he’s not technically here.”

“I know Rob, thank you. I appreciate it.”

I was so lucky to have such amazing friends that were there for me, especially with Gabe being gone. I also had my parents and Gabe’s parent’s, which was a huge relief as well. I had to talk Diego and my father out of coming down and killing Lucas as well. I let them know I was okay and I had a great support system and a temporary protective order. I needed all of my family and friends because honestly I was becoming a mess. I was slowly unraveling inside, but I knew I’d be fine because I had the best support system ever and for that I was grateful and fortunate.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry, it took me so long! I've been working and also helping my mom with some stuff she's been doing! I hope you like this update. I appreciate you guys so much!

I hope you like the update! Leave me some comments and let me know what you think! :)