Scars

Confessions Of The Heart

The Joker and Scarlett was both surprised by the loud bang. At first she thought maybe a gun had went off in the hall way and it was just loud, but once she saw the look of agony spread across Jack's face she knew her assumptions and hopes was wrong.

The pain was shooting through his back. He breathed in and looked into her eyes. Fear was quickly growing across her face. Though, he'd never show it, fear was growing inside of him. He knew that someone behind them had a gun and the thought of Scarlett possibly being injured scared him shitless. Moving past his own pain he turned around and saw a almost lifeless Zeke holding a pistol. Clearly he had used what strength he had left to crawl across the floor and then grip the weapon. He was spitting and coughing up blood as he laughed. The Joker strained himself and bent down and pulled the gun from Zeke's almost lifeless hands. With one shift kick he pounded his foot into Zeke's face. The laughing though continued.

Scarlett eye's couldn't concentrate on nothing but the back of his back. She saw where the bullet went through leaving his purple jacket mangled. She saw blood gashing from the wound, and wondered how he was still able to move, let alone walk. Tears left her eyes as she noticed him holding the gun to Zeke's head, she closed her eyes as a shot filled the air once again.

Chad came running into the room and looked on at the bloody mess. He looked down and saw a scarred and mutated Zeke laying on the flour. His entire body looked as if he was dipped down into a pool of blood and brought back out. The Joker was hunching towards the door way, preparing for his exit, while Scarlett was just standing there arms crossed pale as she could be, looking like she had just saw a ghost.

Chad: Scarlett? Scars?

He whispered getting closer to her, by this time Jack had already managed to walk out of the room. Chad gently placed his hands upon Scarlett's cheeks and whispered to her again. Was she in shock? He whispered her name yet again but a bit louder, this time though it got her attention. He watched as her ocean blue eyes closed and then reopened a bit watery.

Scarlett: Ja-Ja-Jack.. where is he?

She questioned her cousin who just scrunched his eyebrows up in a confused manner. He was so caught up in figuring out what was wrong with Scarlett that he didn't even think about Jack. He slowly turned around and examined the room for him and saw no one. He took off his jacket and wrapped it around his cousin as they walked out of the room. He let go of her once he saw The Joker laying on the ground in the hall way. He got about 6 feet away from the door before collapsing to the ground.

He struggled but Chad finally managed to get him on his feet. He yelled for Scarlett to go get the others who were waiting in the van. She rushed off, still shocked but wanting to help. She hissed to the clowns inside the van to go and help Jack. They all followed her orders knowing that if they didn't then there would be hell to pay.

Most of them was shocked when they saw him unconscious. They had just left the building a matter of minutes ago and he was fine. Rushing around like a clan preparing for their first big show at the circus the mask men helped Chad load him into the van and off to the hideout they went.

Scarlett was sitting beside him in the van the entire time. She had lifted his head and placed it in her lap. She ran her fingers through his oily green hair and caressed his cheek with her hand. Single tears were falling from her eye down onto his face making his already messy applied make-up even messier. She began humming the same tune that she had heard him hum so many times. Hoping to sooth him, and maybe even bring him out of his sleep.

The men looked back at her as they saw her humming his tune. Part of it made fear strike deep down in their bones. The tune that he hummed scared them to death. Another part of it made them feel soothed and okay. They had never heard it in a feminine manner. Most of them still didn't understand the relationship between The Joker and Scarlett. They figured that they never would. No one was brave enough to question him about it, and they was scared to question her about it due to him. So it was a closed street. The only ones who knew the truth behind their relationship would be themselves.

Arriving at the hideout the goons helped carefully move The Joker inside. Sleepy rushed off to his room. A fact that the rest of the team seemed to be unaware of was Sleepy was a licensed doctor. The reason for being in Arkham though was because of how he tried to test his newest medical inventions on patients, who were unwilling. They considered him insane and locked him away vowing that he could never doctor again. That was until the Joker found him and broke him out of Arkham.

They had cleaned off the kitchen table and placed The Joker on it. Scarlett had yet to leave his side. She was now holding his hand as a few of his men stood around the room confused and some what shocked. They had never seen the man so helpless in his life. It was weird how one single shot could do so much damage.

Chad placed his hands on his cousins shoulders as a support. She knew it must be hard for her, seeing someone who she had grown to love lay there unconscious and helpless.

Sleepy walked into the room pulling his gloves on. Everyone seemed to turn their attention to him as he walked into the room further and inspected The Joker. Scarlett just scanned him over and for the first time studied his features. He was probably in his middle 30s. Dark brown hair, Carmel colored eyes, tan skin. She watched as he turned the Joker's body over so now he was laying on his stomach. The goons had already removed his jacket.

He examined the wound and then smirked as he looked up from it and into the eyes of Scarlett.

Sleepy: It missed all of his arteries and it missed his spine. He's probably just unconscious due to the blood loss.

She looked at him with a questioning expression but never said a word. He seemed intelligent and looked as if he knew what he was doing. She watched as he used medical tools to remove the bullet and nurse Jack back to health. Part of her was glad he was unconscious, she was positive if he was awake it would be very painful to endure what Sleepy was doing.While the other part of her wondered if he even knew what he was doing.

Scarlett: How do you know how to- -
Sleepy: I'm a doctor, or was.
Scarlett: Was?
Sleepy: I lost my license three years ago for "mistreating" my patients.

She just nodded her head as she watched him place a bandage across the wound. He patted it a bit and then gave himself a pat on the back for a job well done. He looked around the room at all the confused faces.

Sleepy: He'll be fine. He just needs some sleep. I advise someone stay with him though to make sure his breathing doesn't turn shallow.

Scarlett nodding her head as Chad ask another man to help him. They packed The Joker upstairs to his bedroom. Chad kissed his cousin on the cheek and left the room closing the door behind him. He knew that she probably wanted to be alone with him, aware that she probably needed the rest herself.

Still a bit in shock Scarlett looked over at Jack and smiled. The happiest moment in her life was when Sleepy told her that he was going to be fine. This entire time she was scared she lost him. Walking over she got a shirt out of his dresser and put it on. Chad's jacket was too heavy and uncomfortable. Slowly she walked over to the bed and took a seat beside his upper body smiling down at him. He was still shirtless and most of his make-up was gone from places of his face letting his flawless skin peak through.

She knew from that day forward that she loved the man in the purple suit. She didn't know how nor did she know why, but she loved him. Lining her body up against his she pulled the covers up over them. She kissed his cheek and then moved her lips against his ear and whispered something that would've melted Jack's heart if he was conscious.

Scarlett: I love you, Jack.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's been a few days. I'll try to get another chapter out tonight to make up for it :)
Image