Crooked Teeth

Chapter 1

It was one hundred degrees as we sat beneath a willow tree

"I think I'm in love."

"With me?"

"No." I shook my head and put out my cigarette on the grass. "We've talked about this before. And you know very well who am I talking about."

He sighed and stared blankly at the annoyingly bright blue sky.
"I wish you'd quit smoking."He said softly, still staring in the air. I shrugged. I knew I'm too weak for that. Yet he still kept the hope I would just stop it. I didn't have to look at him to know what he is thinking, but my eyes slid instinctively to his face. He sat quietly, his head prodded against the trunk of the old tree. His short, blonde hair barely provided his face any shadow. He let out a sigh again and his eyelids fell to cover his green eyes. These were the weirdest shade of green I've ever seen.

Dean was my best friend. He was the only one to understand me, he seemed to have an innate talent for it. Sometimes I wondered why is he still by my side. All I did so far was crying on his shoulder. Once I asked him about this. He said I'm the only person in his life who doesn't judge. He might have been right.

Clouds were slowly accumulating around, looking like they are waiting for the right moment to devour the sun, which was sitting right above us, on the top of the sky. Noon. In the summer is unbearable. Suffocating.
"He goes away. And I'm never gonna see him again"

Dean didn't even bother to open his eyes.
"The whole summer break 'til then."

"Just one month."

"It's almost the same." He finally looked at me. "Hey, I promise you that I'll get him over here today. And you can be alone with him. You just need to take a chance."

I smiled and ran my fingers through my dark brown hair.
"Do you think I'm pretty enough?" I asked him giggling.

"'Course you are" Dean assured me with a smile, and before I could say 'Thank you' or just goodbye, he was already running in the direction of their house.

whos tears didn't care, they just hung in the air and refused to fall, to fall

The same willow tree, same sounds, same grass we are sitting on, same river behind us as a few hours ago. It wasn't me and Dean this time. It was me and The One. Jayze. He sat the same way as Dean sat today, his head against the trunk, staring blankly at the sky, now fully covered with grey, heavy clouds. There was still no air, and even time seemed to stand still.

Only us two, me and him. Dean left us bringing up his strong feelings against smoking as an excuse. He's a smart guy.
Cigarettes were the only thing in common I had with Jayze(of what I've known yet). We even prefered the same brand. We chain-smoked all afternoon until both of our packs were empty.

"It's gonna rain."He said suddenly. I forced myself not to glance at him, but unfortunately my eyes met his gaze. His eyes captivated mine and I started to drift away. His eyes were hazel and transparent and very deep. His hair matched it in colour, and gave it an irresistible shadow. His skin melted perfectly in the mix of brown and gold, and these colours were so unique and so bright, so unnatural, almost divine, and these days I'm still convinced that he is the only person in the world blessed with such a special skin tone. God must have spent a little more time on him.

We both stood up weakly, me mesmerized by his eyes and his whole radiation, and he, I believe, was just lazy because of the hot and suffocating summer day. He put his hand on my shoulder and gently squeezed it.
"I wanna meet you sometime tomorrow. I wanna talk to you. Like for real." And before I could answer, or even say goodbye, he was running, right in the direction where Dean ran a few hours before.