‹ Prequel: All About You
Sequel: Stay With Me

The Heart Never Lies

Welcome Back

Danny and I got off our plane, after a very long flight, and went to pick up our luggage. Then we agreed on renting a car and had to wait a good twenty minutes until they handed us the keys.

I laid across some seats and tried to cat nap while Danny stood close by me. I felt him staring at me, but I was too lazy to comment on it.

"Here's the keys to a car we have waiting for you outside," the rental car dealer announced, handing Danny the keys and glancing at me. "Is she okay?"

Danny nodded, "Just tired."

"Okay. Well, thank you for renting from us. We'll see you in a week."

I felt Danny tap my shoulder, telling me to get up as he replied to the dealer with a nod.

Slowly I stood up, but I instantly put my head on Danny's shoulder as we walked.

"You need to stay up so you can tell me how to get to your house."

"Just call my dad. He can lead you home because I have no clue how to get there from here."

"Fine."

Within ten minutes, all our luggage was packed into the rental car and we were headed to my house, Danny talking to my dad on the phone.

I barely heard a word as sleep took over me, causing my head to fall against the window.

Danny glanced at me in curiosity and smiled seeing I was out cold, then continued his conversation with my dad.

Tugging by my hip and a click woke me up. I barely opened my eyes to get a glimpse of my surroundings and then closed them again. I was home and Danny was getting me out of the car.

He put his left arm behind my back and his right under my legs, carefully lifting me out of the car. With the sudden feeling of being lifted, I instinctively wrapped my arms around Danny's neck for extra reassurance.

I heard Danny chuckled when my head fell on his shoulder, then the car door being pushed shut. Slowly, Danny made his way to the front door of the house.

"You don't have to carry me," I muttered drowsily.

"Go back to sleep, love," he cooed, ringing the doorbell.

I wanted to protest, but the sound of the front door opening kept me from opening my mouth.

My mom greeted Danny happily and said something about me that I instantly forgot. Danny greeted her back as he walked inside, careful not to hit my head on the door frame.

Gently, Danny placed me on the couch in the main room, brushing my hair out of my face, and then announcing he was going to get our luggage.

I listened to my mom inform him that his room was downstairs and then she ordered my brother to help with the suitcases.

The front door opened and closed, suddenly making the room seem empty. I curled up in a tight ball, wishing I was back in the car with Danny.

Less than a minute went by and I heard Danny and my brother return.

"Is that all?" my mom asked.

"Yeah," Danny answered, shuffling towards my room to drop off my things. My brother went downstairs with Danny's things.

My mom suddenly yawned loudly, making my ears ring shorty because of the volume.

"I'm heading to bed, so feel free to settle in and make yourself at home, Danny," she announced.

"Thanks, Mrs. Rogers."

"No problem. Oh, I forgot to mention that my husband is staying the night at the hospital and he might come home early in the morning before he goes to work.

"Okay."

I knew my mom smiled and then I listened to her go down the hall to her room, the dogs following, and shut her door.

Another set of footsteps came up the stairs, belonging to my brother.

"Your stuff is in your room," Matt said before shutting himself in his room.

Silence filled the air and I could feel Danny watching me.

"I don't want you to sleep downstairs," I mumbled with my eyes still closed.

Danny came over and took a seat on the edge of the couch. "It's okay with me. I really don't want to get in trouble with your family and I know you don't either."

I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and focused them on Danny's blue ones. "But you already sleep in the basement in your own home."

He rested his hand on the side of my face, "It's fine."

"It's so cold down there, though," I continued to argue.

"I'll manage."

My mouth opened to reply, but his hand covered it immediately.

"Will you cut it out? I'm not complaining about where I'm sleeping and you shouldn't be complaining for me. You're parents might assume things."

I sat up slowly and put my head on his shoulder, hugging his arm. "They know me."

He sighed and gave me a knowing look. "Tom."

"What about him?"

Danny forced me off his arm and stood up. "You need to go to bed."

I stared at him in confusion, but then I got off the couch with hurt written on my face. I walked passed Danny silently and disappeared into my room, shutting the door quietly.

There was a moment of silence until I heard Danny go down the stairs to his temporary room.

Sadly, I turned my light off and snuggled under my covers and into one of my body pillows. My arms tightly wrapped around it and I held it close to me. Silently I laid there brooding, but then I sighed and finally closed my eyes.

I had a feeling the next morning was going to be stressful...
♠ ♠ ♠
Ooh. I little Sydney and Danny disagreement. I wonder what will happen in the morning? :P So the next chapter is kinda sweet and sad at the same time. If you've seen the movie Return to Me then you might really like the next chapter. :) It's my favorite chapter thus far. :) I'm feeling generous today so if I get enough comments (which I love all of the ones I've been getting) by this evening, you might see chapter 5 up. :) I hope you liked this. Till next time!