‹ Prequel: You Should Know
Status: Complete

Everybody Cares, Everybody Understands

Free

I woke up on Thursday, we were two days away from my baby shower and things were actually going fairly well. I was stressed out a lot with Meghan, my mother and Emily all in my ear and being so secretive. My mother was treating me like I was the most fragile person in the world, which was nice and frustrating at the same time. I just wanted to do everything on my own, I knew my limit and I wasn’t above asking for help. Gabe tried to reason with her, but he gave into her antics most of the time too because he didn’t want me to do anything strenuous either. Our apartment had been taken over by our friends and family; it was a revolving door with my mother and father, Gabe’s father and step-mother and brothers, Meghan, Emily and the whole Cobra crew. The one person that hadn’t actually been around was Rob. I really hated that we couldn’t all get along and be together, but I understood.

I rolled over and Gabe was sound asleep next to me. My mother had been working him ragged too. They let him and my father in on the party and they were all over the city running errands for them. He didn’t get home till after midnight last night. Whatever it was they were planning was already too much.

I just watched him sleep he looked so peaceful. I smiled as he sighed in his sleep. I rolled myself out of bed and got ready for the day. I had a doctor’s appointment this morning and had to get up and going. Now that I was in my final month I had a doctor’s appointment every week. I was going to try my best to let Gabe sleep and go on my own. The appointments were just to check my blood pressure and weight and all that stuff. I didn’t need him at every one of them. He needed some time to rest too.

I showered and quickly got dressed and was out the door. Gabe hadn’t moved and I was glad. I went into the garage and took our car out to my appointment. I got there at 7:45am with enough time before my appointment at 8am. I liked being out on my own alone for once this week. I sat and read a magazine and waited to be seen.

“Sadler Saporta?” The nurse poked her head into the waiting room.

“Hey, Jody!” I smiled as I walked over to her. “How are you?”

“I’m good, thanks. How are you doing?” She lead me back to the examination room.

“I’m okay. Just uncomfortable at most times and then I have my family and Gabe’s family and every single one of our friends pretty much in an out of our apartment!” I laughed in frustration.

“Well, tell them you need as little stress as possible and to listen to you,” Jody teased and instructed me to get on the table.

“I try, but at this point it’s just easier to let them baby me than fight with them,” I laughed.

“Is that why you’re alone today?” Jody asked as she put the blood pressure cuff on my arm.

“Yes, that and my mother is running Gabe ragged too. She’s got him doing errands for my shower that is on Saturday. I wanted him to get some sleep too. We’re both gonna need it.”

“That was thoughtful and tactful of you,” She laughed and wrote down my stats. “Blood pressure is good. I’m just going to listen to your heart and then to the baby's with my stethoscope, okay?”

“Of course, it’ll make me feel better,” I smiled.

“Breathe in deep,” She instructed and I did so. “Good. Again.” She then moved the stethoscope to my stomach.

“Does she sound good? I want her to come out soon, but I don’t at the same time. I can’t even imagine what it’s going to be like and I’m so afraid I’m going to be a mess of a mom,” I admitted. I tried to keep my cool and tell myself this was normal and I was going to be fine, but I let my nerves get the best of me at times.

“Sadler, you are going to be great and she sounds very healthy. Let’s give you a weigh,”

“Oh good, love the weighing in,” I laughed and hopped off the table and on to the scale.

“You’re great, you’ve gained only 30 pounds, which is very average. You look great and you’re very healthy,” She smiled at me.

“Thank you, you’ve eased my nerves yet again!”

“That’s my job! We’ll see you next week!”

I walked out of the office feeling a little more relieved that I was doing okay and it was still nice to just get out of the apartment alone. I turned my phone back on as I walked out of the hospital and it immediately started vibrating. I had three voicemails and four text messages – all from Gabe. I didn’t even check the messages I just called him.

“Where are you?” He asked as soon as he picked up.

