‹ Prequel: You Should Know
Status: Complete

Everybody Cares, Everybody Understands

Some Trust

When I woke up in the morning to get ready for work I went into the living room to check to see if Gabe had passed out in there. It was empty. It didn’t look like he had even come home. I checked my phone and not a single missed call. I dialed his number and it went straight to voicemail.

“Hey, you didn’t come home last night and I’m worried. I just want to make sure you’re okay. Please call me. I love you,” I sighed and tossed my phone onto the bed and went to shower.

I just couldn’t hold it in any more. I was in the shower and I just let the water crash on me for a bit as I cried. I just wanted this to work. It was like we had switched places and now he was me a few months ago. I know I deserved it, but I just wanted to move forward. I wanted to have a good marriage, a happy one, with the man I’ve loved for so long. I just felt like the whole thing was slowly crumbling day by day.

I pulled myself together and did what I had to do in the bathroom and went back into the bedroom to get dressed. I hurried to get ready and be on time, my emotions were causing me to run late. I ran out of my apartment and Gabe was waiting for the elevator on the first floor.

“Thanks for letting me know you weren’t coming home,” My voice cracked. I teared up at the sight of him.

“Sorry,” He shrugged. He was still drunk.

“We need to talk later, but I’m going to be late for work,” I walked past him before he could respond. I knew whatever he was going to say would just set me off. I had to cool down.

By the time I got to my office I had talked myself off of the ledge. I needed to be calm to be a rational human being at work and for later. I couldn’t lose my cool, it wasn’t going to help the issue either.

“Good morning Margot,” I smiled as I walked into our office.

“Morning Sadie! You’ve got a visitor,” She said very professionally.

“Who?” I mouthed, very confused.

“Lucas,” She mouthed back. I nodded and headed into my office.

“I hope I didn’t keep you waiting. My train got held up,” I lied.

“Oh no, I just wanted to come and personally drop off my strategic plan and goals for the admissions office of Brooklyn College,” He smiled and he had a bound presentation in his hands.

“Personally delivered? I’m honored,” I said a bit sarcastically, forgetting my company’s status. I blushed in embarrassment. “I mean, thank you,” I smiled hanging up my sweater and putting my bag down on the side of my desk.

“Sarcasm is good. It means you have a personality,” He chuckled a bit.

“I’m glad I didn’t offend you. I’m actually the queen of sarcasm and sometimes I don’t check myself like I should,” I admitted.

“No, it’s fine. This is a college, it’s not high school anymore.”

“That’s true. Now, will I be quizzed on the contents of the plan that you are holding like a gold brick in your hands?” I raised an eyebrow.

“Huge, multi part exam with an essay section. You better be prepared,” He smiled and set the presentation down on my desk.

“I figured I would get it to you early, so we can discuss it at lunch tomorrow,” He smiled.

“I’ll cram tonight!” I said and tapped the top of my desk.

“I’ll let you get back to work. Have a good one,” He waved and walked out of my office.

Ever since Meghan said something about him hitting on me, I couldn’t shake the feeling that he was. But, he was new and I was sure he was just being overly friendly and trying to get everyone to like him. He was a very attractive man and definitely charismatic man and despite everything that was happening in my life right now I was not interested in him.

I worked through lunch and then decided to take a bit of a break. I shut my door to my office and I called Rob. I had forgotten to call him back yesterday and I needed some help.

“I’ve been waiting patiently for you to call me back and it paid off,” He teased when he answered.

“Patience is a virtue,” I sighed.

“What’s happening?”

“I need your help or advice or something,” I put my elbows on my desk and balanced my head in one hand and held my cell to the other.

“Gabe?”

“He didn’t even come home last night. He told me he’d be home around 9, so I went and bought his favorite sushi and had it all ready for him and then nothing. I went to bed and when I woke up for work he hadn’t been home. I saw him when I was leaving actually and he didn’t seem to care.”

“I’m sorry, Sadie,” He sighed angrily.

“I just don’t know what to do. I want to talk to him, but he either doesn’t come home or when I call his phone goes right to voicemail. And we have this fundraiser for the college tonight and at this point I don’t want him to come…I mean he probably won’t be home and he’s probably forgotten, so…” I trailed in frustration.

“He was so excited about working things out too. I don’t know what happened. Do you want me to go and talk to him?” Rob offered.

