Wishes Do Come True

Alone.

Greta lay in bed, not wanting to open her eyes. She didn't want the day to begin yet, not just yet. She was feeling better, not a lot better, but better. She didn't want to face her. She didn't want to go to school. She knew she had to though. Her stomach rumbled and she remembered that she hadn't eaten since lunch yesterday. Slowly and unwillingly she opened her eyes. The room looked exactly as it had the night before. Light flowed in through her open window. It took a few seconds to get used to and then she stumbled out of bed.

She closed the front door and walked down the front path at 8:40, her usual time. Dressed and ready for school. She lived close enough to the school to walk there and back everyday. She liked walking to school, it gave her much needed time to think.

Greta didn't know what she would do once she arrived at school. The thought occurred to her that she could have left home later and then just gone straight to class but it was too late now. She decided to take her time. She was in no rush to get there. She didn't want to see or talk to Eva. Rather annoyingly her locker was situated right next to Greta's. This was slightly her own fault as she had been the one to suggest the idea.

At 8:55 she arrived at school. Greta sighed happily remembering that she had no regular classes with Eva. Which then reminded her of her only class with her. The up-side to this was that it was only once a week. The down-side: it was with Jamie, too.

She walked down to her science room. Every class she had from now on she would be alone. She had half of her classes with Jamie. In those classes she would normally have sat with him, under the new circumstances however that was never going to happen again. She sighed as she turned the corner, science was with Jamie.

Jamie stood talking to his friend Rod. He looked at Greta and then looked away not realising it was her. He then quickly looked back, eyes slightly wider and turned his back on her.

Greta wasn't exactly happy about his reaction but she didn't want to have a full on shouting match with him. She wasn't the confrontational type. She didn't fight with anyone, just her family. When she fought with any member of her family she felt free to say almost anything and she always knew that they'd make up. If she fought with anyone else that wouldn't be true. Even if she did fight with someone she wouldn't know what to say. She didn't have much experience.

The bell went and the class filed in. She took a seat on the end of the second row. The row was normally left empty, she didn't care.

The teacher, Mr. Chen, a young man in his mid-twenties announced to the class that they were to be doing a prac and that everyone should partner up. Greta got up quietly and headed towards the front bench. She didn't want to have a partner. She was independent enough to do the experiment on her own.

Greta was just about to begin the experiment when a boy, whom she had disliked greatly for as long as she could remember, came up to her. "Hey Greta. Long time, no talk. Do you mind if I be your partner?" The bullying Benji asked.

"Yes, Benji. I do mind. Now, if you don't mind I'd actually like to get to work." Greta said, slipping on her safety glasses and began working.

"Well, it doesn't matter if you mind or not. Mr. Chen said I have to be your partner." Greta sighed. She really didn't want to be partners with Benji.

"Fine. But don't do or say anything. Just stand right there and watch." She said bossily. It was one of Greta's sides, she had many of them. When she wanted to get work done she could be very bossy. Not that there was anyone there for her to boss normally.

Greta completed the prac with minimal interruptions from Benji. They took their seats once she was done and Greta sat in silence for the rest of the lesson answering the set homework questions.

When the bell rang to signal the beginning of recess Greta walked slowly to her locker. She did not want to risk bumping into Eva.

Greta began her slow climb of the stairs to her locker.

"Greta! Wait!" A familiar voice called out to her. She finished her ascent of the stairs and turned to see Jamie chasing after her.

Greta had no desire to see Jamie right then, or ever again actually. She continued walking towards her locker. It wasn't as if she had bad feelings towards him. She did not hate him. She just did not want to waste anymore of her time on him. He had cheated on her and did not deserve any of it.

"Greta, please." Jamie had followed her up to her locker. Greta was never very good at giving people the silent treatment, so she decided against it.

"What?" She said with a sigh. Greta opened her locker and put her books away inside and turned to face him.

"Ummm." Was all Jamie could say. Greta sighed again and turned back to her locker shaking her head.

Jamie laughed nervously and said, "I wasn't actually expecting you'd let me talk to you." He scratched the back of his head and continued, "I don't actually know what I want to say to you."

Again, Greta turned to face him. She looked at him with no real interest, her eyes dull and half closed and her mouth not in a smile or frown, just a limp line - her Zombie Stare. Greta liked her Zombie Stare, it could always capture the way she felt and what she was thinking. In a droning voice she said, "Sorry would be a good start."

"Ohh. Right. Sorry?" Jamie said unconvincingly.

"Whatever." Greta said with a sigh and turned back to her locker, this time with no intention of ever turning back to him again. She pulled out an apple and made sure her mp3 player was in her pocket, securely locked her locker and walked off.

As Greta walked she wondered what she was going to do without Eva. How was she supposed to waste away her recess and lunch breaks alone? She sighed - it seemed she would be doing a lot of that - and walked to a less inhabited area of the school. If she was going to be alone, she may as well be completely alone.

The day passed too slowly for Greta, unfortunately it also brought in a lot of homework. To make matters worse, her mp3's battery ran out while she was walking home. Stepping through the door to her sanctuary she decided she would get all her homework out of the way first and then spend the rest of her time doing, well, nothing.

"Greta! Is that you dear?" Greta's mum called down to her from the kitchen.

"Yes." She said loudly.

"Well come downstairs, then!"

"I'm going to do some homework. Maybe later!" She said and shut the loud enough for her mother to hear. Greta pulled her school bag over to her desk and took out all her books, piling them on the far edge of the desk. Greta was glad to have trivial things to keep her mind off what had happened like deciding which homework to do first. Maths or English?

Greta's bedroom door opened with a creak. "Greta. I told you to come downstairs." Her mother said, scolding her.

"What for?" She asked annoyed, not looking away from her now open maths book. She didn't like math that much, but as for every subject, she tried her best.

"You have a guest." Her mother said, already leaving to go down stairs.

"What? Who!?" Greta asked, confused.

Already back in the kitchen, Greta's mother called back one name, "Lucy!"
♠ ♠ ♠
I thought this chapter was already complete... but it wasn't. Ugh.

It's complete now though, so yay! :)