‹ Prequel: You Should Know
Status: Complete

Everybody Cares, Everybody Understands

Cardiac Arrest

“Thank you for taking me to my appointment today,” I said as I hugged Rob. He got out of the car and ran to open my door.

“Not a problem! Do you need anything? When will Gabe be home? Do you need me to stay a bit?” Rob asked as he helped me out of my seat.

“I’m good aside from that I’m winded just from that lift,” I laughed. “He’ll be home in a few hours. I’m gonna make some lunch and just chill out. Take the doctors’ orders. I’ve made it this far. If I can hold on for at least a few more weeks I’m golden!”

“Perfect. I’m like so happy and relieved it’s all going well,” He said and hugged me again.

“You and me both,” I sighed and squeezed him.

“Go try and get some rest,” Rob said and gave me a kiss.

“I’ll try. Thank you again. Love you,” I said and started to make my way inside my building.

“Love you too, fantasy,” He called after me and I just smiled. It had been awhile since he had called me that.

Gabe had some work to finish and some interview to do this morning. He had tried to reschedule so he could come to my appointment, but I told him to go. He needed to work and get out of the house – he was a ball of antsy/nervous energy because he wasn’t in the studio or doing something and I needed him to be happy and to not have me nervous.

I made my way upstairs and crawled up on the couch. I knew the babies and everything were okay and they were finally less restless and I wanted to get a nap in. I had been a complete insomniac lately because of all of their moving around. They were super active and while it made me feel great they were active and alive, it was fringing on my sleeping. I wanted at least some sleep before the many, many months and years of sleep deprivation I would have from them.

I woke up to my phone ringing and ringing. I had been out for an hour and missed 10 calls from Rob. I immediately felt sick. I was just hoping he was butt dialing me. I didn’t even check the few messages he actually left and just called him. I started doing breathing exercises to keep myself calm.

“Rob, I’m so sorry, I passed out. I just called you. What’s wrong?” I said groggily.

“Meg…” He trailed and I was already crying. “She’s…she’s not good”

“Where are you? I’m coming now.”

“Sloane Kettering,” He cried.

“I love you and I’ll see you soon,” I cried too. I remembered to breathe and I could feel the babies, so it settled me a bit. I called Gabe.

“Gabe, sorry…” I said as he answered. I looked and he was probably halfway through his interview.

“Never be sorry – I already told them I’d answer my phone if you called,” He said sweetly. “What’s going on baby girl?”

“I don’t know. I’m fine first of all. I fell asleep and woke up to a flurry of calls from Rob and he said Meg’s not good and they’re at Sloane Kettering…”I cried.

“I’ll come get you,” He immediately said and it sounded like he was walking out of the interview.

“Finish up and just meet me there. I’ll get a cab there.”

"I'm coming to get you right now. Stay on the line." Gabe said. I could hear him telling the interviewer the situation and he seemed very understanding.

"Sadler, he's gonna drive us over..." Gabe sounded shocked and grateful that the interviewer was so understanding and helpful.

“Please, tell him thank you now and I will thank him a million times later. I’ll see you soon,” I said and just went and sat in the living room, practicing my breathing. I had to call Emily.

“Em…Meg’s in the hospital. Rob said it’s not good. Sloan Kettering,” I stuttered as someone answered the phone.

“Sadie, it’s Ian…I’ll get Em and we’ll come down right away. Stay calm, she’s a fighter whatever is going on,” Ian said so calmly it helped and also made me made that he was so calm about it.

“Thanks Ian. See you guys soon,” I finally said.

Gabe came a half hour later. He apologized for how long it took, but there was traffic. I thanked the interviewer like a million times in the ride over, Derek, was great. I kept telling him that she was like, she was, my sister; he was very sweet.

“Before we rush in,” Gabe said as he held my shoulders square with him. Derek was driving away. “I need you to be as calm as possible. We do not know what is going on just yet nor do we know how serious, but either way I need you to breathe and try and not stress, which I understand is hard under the circumstances…” Gabe said calmly and assertively.

