Where I Love To Be

2

“Hey Alex!” I shouted over the loud music.

I waved frantically at Alex; a friend of mine, and made my way over to him with Amy trailing behind me. After telling Amy for the millionth time that she looked hot in the outfit that I had picked out for her, we finally left our house but not before making sure that Lexa was in her bed. Lexa was our cute little dog which Alex had gotten for me for my birthday which is why I named her Lexa. I was so ecstatic when he gave me the dog !

“Hello ladies,” Alex said as he scooted over so there was enough space for us to sit in.

“How was the concert?” He asked.

“It was awesome! We had so much fun!” Amy exclaimed.

“So guys tell me what you want to drink and I’ll go order,” I declared.

“I’ll take a double jack coke.”

“A beer for me,” Alex said just before we saw Miranda enter the bar.

Miranda was another of our close friends. We met Miranda at a club about a year ago and we instantly clicked. On the other hand, it was another story for Alex. Alex and Amy used to date; about 2 to 3 weeks after they started dating they realized that it wasn’t going to work out so they stopped seeing each other. Since Alex had become such a good friend with Amy and me, we ended up staying best friends. You would think it would be kind of weird that a guy you used to date would end up your best friend but that’s what happened .

“Wow guys thanks for waiting for me.” Miranda stated sarcastically .

“Sorry Manda. First come first served,” I said before she stuck her tongue out at me.

“What do you want to drink babe?” I asked grinning.

“Ummm… you decide but don’t get me drunk… at least not yet.” She answered to which we ended up laughing.

I made my way over to the bar, replaying the guys orders in my head. I had this problem with remembering stuff.

“Hey you, it’s been a long time since I’ve seen you here.” I looked around and realised it was Jason; the bartender.

“Yeah I know! This place just isn’t the same without me!” I stated and started laughing.

“Ain’t that the truth! So what can I get you?”

“Umm… a double jack coke, a beer, and two Malibu pineapple ,” I said satisfied with myself for remembering everything.

“Coming right up.”

I sat on one of the stools and tapped my fingers to the music.

“Jessica said that there are celebrities tonight in here.” Jason said as he prepared our drinks.

“Really? Do you know who by any chance?” I asked curiosity dripping from my words.

“Sorry babe, don’t know. I think it’s some band though.”

“Ok,” I replied a little disappointed since I wanted to see who was here.

“Here are you drinks,” he said putting the tray in front of me.

“You want me to take them to your table?” Jason asked.

“Nope thanks Jas, I’ll talk to you later,” I replied before grabbing the tray and slowly made my way to our table.

I carefully placed the tray on the table and sat down between Amy and Alex.

“Lets make a toast, ladies!” Alex declared as we all grabbed our drinks.

“Tonight we are going to get smashed and have a fucking awesome night!” Alex stated before we all cheered and downed our drinks.

*******

After a huge amount of alcohol, accompanied by stupid jokes and loads of laughter, I just knew that this night couldn't get any better. Jason had joined us just after his shift ended and we ended up have loads of fun. Miranda, Amy and I had danced so much that I knew none of us would be able to walk, but for the time being, we didn't care. Something we loved at this bar was that they played awesome songs; songs that would make you want to dance to them all night long.

The girls were between borderline giddy and drunk, I n the other hand was only feeling a tad bit tipsy, and its not because I didn't drink on the contrary I did drink, a lot. But I’m the kind of person who doesn't like to get drunk. The morning after hangovers, doing embarrassing things and not remembering doing them, vomiting; no thanks. I didn't like getting drunk, so when I drank and would start to feel dizzy, I would just stop.

I felt like a mouse surrounded by gigantic humans as I made my way through the crowd. Unfortunately I was quite short and that fact was not helping people realise that they had to move. Finally I managed to get to the bar but to my dismay there was only bartender and he was already full of orders. I decided to sit on a stool and wait.

“Hey bartender!” Shouted a guy over the loud noise, but it was useless, the bartender had a lot of drinks to make. Poor guy, I wouldn’t want to be in his shoes.

“It’s useless,” I told the guy that had shouted.

