Burning Desire

Five To Fifty

My darkened dream land was suddenly lit up by faint streaks of light flooding into the room through the blinds. Something didn’t feel right. Assuming that this feeling was just because I fell asleep in an uncomfortable position, I moved around a little only to run into something else. My eyes fluttered open slightly to see what I had run into…it was Brian.

Wait, I thought he went home last night? Maybe I just don’t remember, I mean after talking about the party that’s apparently happening tonight, I got tired really fast. I shrugged off my uneasiness and escaped from under Brian’s arm to go to the kitchen and grab a nice, cold glass bottle of a mocha frap from Starbuck’s. It was always the best way to wake up in the morning.

I nearly dropped the bottle in shock when I felt someone wrap their arms around my waist. Obviously, I knew who it was but still that doesn’t change the fact that he scared the shit out of me.

“Brian, that was so uncalled for!” I shouted, turning around to face him.

“Aw, c’mon, Scar you know it would’ve been hilarious if it had happened to anyone else.”

Damn him and his ability to know me so well. To avoid giving him the satisfaction of thinking that he read me, I decided to react in a different way. I gasped dramatically while sipping from my coffee, “I am offended. I would never laugh at someone’s misery!”

He rolled his eyes, “Yeah right.”

After arguing over that for another five minutes or so, we decided to go out to Denny’s for some breakfast. Little did he know he’d be the one paying for it…which I guess could be considered my tiny revenge for scaring me earlier.

“So about this party…?” I asked slowly, trying to spark up some new conversation on the walk back home. Don’t get me wrong, I love talking about cars, and sports, and more cars as much as the next person, but a convo change was necessary.

He shrugged, “Nothing special, just us, the guys, and some beer.” That almost sounded to simple.

“Alright, but if anyone else shows up –.”

“There’s nothing you can do if they do show up, babe. I promise nothing bad is going to happen.”

For whatever reason, I forced myself to trust him and found myself closing my eyes as our lips met on my porch. This wasn’t exactly the smartest thing to do, seeing as Val and Michelle do live right across the damn street from me, but somehow whenever I’m with him like this, the world around me just seems to disappear.

I have no worries or concerns…I’m just happy to be with him. “See you tonight,” he smiled as he turned to leave. I nodded in response and leaned up against the brick pillar as I watched him walk away.

I guess I better get ready for tonight…who knows what could happen, I might just not be single anymore.

*Val’s POV*

“It’s just so sketchy, Matt! She just gets up and leaves our sleepover because Michelle and I were making fun of Brian. And I just…ugh you’re not even listening to me,” I groaned upon seeing his eyes glued to the small cell phone screen.

“Whoo Brian’s having a party tonight over at Scar’s place. I’m sorry, baby, what were you saying?”

“Wait, did you just get a text from Brian?”

“Yeah, he said to come to Scar’s tonight for a party.”

I paused a while before saying, “Don’t you think that’s a little weird? If Scar was having a party, then shouldn’t she be the one inviting people?”

Matt just didn’t seem to share my enthused reaction to how crazy all of this is. He decided that he was going to go back to his place for a while and work out or something, leaving me alone to assume all the worst case scenarios for myself.

Michelle was over in the kitchen making a strawberry smoothie. Oddly enough, she doesn’t share my suspicion either. She trusts her “friend” Scar in all ways, and I wish that I could say the same. I guess all the answers I’m looking for will be found out tonight, at this party Scar is having.

Who knows, maybe I’m totally wrong about the whole thing! That would be nice…then there would be no more drama in our nice little circle of friends, well for now anyway.

*Brian’s POV*

As soon as I got back from Scar’s house, I grabbed my cell phone and got to work dialing numbers and sending texts. I kept my promise, keeping the list down to a minimum, at least that’s what I did at first. Somehow it became addicting to “accidentally” send invites to nearly all the people in my phonebook.

There was one girl in particular, Jennie, who I wanted to show up. She’s been on my mind for a while now, ever since she turned me down last year. Since then I’ve been determined to not only make her regret her silly decision, but to take it all the way as well. And this party was exactly what I needed to take care of this little issue.

Scar called me an hour or so later and we chatted for a little while. She was going on about how she was beginning to agree that having a party was going to be a good idea. Of course it’s a good idea, I mean I am the one who came up with the idea. We continued chatting for a little bit, all while responses flooded into my phone’s inbox.

A total of at least 30 people were planning on coming tonight…which will remain a tiny detail that I will forget to tell Scar. Well, guess I better get ready for tonight.

