Sequel: Shut Up. Kiss Me.

Just Jenny!

Chapter 43

Frankie!” I laughed squatting down to his level…okay who am I kidding, kid’s just about my height. “Merry Christmas!”

“Jenny, rightyou draw all those comics online with the monkey hat and the coffee?” Frankie asked excitedly looking over at a little girl about his age. Ah, so that’s the crush he was telling me about!

“Yep, that’s right. Who’s this lovely girl Frank?” I asked him trying to hide my giggles.

“This is Maddie, she’s my best friend, and she loves Jenny!” He introduced excitedly draping his arm around her, trying to act all suave.

“Well it’s lovely to meet you Maddie, you know I have it on good authority that Frankiehere has your Christmas gift upstairson his dresser, wrapped in redpaper.” I hinted…pretty badly, trying to let Frankie know that I’d delivered.

With matching grins both kids ran up the stairs leaving Kevin and I to laugh after them.

“What was thatall about?” he asked laughing.

“Frankie’s got a crush, and he asked me to help him pick out a special gift. So a made a deal with him, he writes his own note, and tries not to break her heart, and I provide the goods. I gave Nick specific instructions on the gift placement.” I shrugged.

Smooth, so what’d you get her?”

“Something she wanted, a signed copy of the book containing all the Jenny comics I put out this year. That and a kid friendly version of my charm bracelet with a little tank charm.” I giggled, “That part I stole from you.” I grinned.

“I can’t believe my babybrother will be the only one with a girlfriend at this party.” He laughed incredulously as we made our way to Nick and Joe who were surrounded by a gaggle of teenage girls.

“You sureabout that?” I asked raising an eyebrow at all the short shiny silvery dresses, no wonder Joe thinks I’m not sexy enough…though to be fair I’m not known as a teen star, or star at all…and have more curves than most Disney girls, so something that small would look more overtly sexual on me.

“Jenny!” Joe greeted me wide eyed, Jenny one Joe zero! “Okay, not a nun.” He whispered into my ear as we hugged, before allowing me to hug Nicky.

“Nice dress.” He whispered, and I swear I heardhim smirk!

“Jen, these are some of our friends, Demi, Selena, Emma, Hillary, Allison, David, Zac, and Dallas.”Kevin introduced, before he got accosted by Mrs. J asking him to help her in the Kitchen, after her warm welcome.

Great…just what I need to be thrown into the deep end of social awkwardness. I don’t do so well with mingling, I’m awkward, and they’re pretty perfect wholesome celebs, who actually seem really nice, but are waytoo pretty (even the boys) for their own good!

“You do that column on the Daily O-onlineright?” Hillary asked a second later, catching me off guard and pulling me out of my social leprosy as the rest of the group talked amongst themselves.

“Yes, did those two brief you on talking to me?” I asked motioning towards Nick and Joe who were obviouslytrying to eavesdrop.

“No,” she laughed giving me Lizzie McGuire flashbacks, “Actually the director of the movie I’m working on turned me on to it as research for my part.”

Really? That’s pretty cool, and unexpected.” I laughed a little shocked by her confession.

“Yeah, I’m playing this up and coming magazine columnist, but there’s the whole romantic comedy twist obviously. It’s better than it sounds, but I got all this homeworkalong with the script, you know movies to watch, stuff to read to kind of figure out how to play this character and give her a realshape you know?” she asked looking every bit intelligent and ditzy…jut my kind of girl.

“That makes sense, you want to play believable, although if you don’t mind my saying so, I think you’d play her best a little light hearted…from the little I know of the plot.”

“What do you mean?” she asked interested.

“Well, kind of an intelligent ditz…if that makes any sense? You want the character to be credible and smart, but I find the best parts of my writing come from my, oh my gosh, I’m a dork and I can’t believe I just did thatmoments.”

Yes! That’s what I love about your column, I mean the comic is cute, but I love reading all the normalstuff that happens, only in a totally crazy way!” She exclaimed.

“Thank you, I really can’t wait to see the movie, I’ve got to keep a look out now!” I laughed.

“Yeah for sure, though now that I officiallyknow you I may just hit you up for more advice on how to do the nerdy girly girl, in a good way!” she added leaving no room for offence.

“That could work, my nerdiness is best shared with the world.”

“So, what’s the deal with you and Kevin?” she asked as we made our way to the drink table.

“As of now? We’re just best friends I guess, I don’t know how anyone would describe us.” I laughed, because if Idon’t know then how can I honestly tell her?

“Really? Well I think you’d be totallycute together. How did you meet anyway?”

“What you don’t think I have a rolodex fullof celebs phone numbers?” I gasped in mock shock.

“Well of course you do, I was just wondering how you got Kevin’snumber in there.” She giggled.

“Email.”

Email?”

“He sent me an email through my fan site.”

“You’re kidding.”

“Nope, though to be fair, it was afterhe replaced my coffee and gave me a clean tee shirt to change into at a local Starbucks.” I shrugged.

“He’s the guy!?”she whisper yelled excitedly.

"Shh! Yes.” I laughed giddily, wow I’m sogirl talk depraved!

I spent most of the Christmas party being introduced to people I’ll probably never see again, hanging out with Hillary, who I think may turn out to be a great friend given the chance, and staring longingly at Kevin whenever he had to step away to talk business with people.

Gag, I can’t believe I just admitted to that! Shoot me now!

If there’s onething you need to know about me, other than my coffee addiction that is…it’s that I’ve probably seen everyChristmas movie ever made, a few times over actually.

I know ever quip, pun, song, and tear jerking moment…whythen it never dawned on me that the nastygreen thing hanging above my head was notsome shriveled up piece of cilantro, but in fact mistletoe, the world may never know. Here I was minding my own business, taking a moment to simply breatheinstead of having to mingle, and explain my relationship with the Jonas clan to various party people who probably won’t remember my name by tomorrow morning anyway when out of nowhere, I feel someone hug me from behind…before I could even think of repeating the Joe incident Kevin decided to speak up, obviously helikes his nose without the swelling too. “It’s just me.” He chuckled.

“Don’t scare me like that!” I giggled craning my neck to look at him.

“Sorry, I was just passing by on my way to help Frankie set up the video games in the other room when I spotted you standing here all alone.” He grinned resting his head on my shoulder.

“I see, it’s very nice of you to try and keep me company, but don’t you still have to help Frankie?” I asked turning around in his slackened grip.

“Yeah, I do.” He sighed apologetically before walking away…he didn’t make it more than three paces before I heard him calling me.

“Ye…?” the single syllable died in my throat, as Kevin tilted my chin up for a tender kiss. Unfortunately it was over almost as soon as it began, and before I could fully process what just happened Kevin pulled away spared a conspiring glance above my head, then justas he opened his mouth to speak…Frankie burst in demanding assistance.

That’s when I finallylooked up, at the stupidfreaking mistletoe, and did the only thing I coulddo when faced by Kevin’s retreating form as he sent me an apologetic glance…I just shook my head and laughed, like the crazy that I am.