Who Do You Think You Are?

chapter onze

Alyssa woke up the next morning, with a killer headache, stretching her arms she felt her hand collide with something. She lazily rolled to come face-to-face with John, with a big smile plastered on his face.

“Morning beautiful,” he muffled, before kissing Alyssa.

“H-hey,” she stuttered, blushing like mad. “What happened last night?”

“Well, we won against the US. We had a big party in the hall, you disappeared for like 5 minutes right before midnight and then during the countdown you launched yourself into my arms,” John explained, proudly. “And this you almost decked Tom because he muttered something about Steve.”

“Ohh…now I remember,” Alyssa said with a smirk. “Did I hit Hickey good?”

“No, Stefan grabbed you before you could and then you bounced your head off the doorway when I brought you in to calm down.”

Alyssa rubbed her head, “That’s probably why I have a killer headache.”

Alyssa and John laid in bed for the morning, watching constant re-runs of TSN; playing the Canada – USA game highlights constantly. Soon, John was whisked away from by the team to do some interviews after their thrilling win the night before, which Alyssa by herself.

She found herself aimlessly searching the internet, which soon became very boring. She threw on a pair of sweatpants and a sweater, not caring if it was hers or Johns. Alyssa set out from her room; cellphone and room key in hand, wandering around places was a specialty of hers. There were actually a fair number of other teams staying at the hotel, but on different floors.

Alyssa soon found herself on what looked like Team Russia’s floor, as she could hear husky voices coming from the rooms, as she walked by. Suddenly, a body flew out in front of her, wearing only a pair of boxers.

“каково значение этого? Я - капитан!” the person barked.

“Uh…” Alyssa stuttered, trying to figure out what happened.

The person turned around to see Alyssa staring straight back at him; the blood rushed to his cheeks, “I-I’m sorry.”

“Don’t worry,” Alyssa said, holding in a laugh.

“You can laugh, I don’t mind,” the person said laughing. “I’m Nikita.”

“Alyssa.”

The two stood in silence, not knowing what to say. Alyssa took in Nikita’s appearance; he wasn’t much taller than her, brown hair with matching brown eyes, fairly muscular. Nikita smirked as he saw Alyssa checking him out.

“Would you like to come in?” Nikita said, breaking the silence.

“I…uh…with you guys? Like with the Russian team?”

“Yah, of course,” Nikita said with a chuckle.

“Sure,” Alyssa said, hesitantly.

For the next two hours, Alyssa hung out with the Russian team; which was the total opposite of hanging out with the American team. Alyssa was rolling on the bed laughing, at Maxin Goncharov trying to impersonate John. Suddenly, her phone starting ringing, she frantically searched the bed for her phone.

“H-hello?”

“Where are you?” John growled.

“With some…friends.”

“Yah, some friends!” Evgeni Grachev yelled loud enough for John to hear. Alyssa glared at Evgeni, then signaled for the room to be quiet.

“Who was that?”

“Evgeni..” Alyssa said slowly, not wanting to make John angry.

“You’re with the Russians?”

“John, why does it matter?” Alyssa snapped back, “What am I supposed to do while you guys are all gone? Sit in the hotel room by myself?”

“Well…yah!” John retorted.

“You’re ridiculous,” Alyssa spat, hanging up on John.

John stared at his phone, clearly frustrated. Most of the team could see that, so they left him alone on the bus ride back to the hotel. P.K. on the other hand, knew John very well and he knew his best friend needed someone to talk to.

“Johnny boy, what’s up?” P.K. said, sitting next to John.

“She’s with the Russians.”

“So?”

“SO?!” John yelled, “How disloyal is that?!?”

“Not much,” P.K. said bluntly.

John glared daggers at his best friend.

“What is she supposed to do? Sit by herself? I know I would try to find some people to hang with.”

“You’re not helping.”

“I only speak the truth.”

Alyssa stared at her phone, she really shouldn’t have hung up on John, but he was being overdramatic and overprotective. She looked up to see the entire room staring at her.

“Are you going to tell us who that was?” Nikita asked.

“My…uh…friend,” Alyssa said, through clenched teeth.

“I find that hard to believe,” Nikita said with a chuckle.

Alyssa nervously ran her hands through her hair, “As much fun as I’m having here, I really need to go back to my room. It was nice meeting everyone.” Alyssa made a quick exit and was almost at the elevator when someone called her name.

“Alyssa! Wait!”

Alyssa turned around to see Nikita running towards her, she held the elevator. “Thanks!” Nikita said, catching his breath. “I thought I might be a gentleman and walk you to your room.”

Nikita’s smile almost made Alyssa melt, but she kept her composure. “How bout you just stay in the elevator, I don’t want my team taking out Russia’s best forward out of the tournament.”

Nikita chuckled nervously, “Seriously?”

“Did you see Stefan Delle Rovere during the US game? He means business.”

“Okay, I take your word.”

The elevator dinged, Alyssa turned to give Nikita a hug and he was waiting with open arms. They exchanged phone numbers and went their separate ways. Alyssa somberly went to her hotel room, only to find it empty. She fell back onto her bed, attempting to figure out how she was going to break up with John.

Things just weren’t mean to be.