Daddy's Little Darlings

Jake

Last year, I was a newbie to the school I go to now. I was in Year Eight. We moved, because of what happened at my old school.
I fell in love.
It was not some stupid crush, or a swoon over a teacher. It was real. I loved him and he loved me. It was great.
Jake was everything I had ever wanted and so much more. He was cool-he had nice hair that smelt of oranges. He had loads of cool, older, we're-so-much-better-than-you friends who looked down their noses at me. He had a black bedroom, listened to Kerrang! and owned a box set of The Mighty Boosh. He read vampire novels, collected gemstones and wore skinny jeans and red glasses. He was the only one for me, and I was made-up that he had picked me.
He left a dead mouse in my locker.
One night, I left my locker open* by accident*and when I came to it the next morning, I found a dead mouse in it. It was from Jake. He was leaning against the wall and grinning, even more so when I screamed and dropped it on the floor.
MY FIRST THOUGHT: God, what a creep.
The next day, I found a note saying:
That mouse was for Emma Lee next door. Sorry, Reilly.
And there were three jellybabies there too. I looked round but Jake wasn't there, grinning. I saw him in English, and after class, I slide up to him and pressed three cola cubes into his hand. And that was it. We were in love.
It is strange how you can go from hating someone one minute to loving them the next.
Jake was always there for me when life got bad. He took me out, walked me home from swimming club, drew me pictures of mice, left me notes in my locker and gave me jellybabies. I did stuff for him in return. I bought nicer clothes, watched him play basketball, sent him stupid postcards and gave him cola cubes.
I got my first kiss from him.
I met his parents, and his glamerous sister and little brother. I had tea with them, washed up afterwards, played Spin the Bottle and ate jellybabies in front of the T.V, sitting on his knee. The only problem was, he wanted to come round to mine. I had no problem at first-he had come round plenty of times before, met Mum and Danny. One day, he saw Mum with bruises and his clever brain worked it out. He made sure he was only free on the night Dad was home,and he confronted him.
I'll never forget that night. The night when I lost my love forever.