The Tale of Alexandria and Murtagh

Chapter 3: The Hatching

I was awoken in the middle of the night by a frantic tapping. I got out of bed and walked over to where I had placed my egg on the table. I sat down and waited for the egg to hatch. After a few minuets the little dragon finally broke free of its bonds. It was a beautiful violet color just like its egg had been. I looked at it lovingly and reached my hand out to caress its head, as I’d seen Murtagh do hours before. As I touched the dragonet I felt a searing pain on my hand and blacked out. As I was coming to I thought I felt some one kiss my palm and lay my hand back down on the table. When I opened my eyes Murtagh was sitting across from me. “How do you feel?” he asked me tenderly.

“Like I was struck by bolt of pure magic and it sucked all the energy out of me. I also feel Hungry thoughts from my dragon.” I paused for a moment. “Murtagh, would you hand me my pack please?”

“Here” he handed my pack to me.

“Thanks.” I got out a handful of meat for my dragon’s first meal. As I fed my dragon I marveled at Murtagh’s transformation from the gruff and cold person I had talked to before, in to this Murtagh who reminded me more of the Murtagh from my dreams. I wondered what had changed in the hours since we had spoken.

Once my dragon’s hunger was sedated I turned to Murtagh and said, “So, it seems that my father was right. My egg hatched.”

“Yes, he was right. He must be a very powerful magician. One I would be glad to learn from.” Murtagh replied, but I sensed that he didn’t’ believe what he was saying. Again it made me wonder why he was so interested in my mother’s name, my parentage, powers and past. He stood up and went back to bed. I followed soon after.