Survival Guide to Boys

Chapter 3

I floated inside and upstairs to my room. Alex was...amazing. I couldn't wipe the smile from my face, even when my mom came in to check on me.

"What happened? Did you get drunk?" she demanded.

"No, Mom, I met a guy!" I squealed.

Her face softened. "Is he cute? What's he like? Did you kiss him? What's his name?"

"Yes, amazingly wonderful, yes, Alex!"

"Oohh! So when am I going to meet this amazingly wonderful Alex?" she asked.

"I don't know, I gave him my number and he may pick me up tomorrow."

"Pick you up? Wait, how old is this boy?"

"Um, sixteen. Maybe. I think."

Her face tensed up again. "Sixteen? Kail, that's four years older than you."

"So? It's really just three, since my birthday is coming up. I'll be fourteen soon."

Mom sighed and touched my shoulder. "I'll give him a chance. Don't let him in your pants. And tell Don he's a nerd. Please."

Don was my stepdad, overprotective, workaholic, and mean as a snake. He hated boys, and he thought I would turn out to be a skank.

"Promise."

She kissed my head and told me good night and I crawled in between the sheets. My mind couldn't stop thinking about Alex's lips, his arms, his sexiness. I really hoped he called tomorrow.

The next morning, I woke up around 10:30 to hear my phone ringing. I jumped out of bed and opened it up to see who it was. ALEX, it said. I hit the green phone button and took a deep breath.

"Hello?"

"Hey Kaily. How are you sweetheart?"

"I'm good, I missed you," I blurted out.

"I missed you too, babe. Do you want me to come pick you up this afternoon and you and I could go to the mall?"

My breath caught in my throat. He really liked me! I was tingling all over.

"Yes yes!" I squealed.

"Then I'll be there at one. Bye!"

He hung up and I dropped my phone.

Alex.
Really.
Liked me!