*Normal POV*

When Brian eventually ended the call with me, I set out to find a nice outfit. If I understand him correctly, the only people that should be showing up should be Matt, Val, Michelle, Brian, and Jimmy I guess. I don’t really get what the point of having five people over really is, but I guess it’s better than spending a night alone. I ended up selecting a Misfits t-shirt with black skinny jeans. It was just going to be a low-profile party, right?

The doorbell started ringing at around 8 o’clock, just like when Brian said. And guess who was the first person there – Brian himself.

“Wow, Scar, you look…amazing,” he gasped when I opened the door, revealing my face.

I smirked, “Yeah, I know.”

He let himself inside and shut the door behind him. I glanced at the clock and saw that it was five minutes till 8. Of course everyone would end up coming fashionably late.

“I think I’m having a little déjà vu here. Weren’t we just in this same position less than 24 hours ago,” he whispered, pushing me up against the wall in the foyer. If he thinks he can intimidate me, he is sadly mistaken.

“Yeah, I believe we were, except I don’t know if you can handle a repeat of it all.”

He laughed, “Oh c’mon Scar we both know that’s a lie. In fact, allow me to demonstrate…”

He grew serious suddenly as his head tilted ever so slightly and his body crept closer to mine. Just as his lips were about to brush up against mine, the door bell rang shrilly throughout the empty house.

“People are here,” he said, stating the obvious. Yeah, people are here alright…ruining my fun.

I put a smile on my face as I walked toward the door only to find someone other than who I had expected to find on the other side of the door.

“Kyle?” I asked dumbfounded as he along with a group of people waited on my porch.

“Hey, Scar…and Brian. Wow, it’s about time you two got together. You guys make one helluva hot couple!” he shouted as he practically pushed himself inside.

Brian and I were about to deny the comments, but so many people piled in that even if we had attempted to interject, no one would’ve heard us. I glared over at Brian as more and more people stormed through the door. Eventually, Val, Michelle, Matt, and Jimmy arrived to save me from this madness. But I’d chat with them later…after I lock my damn front door!

Brian had disappeared a couple of minutes ago, not to my surprise…I saw him checking out every girl that walked in. He wouldn’t do something with one of them in my own house…would he?

As I was forcing my way through the massive herds of people crammed into my living room, I couldn’t help but pick up on the majority of what was being said. “I bet she’s having this party to celebrate her new relationship. Hell, I would be if I was with Brian Haner!” one girl shouted to her friend over the music.

“Dude, Haner scored hardcore with his new chick,” a guy said to his buddy who was gulping down a shot.

“Who is it?”

“How could you not know?! It’s Scar Carlson!”

“Damn, I want some of that.”

What the hell? How can all these people say that Brian and I are going out when I didn’t even know that we were? This party has officially gotten out of control. After a few more minutes of searching, I found him already half drunk in the kitchen.

“Brian what the hell did you do?!” I shouted as soon as I got his attention.

“Hey, baby I didn’t do anything…except throw the best pre-grad party ever,” he grinned.

“Five people. That’s all that I agreed to. Not fucking fifty people, most of whom think we are together!”

He wrapped his arm around my shoulder as he leaned on me for support. “Oh babe we are together you and me all the way! But hey I need to go use the bathroom. Wait here for me,” he said drunkenly. I shoved him off me and watched as he stumbled out of the room.

“Ugh, I need a drink,” I mumbled.

“I’ll help you with that,” Jimmy said, being his creepy old self and popping up out of nowhere.

“Give me the best that you’ve got.”

And with those words, Jimmy delivered me his greatest, nameless concoction and the secrets began spilling. I told him all about how much I like Brian and how much I hated this party. Oh, and how worried I was about Michelle finding out.

“Don’t worry about it, Scar, I got your back. I’ll keep it all to myself and I’ll even chat with Brian to see if he feels the same.”

I smiled as I gave him the biggest head I could and headed for the other room. “Where are ya heading?”

“To go find Brian!”

I searched all through the entire first floor of the house, but he was nowhere in sight. Frustrated, I decided to just go up to my room and escape this craziness for just a little while, and then I’ll continue the search.

As I approached the door to my room, I could’ve sworn I heard moans and other strange noises. But, I’m sure that’s just coming from downstairs. Plus, I’ma little very drunk so I wouldn’t be surprised.

All I wanted was to relax on my nice bed and wait for all the assholes downstairs to leave. I twisted the handle to the door to be met with my worst nightmare. This had to be a drunken hallucination…it just had to be!
♠ ♠ ♠
what does scar find when she enters her room? what does val find out during the party? will scar's feelings for brian change after this night...find out in the next chapter

wow there were no comments last time :( please can i just get 2-3 comments??