“I don’t know…yes, I just think he needs someone that actually cares about him. I don’t know who he’s hanging out with. It’s not Alex or Ryland and Nat’s not back from Florida yet…”

“I’ll talk to him He needs to grow up and stop fucking around.”

“I don’t know what to do anymore, you know?” I straightened up and leaned back in my chair.

“I wouldn’t know what to do either, but he’s my best friend and you are too. Someone needs to call him out on this shit,” Rob was pissed off at Gabe too. He hadn’t been talking to him much either. "Can you mention that we still have the fundraiser tonight?” I laughed a bit.

“I will. I’ll call you later.”

“Thank you, Rob. I owe you big time.”

“No you don’t. Let’s do brunch on Sunday?”

“Brunch on me, wherever you want,” I said stressing ever word for him to know that I meant it.

“I’m going to pick the swankiest place now,” He teased.

“Do it. Call me later and thank you.”

“You’re welcome and I’ll talk to you later.”

I hung up with Rob and got back to work. I kept my door closed for the rest of the day and I took off a little early so that I could get home, have a talk with Gabe and then go to a fundraising event. I had to go whether it was with him or not.

“Gabe?” I asked ask I walked into the apartment. It was quiet.

“Hey, Sadie,” Rob said as he came from Gabe’s office.

“Oh, hey…did you?” I asked not knowing where Gabe was.

“Yeah, he’s in the shower. He feels terrible about last night and he wants to go to this fundraiser with you,” Rob smiled.

“Did he say anything about who he’s hanging out with? Why he’s avoiding me?” I asked in a hushed voice.

“He was hanging out with some guys from the bar that he knows, no one that’s like a real friend. He just was doing it because he was mad at himself for fucking it all up and not being good at something,” Rob laughed. Gabe sometimes had perfectionist tendencies.

“Well, we both fucked up. Thank you for talking to him,” I gave Rob a big hug.

“Of course. I’m gonna head out, but if you stand me up for brunch,” He threatened shaking his head.

“It’s brunch, why would I stand you up? It’s my favorite meal of the day!” I hugged him again.

“Okay, well have fun tonight. I’ll call you,” He said and headed out of the apartment.

I walked down to our bedroom and Gabe was just coming out of the bathroom with a towel around his waist.

“Please, let me have it,” He motioned to himself as if he wanted me to hit him.

“Stop avoiding me and making me feel like this is my entire fault,” I said and the tears immediately lodged in my throat.

“I’m sorry, I just didn’t know how to deal with the fact that I was failing at this,” He was sincere.

“So, you think you’re failing at something, so you run away and actually fail at it? I don’t see the logic?” I asked sarcasm lacing my anger.

“I wasn’t thinking. I didn’t want to think about it, I was just hoping that something would happen and it’d all come together,” Gabe came toward me and cupped my face with one of his hands.

“But, it didn’t,” I practically whispered.

“I know, but tonight it’s about you and I’ll be on my best behavior and we’ll work on us. I’m not asking you to forget all of this or forgive me right away, I’m just saying I don’t want you to be late for your fundraiser and I want to be there with you,” He said lightly.

“I want you to be with me,” I smiled at him and he leaned down to kiss me.

I had missed this. I missed his touch, his kiss, just being with Gabe. I didn’t know how much I missed it because I had been so mad at him. I deepened the kiss and just wanted to stay like this.

“You’ll be late for your party,” Gabe laughed against my lips.

“I’m not forgiving you, but we all have needs, right,” I took off his towel and he lifted me up into his arms. I wrapped my legs around his waist and he brought me to the bed.

“God, I missed you,” Gabe said throatily as he laid me down. I just pulled him back down, we both needed this.

+++

“You look beautiful tonight, I don’t know if I told you that,” Gabe smiled at me as we walked into the hall for the fundraiser.

“You look handsome as well,” I held his hand tighter as we walked in. Everything wasn’t better, but hopefully we were back on track.

“Some sweet chick picked out this outfit for me,” He winked.

“Hey Sadler, Gabe!” Margot greeted us excitedly.

“Hi Margot, haven’t seen you in a while, sorry about that,” Gabe said as they gave each other a kiss on the cheek.

“I heard you’re making a hit record with some friends?” She smiled.

“Trying, definitely trying,” Gabe laughed.

“This is such a great turn out!” I scanned the room and there were more people there than I had imagined.

“I think everyone is just really here to meet the new directors. I mean so much upheaval and everything, people are curious,” She scanned the crowd too.

