‹ Prequel: You Should Know
Status: Complete

Everybody Cares, Everybody Understands

You Be The Anchor That Keeps My Feet On The Groun

“Are you ready?” Gabe asked his voice booming down the hallway to the bedroom where I was just putting on a t-shirt.

“Yes, coming,” I sighed.

Gabe was taking me to the doctor before he left. He was concerned because I was still sick a week later. We got in late last night and Gabe left a message for the doctor, who called this morning to set up the appointment. I assured Gabe I was okay and I didn’t want him to stress with only a two day break, but he wanted to make sure I was fine before he left.

We drove to the doctor’s office and I held Gabe’s hand in mine and just stared out the window. After my big cry to Victoria I was actually okay. I think I needed to just sob for a bit and let it out of my system. I just couldn’t let it get me down. We would have a baby when the time was right and I had stopped taking my pill as of this morning. It would happen when it was meant to.

We walked into the building that held my doctor’s office and then into his waiting room. I checked in and then sat next to Gabe. He picked up two magazines and handed me one and took the other one. I winked at him to thank him for it and started to read.

“Sadler Saporta?” The nurse called about a half hour later. I set the magazine down on the table and left Gabe to wait.

“Hi Sadie, how are you?” Jamie, the nurse asked. She had been at the practice forever and she was so kind after everything happened with the baby. She sent us flowers and food and has been a great support.

“I’m okay, fighting some sort of sickness for the past week or so,” I told her and she brought me into an examination room.

“What have you been experiencing?” She asked as she pointed for me to sit and shut the door behind her.

“I’ve been nauseous and always exhausted. I think it’s just stress and touring too. I was on tour with Gabe for the last month,” I told her as I hopped up on the table.

“Have you been getting sick?” She asked as she stood in front of me and felt my glands in my neck.

“Yeah, I throw up like a few times during the day, but it hasn’t been every day this past week. If I am not getting sick I just feel nauseous all day. I took a pregnancy test – even though I’m on the pill,” I reminded her. “It was negative.”

“Well, we’ll do blood work and see if we can see anything there and we’ll let you know. You don’t have swollen glands or anything. Are you achy at all?” She asked putting on her stethoscope and putting it to my chest.

“I’m sore after I throw up and my boobs are a little tender, but nothing abnormal. I should be getting my period soon. I just finished out a pack and I’m not going to go back on it. We’re gonna try and get pregnant when he gets back from touring Europe,” I chatted and she took my blood pressure.

“I was going to say, it was interesting to see you in here. You avoid the doctor’s at all cost downplaying everything,” Jamie laughed.

“I know, but Gabe’s leaving tomorrow and he wanted to make sure it wasn’t something serious before he left. It’s more to ease his mind,” I laughed. I never thought anything was that big of a deal when I had symptoms like this or had a cold.

“Well, we’ll send you over to the lab, get some blood drawn and we should have results back to you tomorrow morning,” She smiled and I hopped down off the table.

“How’ve you been? Anything new?” I asked as I followed her down the hall toward the lab.

“Oh same ole, same ole. Works been rough, but Bob got a new job and it’s been so much easier with getting Rebecca to daycare. His new job is so much more flexible,” She said. Bob was her husband and Rebecca was her three year old daughter.

“Oh that’s great. Tell him I said hello and give Becca a kiss for me. I’m so glad things are working out for you,” I really was happy for her. Bob was always being reprimanded by his boss for being late from dropping off Rebecca or leaving early to pick her up.

“Me too! Have a seat and someone will be in shortly. Are you home for a bit? Maybe we can grab a coffee?” She asked.

“I’m home for a bit, yes. Let’s definitely get some coffee. I’ll call you,” It would be nice to catch up with Jamie and reconnect and it was nice to have another friend.

“Sounds good. Good luck and feel better!” Jamie said before leaving me alone in the room.

“Sadler?” Another nurse came in and asked.

“That’s me.”

“Alright, we’re just gonna draw some blood, send it to the lab and get you out of here,” He said politely and started tying off my arm.

The nurse took three vials of my blood and patched me up before sending me out and back to Gabe. He was on his sidekick typing away.

“I’m all set,” I said and he looked up at me and put away his phone.

“You okay?” He asked standing up and we started out of the office.

“They took some blood and I should have the results back tomorrow. She’s gonna call me when they’re in.”

“So, probably nothing serious if they just sent you out, right?”

“No. I don’t have swollen glands or anything. She agreed it may just be stress and touring. We’ll see tomorrow,” I said taking his hand in mine.

“Meg wanted to know if you wanted to grab lunch with her and Rob today before I left.”

“Sure, where are we meeting them?”

“Down the street at some little place. They’re waiting already.”

“Nice, I’m starving,” I leaned against Gabe as we waited in the elevator.

We left the building and walked down the street to a small café where Meg and Rob were waiting for us. We got lunch and just hung out for a long time there. We had coffee and dessert and before we knew it we’d been there for about four hours. Eventually, we parted ways and Gabe and I strolled around the city, just enjoying each other’s company.