I guess he decided to do the same thing I did and sat down on the stool next to mine.

“I think you just might be right,” he said as he smiled at me to which I smiled back.
Even though it was pretty dim in the bar and I couldn’t quite see his face and did notice the attractive smile he sent me.

“I wouldn’t want to be in his shoes,” I said as I saw the bartender trying to remember whose drink it was.

“Me neither,” he said.

All of a sudden an idea popped in my head. I got up and went back to our table as I felt a pair of eyes stare at me the whole way.

“Jason can you give me the keys to the bar, please?” I asked and made a puppy dog face.

“Why?”

“Because the new guy is taking forever and I want my drink now! Please?” I begged him adding a pout to my puppy dog eyes face.

“Ok, ok just stopping pouting!” He said giving up and handing me the bar keys .

“Thank you! Thank you! Love you!” I said before I made my way back to the bar, but this time I went around the back where I met David the owner of the bar.

“Hey Val.” He said when he saw me.

“Hey David,” I replied smiling.

“What are you doing back here?” He asked curious.

“I’m going to go help the new guy,” I stated and saw him smiling.

“Typical you to help someone in need, well then I let you go and thanks sweetheart.”

“Not a problem and thanks.” I said and got behind the counter.

I told the new guy that I was here to help and was greeted with a hug. It was kind of funny. I went to the left part and started taking people’s orders. It was a long time since I did this. I had gotten a summer job as a bartender when I was still studying in college, so I was used to do this.

“You work here?” A voice asked behind me.

I turned around and was greeted by the guy that was seated next to me with a surprised look on his face.

“Nope, I’m a friend of the owner and I sometimes help when they need me,” I told him while making drinks.

I gave a woman her drinks and looked around to find that a lot of people had been served. So that only left my drinks and-.

“I guess I’m next,” he declared since he had been waiting for me to serve the other people that were before him.

“Yup, so what do you want?” I asked looking at his handsome face which looked vaguely familiar.

“A Jack Daniels Pitcher and 6 beers ,” he stated staring deeply into my eyes.

I couldn’t help but smile and stare back; he had these chocolate brown eyes which you could get lost just by looking at them. I shook the feeling off and prepared his drinks.

“So… are you from here?” He asked.

“Yeah. You?”

“Me too, I’ve never seen you around,” he said and felt him staring at me the entire time.

“My friends and I used to come here often some time ago, then we just began going to other bars or clubs, I guess. Well as you can see, if it weren't for these heels, I would not be easily spotted,” I said grabbing the beers from the refrigerator.

"Oh come on you're not that short," He stated grinning.

"If you say so..."

“If you don’t mind me asking; you’re not American are you? You have a kind of different accent,” he asked me as I placed a tray in front of him to put the drinks on it.

“It’s ok; nope I’m half Italian. My mom’s American and my father’s Italian, they are currently living in Italy actually,” I don’t know why but I felt at ease talking to him.

“Cool! I guess you miss them a lot?” Even though he was asking a lot of questions I actually didn’t mind, I was having fun talking to him.

“Yeah, until I go visit them in summer and sometimes in winter. I love Italy it’s just so beautiful there, the sea, the cities, and the mountains!” I said remembering all the times I went to Italy.

“Then what made you want to live in the US?”

“Even though I love Italy, I also fell in love with America, the huge cities, the skyscrapers, the entertainment and everything else it has to offer. And I guess another reason was the fact that I wanted to continue my career here.”

“Which is?”

“A pre-school teacher. I know it’s not that much of career to some people but to me it’s everything. I love kids and just to spend time with them, teaching them and sometimes they teach you. I love it!” I said smiling.

“I can see that, your face lightens up just talking about your job!” He said chuckling.

“Here are your drinks,” I said putting the drink on the tray.

“Thanks! I didn’t quite catch your name?” He asked me sweetly.

“I guess I can trust you with that… just don’t tell anyone… promise?” I said chuckling.

“Oh of course your secret’s its safe with me,” he answered smiling.

“Valentina… Valentina Bellini,” I declared extending my hand for him to shake.

“Now that’s a lovely name. I’m Brian Haner.”