Who Do You Think You Are?

chapter treize

“Nik,” Alyssa groaned as she was pulled into the hotel room. “I really can’t stay. My father will send me on a plane back to Vancouver.”

Nikita turned around and gave Alyssa a hard stare, “There’s no way I’m letting you back into the room with that…that –”

“He didn’t mean to! It was a harmless scrimmage, but I’m just too competitive!” Alyssa said, trying to defend John.

“You like him, don’t you?” Nikita said with a smirk.

Alyssa glared, “No. We’re not even friends.”

“Good, cause you’re staying the night.”

John tossed and turned in his bed, his dreams were keeping him awake. No matter what he dreamed about, it always seemed to come back to Alyssa. He couldn’t believe how stupid he had been to let her go, but it was what she wanted. After staring at the ceiling for what seemed like forever, John decided to go walk around the hotel. Wandering the floors seemed to calm John’s nerves, until he walked onto Russia’s floor and heard a familiar laugh.

“E-evgeni!” Alyssa giggled, as she scurried around the room trying to evade Evgeni’s grasp. The team started closing in on her, boxing her into a corner; she squeezed her way past them and ran into the bathroom, locking it in the process. She slid down the door, sighing.

“Uh…hi?” Nikita said.

Alyssa looked up to a shirtless Nikita, blushing immediately. “Hi,” she whispered.

Nikita laughed, “Who are you running from this time?”

Alyssa glared, standing up she walked towards Nikita; poking him in the chest, “Who says I’m running away from someone?”

“You ran away from your own team and most importantly, John.”

Alyssa muffled a cry, crashing into Nikita’s chest. “I just don’t know why I want.” She looked up into Nikita’s warm brown eyes and couldn’t help herself moving closer. Nikita smiled and closed the gap; the kiss was harmless at first, but things started to get heated. Nikita grabbed Alyssa and put her up on the counter, never breaking the kiss. Alyssa let out a small whimper when Nikita trailing butterfly kisses along her jaw leading to her neck.

BANG! BANG!

Alyssa instantly pulled away from Nikita, blushing like mad. Nikita, on the other hand, smirked and calmly went to go answer the door. After conversing in Russian, he came back. “It’s curfew time and I was wondering if you’d like to spend the night?” he asked, sheepishly.

“I-uh, sure?” Alyssa said, fumbling for her words.

Nikita beamed, grabbing her hand and pulling her out into the room. He grumbled something in Russian to Evgeni and he soon left. Alyssa fell back onto the bed, wondering what she was doing in a Russian room the night before Canada was scheduled to play. Nikita was soon at her side, placing delicate kisses on her neck, she snuggled into him.

“Look’s like you figured out what you wanted,” he said with a smirk.

Alyssa turned to face him, “It’s time to go to bed, you – we have a big game tomorrow.”

The morning came all too quickly, Alyssa groaned as the alarm on her cell phone went off. She opened her eyes to find herself in an unfamiliar bed, with an unfamiliar pair of arms around her waist. She had expected to come face-to-face with John, but instead it was Nikita.

“Morning,” he said groggily.

“I need to go,” Alyssa said quickly, jumping out of the bed and grabbing her cell phone. She was almost out the door when she felt someone tug her back.

“No goodbye kiss?”

Alyssa turned to face Nikita, she leaned forward but turned at the last second to place a kiss on Nikita’s cheek. “Last night, stays between us. If anyone finds out, I’m sicking Stefan Delle Rovere after you.”

The walk back to her actual hotel room seemed to take forever, she didn’t know what to expect when she returned home. She passed Ryan Ellis in the hall, he didn’t give her a second look, and then she realized it was his 18th birthday today. “RYAN!” she bellowed, jogging to catch up with him.

He turned around, with a small smile on his face. “Yah, Als?”

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY!” she said, jumping into his arms, giving him a huge hug.

“Thanks Als.”

“Anytime,” Alyssa said, pecking him on the cheek.

Alyssa kept her distance from the team, sitting at the front of the bus on the ride to the arena and discussing the game with her father and his assistant coaches. She also, was trying to keep her distance from the Russian team; especially Nikita. The game was about to start and Alyssa sneaked her way onto the Canadian bench once again, she liked to think that the organization didn’t mind.

The first period started off with a bang with a quick goal by Ben Sonne, but Russia was quick to even the playing field with a goal. Canada struck back again with a goal by Patrice Cormier. But the Russians weren’t giving up and less than a minute later; they had scored another goal. The period was soon over and the team looked down on the way back to the dressing room. Alyssa let her father do the talking, as she needed to see them play more to get a further understanding.

The second period was a little slower, but Canada was on the powerplay for most of it. Thankfully they were able to post another goal from Jordan Eberle, who got a beautiful pass from John Tavares. Alyssa’s heart lurched as she saw John happy for the first time since she had ‘broken up’ with him. The second period ended with the score 3-2 in favour of Canada.

The third period was probably the most exciting period in the whole entire tournament, Russia soon tied the game up, but Angelo Esposito scored an amazing short-handed goal that seemed to energize the entire Canadian bench. Unfortunately, the Russians weren’t planning on giving up. In fact, they were actually ahead 5-4, with less than a minute left in the period. Alyssa looked to her father with worried eyes, and he nodded to her.

“TOKARSKI!” she bellowed, waving him over to the bench.

Canada had six attackers out on the ice, a desperate attempt to put the game into overtime. Time was running down, but the play was kept in the Russian’s end. Thankfully, one of the Russian had attempted to clear the puck, putting it just wide of the net. Less than ten seconds left, the Russian bench was starting to cheer as they assumed they had won the game. John backhanded the puck on goal, hoping for a miracle. Then a Russian mishandled the puck, giving Jordan Eberle the room to weave around him and put the puck in the back of the net.

The whole Canadian bench erupted into cheers! THE GAME WASN”T OVER! Overtime didn’t solve anything, so the game was going to a shoot-out. Jordan Eberle was the first shooter for Canada, a perfect goal flipped over the Russian goalie. The Russian shooter, thankfully, hit the post; which could give Canada the chance to go up 2-0. Which they did, John did almost the same move as Jordan, only his shot was on the forehand.

Alyssa started to get nervous, as she knew Nikita would be Russia’s second shooter, but when she didn’t see him go out, her heart dropped. She knew that Nikita must be killing himself inside, not shooting second. Alyssa didn’t even watch Russia’s shot, she missed Canada’s celebration, her gaze was only on Nikita, who was slumped on the ice, his head in his hands. She resisted the urge to go out on the ice and comfort him, instead she caught his gaze and smiled.

Jordan Eberle was the player of the game, scoring 3 crucial goals for Canada, especially the one that came with 5.4 seconds left in the game. The team wouldn’t stop cheering, not on the way back to the dressing room and especially not on the way back to the hotel. Alyssa was sitting quietly in her seat when Zack came and sat beside her.

“You know…you could smile, we’re going to the finals!” he said enthusiastically.

Alyssa turned to face Zack with sad eyes, “I’m trying, really. But I can’t stop thinking about the look on Nikita’s face.”

“That’s where you were last night, with him?”

Alyssa nodded; she really didn’t want to talk about last night.

“I think John knew where you were, he went walking and I saw him go to Russia’s floor. Then he came back and had this sad look on his face.”

“You have to be kidding me,” Alyssa said with a gasp.

“I’m not. No matter what you do Als, he’s going to love you.”

Zack’s words shocked Alyssa, she had never had someone love her no matter what her flaws were (except her family). Alyssa’s mind started working in over-drive, trying to figure out what she was going to do with Tavares. She was in her own world that she didn’t hear Zack whisper, “Just love him back.”