“I’m going to miss you not sleeping next to me in the bunk,” Gabe said breaking the silence between us.

“Trust me, you won’t. You never slept in your bunk before and I know why. It’s so cramped in there,” I reminded him. I ended up hanging out half the time and praying I didn’t fall right out and onto the floor.

“Okay, so I won’t miss sleeping cramped in the bunk, but it was like we were a normal couple that saw each other regularly, you know?” He pulled my hand behind his back so I could wrap it around his waist and he moved his arm to pull my shoulders into his body as we walked.

“It made me realize why people get divorced. So much time together,” I teased.

“I knew it! I love you more than you love me!” He pushed me away from him and I just laughed.

“It happens,” I shrugged and continued to walk away from him.

“Get back here,” He said as he caught up to me and took my hand.

“See you do love me more,” I winked.

“It’s okay. I’m happy to love you as much as I do,” Gabe said sincerely.

“I’m pretty sure I love you more, but it’s totally cool,” I said nonchalantly. “Though, this mushy shit, honestly,” I laughed.

“I just had a good time with you, gah!”

“I’m so jealous you’re going to Europe without me and Asia,” I wrapped both of my arms around Gabe’s and held his hand with both of mine.

“I’ll get you a magnet from each place we visit and maybe even a shot glass,” He kissed the top of my head.

“You’re so good to me!”

“I promise to write!” He taunted.

We walked around Union park for another hour and then grabbed some food before heading home for the night. It was an amazing day. I was exhausted, but I wanted to stay up and enjoy the time we had together. Not that we hadn’t just spent a whole month together on tour, but we were finally alone; nobody else, but us. It was so nice.

We settled into bed and I laid on his chest and we watched a movie. Gave played with the ends of my hair and held me close. I couldn’t keep my eyes closed any longer and I fell asleep in his arms.

+++

“Do you have everything? Your passport?” I asked Gabe as we were frantically running around trying to get him packed and out to the airport for his flight.

“Got it!” Gabe held it up for me to see and then stuffed it back into his carry-on bag.

“Did you get your toothbrush?” I was afraid he was going to forget something.

“Sade, I’m going to London, I’m not going to a third world country. If I am missing anything I can buy it there, okay?”

“I know,” I sighed. “I’m sorry this morning was so crazy,” I said putting my hands over my face and rubbing. I was sick again and just not feeling well at all today. Of all days to feel like shit, it had to be today.

“Are you feeling any better?” He asked stepping toward me and he felt my forehead. “You don’t have a fever. Did they call you back yet?”

“No, they haven’t. I’ll call once I drop you off if I don’t hear anything. I’ll call you if it’s anything serious,” I exhaled.

“You better. Do you want to just stay here? I can get a cab to the airport,” He asked sweetly.

“No, no, no. I want to go with you and see you all off.”

“Well, only if you’re up to it.”

“Don’t give me that,” I rolled my eyes. “I’m fine. I bet it’s just a stomach virus.”

We grabbed Gabe’s bags and headed to the airport. I was going to miss him, but I was more excited than anything for the next chapter. We were going to try and have a baby and expand our family. We were ready for this. I couldn’t wait. I was realistic though that it could take time because of everything that had happened before and that I’d have to be monitored closely as soon as I thought I was pregnant, but I was prepared.

“Bye Nate! Have fun,” I said gathering all I could to be upbeat and not exhausted and rundown as I hugged Nate.

“Thanks Sadie,” He said as he rocked me back and forth before breaking his hold on me. I just laughed.

“Okay, I love you. Have fun,” I said as I hugged Gabe and gave him a kiss.

“Love you too. Make sure you call me and tell me what the doctor says. Even leave a message and I’ll get it when I land. I have my international phone on me.”

“I will. Go now before I start hugging everyone again,” I laughed pushing Gabe away and he gave me another kiss before he and the rest of the band went through security. I waved again to them before turning around and heading out to the car.

As I made my way out to the car my phones started to ring, but it wasn’t Jamie or the doctor’s office, but Emily.

“Hey Em,” I answered.

“How are you doing? Did you just drop Gabe off?” She sounded concerned.

“Yeah, I’m just walking to the car. I’m okay. I know I’ll miss him a lot, but it hasn’t totally set in just yet. I mean we just spent a month straight together, you know?”

“I know. I just wanted to make sure you were okay and see if you wanted to come for dinner tomorrow?”

“Sure, that sounds great!” Emily was always trying to keep me distracted when Gabe was away. Even when we first started dating Emily was always asking me to go shopping or to a movie or something with her to keep me from thinking about how Gabe was on the road and away. I loved her for that.

“Excellent! What are you doing to do the rest of the night?” She asked and I there was a beeping of another call coming in. It was my doctor’s office, but I’d just listen to the message.

“I’m gonna grab some food and see if I can keep it down, search for jobs and probably just lay around the house,” I admitted as I got to the car.

“Sounds just as fun as changing diapers and doing laundry. Babies go through clothes like they’re disposable,” She mused.

“We’re old and lead not so exciting lives,” I laughed to her. “How’s my boy?”