“That’s true, I didn’t even think about it. We’re gonna mingle, catch up later?” I said giving Gabe a nod to come with me and mingle.

“Of course, I’ll see you both later,” She smiled and we walked around the room.

We talked to a bunch of my co-workers and had some drinks. It was the most fun I had had in a long time. Gabe and I were actually being affectionate and communicating. It wasn’t totally behind us and we both knew that, but at the same time it was nice sort of putting it behind us.

Gabe was so good with all my co-workers and he had made friends with a couple of the other boyfriends and husbands and pushed me to go and mingle. I went to grab another drink and surveyed the room.

“Looking for the person you don’t want to talk to tonight?” I heard next to me and I looked to see Lucas.

“I should have looked to my right, damn it,” I said with a straight face.

“Too late now, you’re stuck with me.”

“Lucky me,” I cleared my throat, this was a little awkward. “Good turn out tonight. Have you remembered everyone’s name?” I asked politely still standing watching the crowd before me as he stood to facing me.

“Great turn out. That’s why I need a wing girl. You can reintroduce me to people and I don’t seem rude,” He put his one hand on the back of my elbow.

The touch felt nice, to have someone touch me without the baggage, was nice, but it was also very awkward. I still wasn’t sure if he was just overly friendly with everyone or just with me. I shrugged it off thinking it was just me over thinking things. If Meg hadn’t said anything I wouldn’t be questioning his actions.

“What about your wife? Would she like to be introduced to everyone too?” I asked.

“Not married, so let’s schmooze,” Lucas held his arm out for me, but I just lead the way to a group of faculty members. I didn’t know what to do.

“Jenn, Mark and Joyce,” I said as I approached their group. “Have you met Lucas Wells the new Director of Admissions?”

“I believe we met yesterday,” Jenn shook his hand.

“Yes, in the alumni office, correct?”

“You have a great memory,” She commented with a smile.

We stood with Jenn, Mark and Joyce for a while and he was as friendly with Jenn and Joyce as he was with me. I was a little relieved that it was who he was and not that he was hitting on me. I mean, to think he could be hitting on me after two days was really a riot. That’s impossible.

“Hey,” Gabe smiled as he came over to me.

“Hi,” I smiled and I just wanted to kiss him, which was unusual because I disliked PDA. “I want you to meet the new Director of Admissions,” I said and turned back to Lucas. “Lucas, this is my husband Gabe.”

“Gabe, nice to meet you,” Lucas shook his hand.

“Nice to meet you too. Sadie has been worried about the new Director for some time now, but you seem to be a lot different than Joe,” He smiled at me and put his arm around my shoulders.

“And by different you mean at least thirty years younger, right?” Lucas laughed.

“And a hundred pounds lighter,” Gabe rubbed my shoulder.

“I also operate in the new century. From what I’ve heard he wasn’t all that current.”

“He was actually more current then you both think. I mean, he loved my plan and was the biggest supporter,” I chimed in.

“Anyone would be crazy to not support you,” Lucas smiled. “Support your plan,” He corrected and I could feel Gabe tense up a bit.

“Her plan is pretty amazing,” Gabe said a bit harshly.

“It is a great plan and I can’t wait to review it more with her,” Lucas said matching Gabe’s tone.

“Well, enough about my plan. I think Gabe and I are gonna head out,” I said trying to avoid whatever situation was about to unfold.

“Well, I’ll see you tomorrow Sadie and It was nice meeting you Gabe,” Lucas said politely with a nod.

I pulled Gabe’s arm off of mine and brought it down to hold his hand. We walked out of the hall and out into the fresh air.

“What was that about?” He asked with a laugh.

“I don’t know. He’s just overly friendly to everyone, believe me,” I exhaled loudly, just waiting for the fight.

“I trust you, don’t worry, but I do not trust that guy at all. He’s a creep,” Gabe rubbed the top of my hand with his thumb as we walked.

“Stop, he’s harmless. He’s new and I have you, who I just want to make things right with,” I leaned into Gabe and he kissed the top of my head.

“Just be careful,” He warned, but lovingly, not trying to start a fight.

“I’ll be careful,” I smiled. “No need to worry,” I just hoped that I was right and there was no reason for anyone to worry. I didn’t need anything throwing a wrench in my plans to repair my marriage.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for reading and subscribing and leaving me feedback! I appreciate it!

Comments? What do you think?