“I’m leaving my doctor’s appointment. I’m on my way home,” I sighed loudly, he was mad at me.

“I was so worried. I woke up and you were gone and the car was gone…Just at least tell me when you leave.” Gabe was panicked.

“Of course, I’m sorry. I just didn’t want to wake you. You looked so peaceful and I know my mother is crazy and running you all over…I just wanted you to have a break too. Plus, in all honesty, if another person tells me not to do something I’m going to snap!” I rambled as I walked to the car in the garage.

“I know, but just let me know. I don’t want to have to worry that you were kidnapped or something like that,” Gabe relaxed a bit.

“I will make sure to tell you next time I take off, but you should know we’re very healthy!” I smiled as paid at the garage and made my way out.

“Well that’s good. Come home and enjoy the final days of your vacation with me. I told your mom and all of them you needed some space.”

“How did I get so lucky?” I teased. “I can’t believe this week is almost over. I really don’t want to go to work on Monday!” I groaned. I liked having some time off, but I was determined to work up until the day I gave birth.

Work was crazy for me right now. I was in the process of hiring our summer staff for the orientation programs. That was certainly draining. I only had three of my ten student that wanted to or could return to be an orientation guide. So, I had to find seven students that I thought would do a good job. I had to finish it up before I left and I had my assistant taking over for a few months. I would go back to work after three months, so it’d be just before we had to train our staff and then go right into orientation for new students. It was going to be hard, but I didn’t want to give it up. I could do both.

We had a daycare on our campus as well, so I was very lucky. I could bring her to work and not be as worried. Plus Gabe would be home for about a month after she was born before they went back on tour for four months. It was strange because they didn’t have a new album, but Fall Out Boy wanted them be their opening act. It would be two and a half months in the US and then a month and a half in Europe, Asia and Australia. I was excited for them. Gabe thrived on touring and I loved seeing him so excited. It’d be tough to be sort of a single mom, but I’d have the daycare at work to help me out and I’m sure Emily and my mother would jump at the chance to help me out as well. Gabe and I had talked about it and we were going to be fine. I liked to contribute to our finances, but Gabe was the bread winner, so he had to do what he had to do. He was really torn up about it. He didn’t want her to forget him, but we would iChat and we’d talk on the phone as much as we could. Technology was genius!

“Don’t go back to work!” Gabe laughed, as if it were that simple.

“I like work. I’ll be fine. I think I need it so I don’t go stir crazy!”

“I have breakfast waiting for you, so hurry home!”

“I’m on my way. Gotta stop and do one thing and them I’m home.”

I hung up the phone with Gabe and made my way to my final destination before home. It was eating away at me and I had to just check in to ease my mind. I walked up the steps and buzzed the door.

“Rob, it’s Sadler…you there?” I asked into the intercom. I waited a bit.

“Sadller, it’s only a little after 9…” He finally said. He sounded as if I had just woke him up.

“I’m aware, can you let me in?” He buzzed the door and I let myself in.

“You’re lucky I love you. Anyone else would have been sent away,” Rob said as I climbed the stairs to his apartment. “Also, you couldn’t take the elevator?” He shook his head at me.

“Not you too!” I groaned. “It’s good for me to get some exercise. I’m not gonna die from climbing two flights of stairs. I mean, I’m out of breath,” I huffed as I walked to his door where he was waiting.

“Well you’re carrying twenty extra pounds, that’ll wind anyone,” He smiled and shut the door behind me.

“This is your, well not God-baby, because I’m converting, but you’re her uncle, be nice,” I laughed.

“You’re converting? You want me to be the ‘God-father,’ if there was one?” Rob asked totally shocked as we both stood in his hallway.

“Well, it only seems right,” I said going to sit on his couch. “He celebrates the Jewish holidays and for religious reasons. I celebrate Christmas so I can give gifts.” He sat down on the opposite end of the couch and curled up to look at me.