“He’s growing by the second. I can’t believe he’s going to be one. Time has flown by…”She reminisced. “Are you coming next weekend for his birthday?”

“Of course I am! I bought him the cutest thing on the road. I won’t tell you what it is, but it’s adorable! I can’t believe it’s been a year either! And then the week after that I turn another year older,” I said excitedly.

“Age has never fazed you. I envy you and not worrying about it.”

“Why worry about the shit we can’t control? I can’t help that I get older, so I don’t stress about it. Also, not stressing keeps me looking young,” I said sarcastically as I drove home.

“You do look young and only a few crow’s feet around the eyes,” Emily teased.

“So true. Okay, I’m gonna let you go. I have to check the message from my doctor’s office just in case I need to get a prescription or something, but I love you and I’ll talk to you soon.”

“Okay, if you need anything let me know. If you’re contagious we’ll move dinner till you’re better.”

“Amazing. Talk to you soon!” I hung up with Emily and dialed my voicemail.

“Hi Sadler, its Jamie. Give me a call when you get this, it’s very important.” She sounded serious. I called her immediately.

“Doctor Griggs office how can I help you?” The receptionist answered. Thank God for doctors in New York always being around late. My practice was open until 9 most nights.

“This is Sadler Saporta, Jamie called me earlier, is she available?” I asked politely.

“Hold one moment,” The operator put me on hold and I waited for Jamie.

“Hi Sadie,” She said flatly.

“Jamie, am I dying? You sound so serious,” I tried to lighten the mood.

“No, sorry didn’t mean to sound so stiff. I’m sure it’s from all the having to be professional all day,” She let out a small chuckle.

“So, what’s wrong with me?” I asked lightly.

“Where are you?”

“I’m driving home. Is it that bad?” I asked trying not to freak out. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing’s wrong…well, except that you’re pregnant,” I could hear the huge smile on her face as she said it.

“What?!” I stammered.

“You’re pregnant. Don’t take any antibiotics, please.”

“I can’t be though. It’s not possible,” I muttered in disbelief. I was so shocked.

“Well, you are. Why don’t you set up an appointment with doctor Zink. I’m off tomorrow if you want me to come with you,” She offered sweetly.

“I’m just…Will my baby be okay? I wasn’t treating my body like I was having a baby while on tour and I was still on the pill until today,” I panicked a bit.

“You’re fine. It’s very common for women not to know and the pill has not been proven to have any adverse effects on the baby. Get an appointment though and let me know if you need me there or how it goes, okay?”

“Okay, thank you,” I said a bit speechless.

I called Doctor Zink on his cell phone immediately. I needed to get an appointment for as soon as possible. I needed to know that this was going to be okay and something I could hold on hope for.

“Sadler, hi,” He answered cheerily.

“Hi Dave, how are you?” I asked trying to be polite and not gun to the point.

“I’m alright. I haven’t heard from you in a bit, so this must be good,” He chuckled.

“I’m pregnant,” I gushed letting it all sink in. “I just was on tour and I was on the pill and everything that happened last time, I need to see you. I need to know that this is going to be okay,” I rambled breathlessly. I felt like I was drowning and trying to gasp for air. I felt like a terrible person. If this baby doesn’t make it, it’s really my fault this time.

“Calm down, please. We’ll fit you in. Just come in first thing and I’ll see what I can do. We’ll check you out. But, you should still be happy. Congratulations,” He said sincerely.

“I’m sorry, it’s just so much. Thank you…I’ll see you in the morning.” I said and hung up. I called Gabe, he would still be in the waiting area, thankfully.

“What’d the doctor say?” He answered.

“Jamie said there is nothing wrong with me, except…” I trailed. I was so mixed with emotions, but I couldn’t’ hold out on Gabe like last time. I had to be upfront. I was actually excited for his reaction.

“Except what?” He asked sounding a tad panicked.

“Except that I’m pregnant,” I said slyly.

“You’re pregnant?” He exclaimed. “I’m having a baby!” I heard him announce away from the phone. His reaction made everything better.

“I’m going to see Doctor Zink tomorrow,” I smiled as I rounded the corner to our building.

“Oh my God, Sadie. We did it,” He sounded choked up now.

“We did…I guess I’m pretty fertile even on the pill,” I laughed.

“Oh babe, I’m so happy. I’m so excited and yet so bummed that I’m gone for two months now.”

“Don’t worry about it. I’ll have Em and Meg here by my side and I’ll send you updates and whatever I can get to you to keep you involved,” I parked the car and headed up to the lobby of our building.

“You better! I can’t even express…I’m just so happy!” He stuttered, utterly happy.

“Melt faces and come back to me in one piece,” I smiled as I walked through the lobby to the elevator.

“I’ll come back to both of you in one piece, I promise.”

“I love you.”

“I love you too,” Gabe sounded so ecstatic that it made me forget about everything I was worried about.

Everything was going to be okay; I just had to keep telling myself that. It was finally our time.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm on a roll! Thanks everyone for all your feedback/reading/subscribing I really appreciate it!

Let me know what you think! The next update may be a bit because I'm working every day! ugh! But, I will find time to write :)