“I know. I’ve been breathing…working through it. I want to make it to at least 7 months,” I was teary-eyed again.

“Only another week and we’re there. I just can’t deal…” Gabe trailed and there were tears in his eyes too. He was worried about losing the babies more so than I was. I was actually very optimistic. And while, Gabe rarely let me see this side of him, it was nice to see and also sad to see and to think about. I had to push it out of my thoughts.

“We’re gonna get there. We will,” I took both of his hands in mine and placed them on my large stomach. “I love you,” I said and kissed him.

“Love you too. Let’s get inside…” Gabe said and we went inside the hospital.

We asked at the front desk where we could find Meg and Rob. They directed us to the ICU waiting room and I was panicking. Gabe grabbed my hand tightly; he was scared too and we walked toward a set of elevators to get to ICU.

Rob was just pacing in the hall, shaking and crying as we stepped off the elevator. We approached him slowly and he just fell into Gabe’s arms and sobbed. I rubbed his back as Gabe held him.

“We’re here,” Gabe said to Rob.

“We love you.” I said choking up a bit.

Gabe steadied Rob and we found a corner in the waiting room to sit. We just waited for him to be able to tell us what had happened.

“I dropped you off and came home and…and she was on the floor,” He cried. I held his hand in mine.

“She wasn’t breathing. I called 911 and started CPR…If I hadn’t…If I didn’t walk in the door when I did…she’d be dead,” He pulled away from me and put his head in his hands. “She had a heart attack…a blood clot broke up in her leg and shot to her heart and lungs…”

I looked at Gabe and I lost it. I was a mess. I had to get up and go to the bathroom. I needed to steady my breathing. I just couldn’t get myself under control. I splashed some cold water on my face and used a paper towel to dry it and went back out to be supportive.

“I’m sorry….” I said lowly as I sat back down.

“No, I’m sorry,” Rob said as he hugged me tightly. I was overwhelmed again. Damn hormones. “I just didn’t know who else to call…That were close by…”

“Rob, obviously call us. I don’t know what you’re apologizing for. I called Ian and Emily too,” I hugged him tighter.

“Her parent’s are on their way and so are mine…I just didn’t want to be alone.”

“Of course, bro. We are at your beck and call,” Gabe said and slapped him on his back. “I’m gonna get us some water. Do we want anything else? Sadler?” Gabe was trying to be upbeat, god I love him.

“Well, since you asked,” I smiled at him through tears. “Some swedish fish if they have some and maybe some peanut butter cups?”

“Wow, that’s the shortest order of things you’ve asked for in awhile,” Gabe teased.

“I’d like more, but just don’t think they have fried rice at the hospital gift shop,” I said making a face at him.

“You’re probably right. Rob?”

“I’m good.”

“You know there will be nothing left from the swedish fish and peanut butter cups, if you were counting on that. We’re having twins, so bitch can eat,” Gabe said playfully.

“Gabriel,” I scolded sarcastically. Rob smiled a bit.

“Get triple then, bro,” Rob finally said. “Thanks for this.”

“Got it,” Gabe said and left to find the hospital store.

“Ooh, Rob…” I said and grabbed his hand and pressed it to my stomach. “Somersaults like they’re gymnasts.”

“That was definitely a butt,” He smiled at me as I pressed his hand harder.

“Bony butts for sure - they get that from their lanky-ass father.”

“That’s for sure. No ass on that one,” He said sassily.

“They also never sleep right now like their father,” I smiled at him.

“Typical. You know it’s not too late to put them up for adoption. Do you want to really raise a Gabe Saporta for this century?”

“When you put it that way…” I laughed.

“Yeah, I mean, better than realizing it after they’re born.”

“Though, I can drop them off at the police station no questions asked, right?”

“Who are we dropping at the police station?” Ian asked holding Levi. “Sorry, we couldn’t get a sitter,” He said feeling bad.