“I thought you guys said you were going to do both holidays and then let her decide?”

“Well, we were, but it just seemed like why not just give her one and then give her a base. She can choose when it comes time for a bat mitzvah.”

“If that’s what you want to do, that’s great!” He smiled.

“It is. I want to do it for Gabe and for our daughter,” I unconsciously patted my belly at mentioning her.

“And you want me to be her super cool uncle?” Rob beamed. He was so excited for this baby.

“Duh!” I laughed.

“I’m in. I got her the coolest shit for the shower.”

“Speaking of, how’s that going?” I tried to be as smooth as possible with the question and then ease my way into him telling me what happened with Meghan. I wanted to know his side too, even if it really wasn’t any of my business.

“You’re gonna freak when you see what they have planned. The space is gonna look awesome. The theme is killer,” Rob was awake now.

“Thank you again for letting us into the space. I appreciate it so much and I know my family does too. How’s working with all of them? I hope they aren’t running you as ragged as they are me and Gabe,” I laughed.

“Your mother is great! She’s the sweetest person I’ve ever met and it’s not a problem. We’re not open that early, so there was nothing going on in there.” I think he was avoiding discussing Meghan.

“What about Emily and Meghan? Are you okay with her being around?”

“She’s not really around. I actually haven’t seen her since she got into town. I think it’s strategic. It’ll be fine,” He sounded nervous.

“I had no doubt you’d both be adults about it. Is that why you haven’t been around?”

“She’s staying at your place, Sadler, obviously that is why,” He laughed and rolled his eyes.

“Eventually, you guys will have to talk about whatever it is that happened. Why are you both so secretive?”

“What happened between us has already been addressed. We’re not together and we can be adults,” He said curtly.

“I’ll get it out of you soon enough,” I smirked. “And please, don’t be a stranger. It’s inevitable that you guys will run into each other. Why not a dry run before the shower?”

“Sadler, if there was anything to tell we would have told you. It just didn’t work out. How about I swing by with dessert tonight and we can get this awkwardness over?”

I tapped my index finger against my lips before answering. “Fine, but can you bring chocolate peanut butter cup ice cream? And some French fries? It’s like my new craving,” I smiled satisfied with myself. I just wanted to have it out before the shower. I hated this division between friends. Almost like Gabe and I were the kids in the middle of a divorce.

“Fine, I’ll bring that and some other goodies. I’ll stop by around 7pm because I have to be at work at 9.”

“That’s perfect! Rob, I appreciate you making the effort. Thank you for being the bigger person! That’s why you’re the cool uncle,” I smiled and got up and hugged him.

“Of course. I know it’s been weird and I hate it too. I wish we could all just be friends again, but sometimes that’s not possible and that happens when you date friends or friends of friends,” He shrugged still holding onto me.

“I know, but I will never let either of you stop being friends with me and Gabe. We’ll make it work. We love you,” I kissed his cheek and stood up from his grasp.

“I love you too and my little niece. What do I call you?” He looked up waiting for a reply.

“Levi Olivia Saporta,” I smiled down at him.

“She’s beautiful already.”

“She is and she’s hungry! Gabe has breakfast waiting for me, but don’t stiff us tonight, okay?”

“I won’t. I’ve got the ice cream and fries!”

Rob walked me out and forced me onto the elevator. He didn’t want me falling down the stairs. I gave him a kiss and got back into the car and back to the apartment. I wasn’t trying to meddle, but I just wanted it to be less awkward for everyone involved. I refused to believe that Rob just let her go because he didn’t want her any more. That wasn’t him and he put up a front, but he wasn’t good at hiding how depressed he was after the breakup. For months he wasn’t himself, though he tried to pretend. There was more to it and I guess I was bored and cared about my friend and wanted to get to the bottom of it all.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you so much for reading, commenting and subscribing! It means so much to me! Thank you again!

Leave me some comments and let me know what you think. The meat is coming soon, so be patient :)