Made It?

The only chapter.

He was the only one out of us with any talent. We all knew it, and none of us knew why he stayed. He talked with us, laughed with us, but it was all really waiting. Waiting for him to decide that he could find better company, for him not to come back. We didn't know what he would do, but he would succeed brilliantly at it, we were sure.

So now, I'm guessing you wonder why he's not here, or in the news, or otherwise doing brilliantly? Well, we're not exactly sure, because he went away. But we think that's how he wanted it. We've decided by now that he never wanted to do well. Or maybe it was an experiment, or maybe both.

But anyway, he got into music. He made three of us into his band – Alistair, Nick, and myself – but we weren't really anything. His playing was what got us anywhere, and his looks didn't hurt us, either. Oh, right, what he played was guitar, and he sang some. Nick was really supposed to be the singer, but he was better at it than Nick, so he ended up taking over the singing. Nick left us, and that was before
we really got far. Alistair was the drummer, I was bass.

We got signed to a small label, and recorded this CD, I have it here somewhere. Wait a minute, I'll find it. Oh, there it is. Yeah, this CD. It was all right, not amazing, but we were noticed. And people tried to convince him away from our band, but he wouldn't leave. We stayed on that label for a while, recorded two more CDs, they're right here too. We toured around some, got pretty popular. And then we were offered a contract with a major label.

Suddenly everybody knew us, it was ridiculous. I couldn't go anywhere without someone yelling my name at me. I'm sure it was much worse for him, but this seemed to have been something he was waiting for, because he now started acting really differently. Or maybe it just affected him that way. But whatever it was, he changed. Now he wore enough makeup that you nearly couldn't tell who he was, and he didn't seem to wear the same clothing on stage twice.

At first, the fans were outraged, but it settled down quickly, and the general opinion became that he was revolutionary rather than just weird, that he was of the future. He got stranger and stranger, and the fans just loved it. We were happy, though none of us understood what he was doing, but we knew it worked. That was until he quit.

One day, he just didn't show up, and he hasn't shown up since. We tried on our own, but it just didn't work. He was the one who made it all work out, and he was gone. He was really the band, and that's clear now. So, we have no idea what happened to him.

If he comes back, tell us, will you? We'll forgive him.