The Window of Opportunity

Chapter 2

January 28th

Amy walked down the stairs wearing tight blue jeans, a Green Day t-shirt and a pair of creepers, like Billie Joe wears. The Green Day t-shirt has them on the front and tour dates on the back. She was hoping to maybe go and see them live but with Mya and David having a real “disliking” to them. She knew not to even bother asking.
“You guys I'm going to school now,” Amy called grabbing her bag of the couch and walking into the kitchen.
“Guys? Mya, David?” She called but there was no reply.
She turned to walk back through the living room to get to the front door, when she saw something in the corner of her eye. She turned back around to see it was a note on the refrigerator. She walked up to it slowly and read it aloud.

Amy,
we had to leave early for work.
If you need anything call my cell 555-2335


As if she didn't know. They were so protective over her it was making her claustrophobic.
Amy just sighed and made her way to school. She had to catch the bus as Mya and David always left work around the same time as she left for school. Sometimes even earlier.

Amy walked slowly to the bus stop and saw that a bunch of other kids were there waiting for the bus too. She walked in amongst all of them when she saw a poster on the wall.
“Excuse me”, she said pushing past the seniors. She always did things with out thinking, it wasn't anything bad this time but who knows what her curiosity will get her into next time. When she reached the poster she was stunned to see it was a concert poster. It said Green Day were doing a few shows around L.A. Wait they are coming here!?!

Amy put her hand over her mouth. Mostly to stop her screaming and making a fool out of herself in front of the seniors. She closed her eyes and took a second to calm herself. When she opened her eyes she pulled the small poster off the wall and put it in her bag.

The bus came and Amy found herself a nice seat at he back, where she always sat. She sat with her legs crossed and stared out of the window. She was trying not to think about the poster she had just found, saying that Green Day were coming to do a show about a mile from where she lived! And concentrated on what would happen when she got to school.

She would arrive, probably have the cheer-leaders call her a freak, then go to class get some shit of her teacher for not doing her history project.
She could picture everything that was going to happen. Her life was so boring.
“Nothing ever changes”, she's always thought.

Later on, after school had finished, Amy rushed home eager to show Mya and David that poster she had found. The school day had gone exactly as she thought. The cheer-leaders picked on her. Mad fun of her clothes and black hair, she sat alone at luch because she had no friends. She just shrugged it off and continued on with things, believing that all she needed was herself and her mind.

“Mya? David?” She called running into the house after opening the front door.
“In the kitchen”, a womans voice echoed.
Amy rummaged through her bag to find that poster she saw this morning. When she found it she threw her bag on the couch and ran into the kitchen.
“Mya, look”, she said holding the poster out to her.

Mya had straight blond hair, a slim body wearing a pair of cargos and an army coloured tank top. After she read it she smiled before looking up at Amy.
“Green Day?” She asked.
“Their coming here. This is like a once in a lifetime opportunity. I can't miss it, please?” She begged squeezing her hands together.
“Oh honey, come on be realistic. David would never let you go and how are you going to get tickets for this now?” She said folding the paper back up.
“Please, I've been looking forward to telling you all day”, Amy said as her eyes filled up with tears.
“Oh, Amy please don't cry”, Mya said pushing Amy's hair behind her ear and pulling her into a hug.
“I want to go so bad”, Amy cried into Myas shoulder.
“I know honey, I know. We'll have to ask David first and if he says yes, than were gonna fight to get some tickets for you, ok?” Mya said comforting her.
She always had a way of making things better.
“You promise”, Amy said after she stopped crying.
“I promise”, Mya said as Amy pulled away to look at her face.
“I love you”, Mya said then kissing the top of her head.
“I love you too”, Amy replied then hugging Mya again.

Amy went up to her room and played some games on her computer for a while, but then she heard David come home and had to listen in on their conversation. She walked quietly out of her room and sat at the top of the stairs where she could hear everything.

“Why won't you just consider it?” Mya said as David paced back and forth.
“Because a rock concert is no place for a fifteen year old girl”, David said in a concerned voice.
Amy crossed her arms and mumbled to herself, “I'm nearly sixteen,” even though she knew it wouldn't make a difference.

“It's not like she's gonna be alone, ok. I'll be there and you can come too”, Mya tried.
She was sitting on the arm of the couch watching him pace.
“No I don't think so. That's not my idea of fun”, David said crossing his arms.
“Well why don't you stop thinking about what you want and start thinking about what Amy wants”, Mya said realizing how selfish he was being.
“Yeah well I have a good instinct and it's telling me right now not to go along with this”, he protested. “You know what”, Mya said getting up, “I just realized I don't need your permission to take my daughter to a concert”.
David stopped in his tracks. Why did she just say MY daughter?
“Since when has she been your daughter?” He said watching her sit on the couch.
“Since you haven't got a fucking clue how to be her father”, Mya snarled.

David had no comment, he just walked off. On the stairs Amy was shocked to hear Mya, of all people, say that. Especially to her husband. Even though Amy was sad about admitting it, after everything he had done for her, Mya was right. He didn't know how to be her father. Mya and her just clicked but there's always been a gap between her and David.