“No, don’t worry,” Rob said and stood to take Levi from Ian. “And we were going to drop Gabe’s spawn off at the police station in case they are just like him,” Rob gave Levi a raspberry on his belly and Levi started laughing hysterically; He’s exactly what we needed.

“Listen, I didn’t want to say anything, but I agree with Rob,” Ian started. “If they are anything like Gabe at all drop them off at the police station ASAP,” He smiled and Gave me a hug.

“Excuse me!” Gabe laughed as he came upon us.

“Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t see you there!” Ian said sarcastically and took a bag out of Gabe’s hands and put it on the table before giving him a bro hug.

“Car is parked!” Emily said as she strolled into the waiting room. “Where’s my child?” She asked.

“I have him!” Rob said holding him up.

“Ooh, after comments you made about Sadler’s unborn boy…I am not sure if that’s a good idea,” Emily said seriously and went and gave Rob a hug.

“Can you give uncle Rob a huge hug, Levi?” Emily asked and Levi hugged Rob’s head tight.

“Thanks Levi!” Rob said between Levi’s arms. Emily just laughed before taking Levi back.

“Ian and Emily, let’s go get snacks!” Gabe shouted. He was going to give them the low-down so Rob and my hormonal self did not have to. I grabbed a bag of swedish fish as they left with Gabe.
We sat and talked for about another hour and a half. Meg’s parents and Rob’s parents joined us and we just sat waiting for an update. They had brought her in for surgery and no one was telling us anything.

“Mr. Hitt?” A doctor finally came out and called. Rob stood shakily.

“Yes - what’s the update?” He cried.

“You want to come with me and we can talk?” The doctor offered.

“This is her family…I won’t be able to relay it if it’s just me…so, please,” Rob said and his dad went and steadied him.

“Alright then, let’s go into a private room,” He said. I couldn’t read him. It didn’t sound terrible, but it didn’t seem great either. We followed him to a room down the hall.

“Meghan is stable. The surgery was successful to remove the clots, but she’s in a coma. She may have been out for at least a minute before you started CPR, Rob, which probably saved her life. So, it’s unclear if and when she wakes up, if she’ll be herself. Because of the lack of oxygen, there is the potential for her to be in a constant vegetative state or it could be nothing. We will monitor her brain activity. The body acts in mysterious ways sometimes. We will be keeping her on a blood thinner to hopefully prevent any more clots and we’ll suspend her chemo for now. Chemo can cause clots and we believe this is cause for her.” He finally stopped talking and the room was so silent - even Levi.

“She’ll wake up and be fine,” Meg’s father said almost disputing anything the doctor just said. “She fine,” He said waving his hand at the doctor.

“Yes, she’ll be fine!” Rob said and got up and leaned on the table. “Can I see her? Can we see her?”

“Shortly, she’s resting and being set up in ICU recovery right now. We’ll come grab you. You can stay in here,” He said and left us in the room. I was numb.

About 35 mins later we were able to go in to see her. It didn’t even look like her. I didn’t stay long. I couldn’t. All the tubes she was hooked up to and her not even looking like Meg made me too sad and actually sick. I ran to the bathroom.

“Sadie…you okay, my love?” Gabe asked as he gently knocked on the bathroom door.

“Mmmmhmmm,” Is all I could manage to murmur before I started vomiting again.

“I’m coming in ladies!” Gabe said, but the bathroom was empty aside from me.

“My poor baby,” Gabe said as he rubbed my back.

“Ugh, I’m sorry,” I said and grabbed some toilet paper to wipe my mouth before taking my head out of the toilet. Gabe helped me to my feet. I felt like I had nothing else left in me.

“Lets get you home. I told Rob we’d call later and maybe come by tomorrow, but you need rest. Emily is gonna stay too. I told them they could stay with us and Ian is gonna drop Levi off later, okay?”

“Yes, yes. I can’t be here right now. I’m unable to be the strong person in this situation right now. I’m hormonal and high risk…” I held onto Gabe as we walked out of the bathroom and out of the hospital.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm plugging along :) Thanks to everyone reading! Any and all feedback is appreciated!