Scars

Drowning Sorrows

Over the next two weeks Scarlett had made the decision that she was going to go forward with moving to the other side of the country for her studies. Her uncle and aunt had went with her last weekend to fly out and take a look at the campus. Scarlett acted as if she fell in love at first sight, but the truth was it didn't even appeal to her. The only appealing thing was the distance it had between Gotham. She wanted as far away from him as she could get.

Libby and Jules didn't take the news of Scarlett moving to the other side of the country well. But they understood that this was something she needed and wanted to do. Promising to keep in contact through email and the phone they had finally come to terms with her moving and leaving Gotham behind, making her promise though that once she was done with school she would move back and even come visit from time to time until she finished.

Chad had tried his damnest to talk her out of it. He knew that it was probably a good idea for her to leave Gotham but he didn't want her to. She was like his sister and best friend all in one. He truly didn't know if he could make it without her. She though let him know that this was something she needed to do. He told her it wouldn't help her get over Jack, but she begged to differ.

Speaking of Jack. The Joker had become more violent causing chaos all through the city. Jim Gordon was on a hunt for him and was not stopping until he had him behind bars. He couldn't stop thinking about her, and knowing that she was moving thousands of miles away was making it even worse. He questioned himself if he had done the right thing. Could he have made it work? Did he really have to let her go? Still telling himself it was for the best he tried his hardest to move on. He's slowly losing what bit of sanity that he had left though.

Scarlett sighed as she placed the last box of her belongings in her new dorm room. She was signed up for classes that were starting in three weeks, but she decided to move in early so she could get used to the campus, and town. She was about 20 minutes outside LA. Her uncle and aunt came along for the move, they wanted to make sure she got settled in. Her uncle payed the school extra so Scarlett could have a dorm to herself rather than having a dorm mate.

Carmine: Do you like it?

He ask sitting down on the twin size bed in the corner of the room. It was painted white and not nearly as large as her room back home though he was sure she was pleased with it when a smile crept across her face walking in. Scarlett looked around and then smiled back at her uncle.

Scarlett: It's perfect.
Shyla: Any idea what you're going to focus on with your studies?
Scarlett: I'm doing basics first and then look into a few different things. I'm thinking social work right now though.

Her uncle smiled and nodded and walked over pulling her into a hug. He loved his niece, she was like a daughter to him and he hated to depart from her but he knew it had to be done. He just hoped she succeeded in college and made something of herself. He and his wife talked a bit longer to her before kissing her on the cheek and leaving her there by herself.

One they walked out of the door and shut it behind them Scarlett broke down. Who was she kidding? How could she do this by herself? She had always been surrounded by a caring family, whether it was her parents(before their death), or her uncle and aunt. She always had someone to lean on and now here she was in a new city alone, and it was all because of him. At least now though she could watch the news without fear of seeing his face. The face she had once longed to see on the screen now sent shivers down her spine. Not because he scared her, no she still didn't think he'd lay a finger on her, but it was just because she knew what he could do to her with just words. He changed her life with a few simple words.

The Joker was driving down the roads of Gotham at a quick speed hearing the sirens behind him he cackled out his signature laugh. His men were now more scared of him than before. He was darker and more sadistic. They wondered what had happened between him and Scarlett but wouldn't dare answer. He hadn't spoke about her, or any of their time together. To them; it was as if he erased her from his mind completely.

Once they lost the cops and arrived back at the hideout he stepped out and ordered his men to bring the hostage in. The girl kicked and scream and he just laughed at her attempts. She was the newest news reporter in Gotham, and he wanted to see if she could bring the batman in. He walked over and placed his hands down in her carmel colored hair and jerked her up off the ground and pulled her inside. He was ready to make a little video for Gotham.

Scarlett began sorting through her belongings that was in the boxes. She had already set up her bed and her desk placing her laptop on the top. She smiled taking some of her posters and pictures out of the box. She started placing them on the wall when she heard a knock at the door. Jumping off her bed she walked over and opened it to see a pretty blond smiling back.

"Hi, I'm Amanda. Just wanted to welcome you. Counselor told me that you moved in early too."

Scarlett nodded and welcomed the blond in, introducing herself and enjoying the giggly personality of the girl. Amanda soon took a seat at Scarlett's desk and she took a seat on the bed. The two girls got to know each other and instantly clicked, sure she wasn't a Jules or Libby but she seemed nice enough to befriend.

Amanda: Wow, you're rooming alone.. how did you manage that?
Scarlett: My uncle.. he's kind of wealthy.
Amanda: You're lucky. I'm here on scholarships. and I'm working to pay for my dorm, that's why I came early, so I could start working in the library. So where are you from?
Scarlett: Gotham City, New York.
Amanda: Damn, the other side of the country. I'm from Nevada. Why'd you come all the way from Gotham?
Scarlett: I just wanted to get away from the city for awhile, collect my thoughts, and piece my life together.

Amanda nodded in an understanding manner and then checked her watch seeing it was time for her to go. She said her goodbyes to Scarlett and promised to keep in touch. One she was gone Scarlett smiled, maybe this whole thing would be a lot easier than she thought. Walking over she pulled back the tacky white curtain and looked out the small window. The view sure was different from back home. She looked to the left and saw part of the school, while to the right was a beautiful park. Back home if she were to look out her window she would catch a glimpse of his hideout. Shaking him from her thoughts she just walked back over and began going through another box.

Chad walked into the hideout and back to the room where the guys pointed. He heard yelling and sniffling. Wondering what was going on he walked inside the room and saw The Joker have a pretty girl push up against a wall with a knife to her throat, dragging it across it leaving a trail of blood behind. He had never saw him man handle a woman like that. He just turned around and walked out of the room before anyone noticed him.

The Joker was holding the knife to the girls throat when he looked into her eyes. They were blue, just like hers. He swallowed hard and then growled at her as he placed the knife into her throat and pulled it across. She fell to the ground holding to it and gasping for breathe. He wanted to use her for bait, but he couldn't stand looking into those eyes anymore. They reminded him so much of her, and he couldn't deal with that right now. Swallowing hard he turned around and faced the camera.

Joker: Batman you just witnessed Gotham's pretty little reporter die. Every day someone will die, unless you show your face. I'm a man of my word.

He said in a very mocking tone. He then let out a loud cackle as he walked back over to the body that was now laying on the floor. He let a look of pure hatred come on his face before kicking her bloody corpse and leaving the room. Walking out he saw Chad standing against the wall.

Joker: What are you doing here? I said we're not doing anything until tomorrow.
Chad: She left earlier today..

The Joker swallowed hard. She had left? She really went through with it, he thought looking back into Chad's eyes. He didn't know why he felt the need to always tell him about her. Didn't he understand that she wasn't the only one suffering? Did no one really think that it didn't affect him?

Joker: Good. I'm sure she'll do great in California.

Chad knew that no matter how many buildings he blew up or how many people he killed, it wouldn't take away the fact that he was hurting because she was gone. He could tell himself it was the right decision all he wanted, but that also wouldn't take away the pain of not having her. He just nodded his head towards Chad and made his way upstairs picking up a bottle of Jack Daniels as he went. He like most people was now drowning his sorrows in liquor. It was the only thing that would help him fall asleep.

Walking into his room he turned the bottle up to his lips and gulped down the contents. He walked over to the window and pulled back the curtain and looked out into the distance. He could see the Falcone mansion, and couldn't believe that she was no longer inside. Frowning he walked over and took a seat on his bed as he continued to drown his sorrows.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to platypusgdfan for always commenting :)
and EarthQuakeOnHerMind for recently commenting :)

Image