He who rejects change is the architect of decay. The only human institution which rejects progress is the cemetery.

Chapter One- Hate

"Hatred comes from the heart; contempt from the head & neither feeling is quite within our control."

It was common knowledge that they hated each other, they had ever since the first day of school when Frank had “accidentally” tripped Gerard and then Gerard “accidentally” cut a huge chunk of Frank’s hair off during nap time.

As the two grew older the hate grew stronger and nothing would stop them from getting the better of each other. If one of them got a certificate for one months perfect attendance the other would get a certificate for two months perfect attendance.

And now that they worked in the same dead-end coffee shop, they were still in competition with each other.

“Call that a cappuccino Way? Looks more like a crappaccino to me.” Frank sneered

“Ha-fucking-ha! Got anything else Seinfield?”
“For fucks sake can’t we go one minute without you two finding someway to fuck the other one off?!” Bert the dishwasher guy hissed.

Bert had worked at the coffee shop for as long as Gerard could remember and he’d never moved up from being the dishwasher dude, maybe it was because the first ( and last ) time he’d used the coffee machine it had mysteriously burst into flames and the manager couldn’t fire him because he was the owners nephew. He had long, greasy black hair and cursed so much that he could put an Irishman to shame.

“He started it!”

“Oh you’re soo mature, Way.”

Gerard moved closer so he was right up in Frank’s face.

“If you think for one moment Iero that I wont kick your queer ass up and down that street your sorely mistaken.”

“Oh, I’m shaking in my chucks.” Frank mocked.

Gerard grabbed him by the collar of his shirt and pushed him up against the wall.

“Iero, ill mess you up so bad you’ll-”

“MR.WAY LET GO OFF MR.IERO AND GET YOURSELF INTO MY OFFICE!”

The hoarse voice of the manager filled the small coffee shop.

“But Sir-”

“In here now, Way.”
He looked and Frank. He was smirking at him and it took all the strength Gerard had in him not to hit him and to follow the manager into his office.