Seconds

Chapter 3

Running her finger along the single red rose she was holding, she began humming a tune to herself. It was the one song that her and Gerard used to sing all the time.

Nikki had never felt so heartbroken and Gerards death was something she would never get over. It pained her to think that all the time Gerard and her had been the best of friends, the pair of them had been hiding their true feelings for each other in fear of the other one rejecting them.

Just after Gerards death, Mikey had told her the reason Gerard had come looking for her that day. He was going to tell her that he loved her. Something which she had been hiding from him as well for all these years.

Why hadn't they just told each other from the start? They could have had so many memories together and none of this would have happened.

Now she would never know what it feels like to kiss him, to hold him, to love him and to have him do the same for her. The closest she ever had to that closeness with him was in her dreams. Now that's all she'd ever have.

The one opportunity she had to make her dreams come true were snatched away from her in seconds.

Feeling the tears forming in her eyes once more she kissed the rose she held and placed the flower upon his grave.

"We will be together one day..." she whispered before standing up and walking out of the graveyard and back into the real world. A world that would always feel that bit emptier now he had passed.

At least she had learnt something.

To act there and then, as you never know what's around the corner...