Who Do You Think You Are?

chapter quatorze

Alyssa woke up the next morning, feeling slightly refreshed from a good night’s rest. But there was this heavy feeling on her chest, she opened her eyes only to come face to face with Zack.

“WHAT THE –”

Zack quickly put a hand over Alyssa’s mouth, “Be quiet!” he whispered. “Come with me.”

Alyssa nodded and followed Zack out of the hotel room and into the hallway. Zack kept walking down the hallway until he stopped in front of the room that held the pop and ice machines. Alyssa was too busy daydreaming and she continued walking, until she was pulled into the room.

“You have some explaining to do,” Alyssa said, with her hands on her hips.

“I can’t stand you and John.”

“I-uh, we aren’t together so shouldn’t you be happy?”

Zack shook his head, “No, I can’t stand you two being apart. You’re both miserable and don’t even think about denying it. I know you only went to the Russians because you wanted to try and forget about John.”

Alyssa stood her ground, “How do you know that, huh? What if I just wanted to get away from the Canadian team?!”

Zack’s face dropped as he pushed past Alyssa, he had tried everything to make her happy, but she had crossed the line.

“No! Zack, wait!” Alyssa said, running after Zack. She finally caught up with him in front of the door. “I didn’t mean it,” she paused as Zack tried to open the door. “Let me finish. I don’t know how I feel about John; it’s every emotion at once.”

“Can you just tell him that? Please? He’s tearing himself up every time you’re with another guy,” Zack said with pleading eyes.

“I-uh, I’m not that great with words.”

“Actions speak louder than words.”

“Never know you were a poet,” Alyssa said with a smirk.

Zack cracked a smile, “How bout you stay back from practice, try and gather your thoughts. Then when we, as in John, PK, John and I come back from our interview; you talk to John.”

“I’m pretty sure he won’t want to talk to me…”

“I’ll get you into his room, just plan your speech.”

Alyssa nodded and walked into the hotel room, it was empty as Jordan had already left for practice. She opened the curtains, letting the sunlight illuminate the hotel room, making a nest out of the sheets on the bed, Alyssa got comfortable. She stuffed her headphones into her ears; letting The Maine soothe her. Looking at her watch, she saw she had a little over 3 hours to prepare herself for battle.

Dear John
John

Boy.
Zack has some how persuaded me to try and “collect” my thoughts on you. And well that’s really hard for me, as I’ve never felt this way about a person before. When I met you last summer, my first reaction was this boy is trouble. You came off so cocky and egotistical, I wanted nothing to do with you, but then I realized you have to be a little cocky to survive the hockey world. Then fate would come into play on several occasions; we both were attending the World Juniors, you as a player and myself, well I’m not too sure what my role is. Somehow, my father thought it would be good if we were put in a room together. I was furious because I didn’t want to be associated with you because you were the face of the Canadian team; I didn’t want another association like with my father. Honestly, the first time I saw you; you were half naked and I couldn’t stop drooling. I attempted to cover it up by saying you weren’t the next Sidney Crosby, but I was wrong. You’re going to be better than Sidney Crosby. But back to my “feelings,” the first time we kissed, it was like fire and I wanted more. I feel every emotion when I’m with you. Hunger, desire, happiness, frustration, joy, fear, love, remorse, longing, and the list could go on and on.
So basically; we’re a cliché story.
Girl and boy hate each other. Girl and boy get stuck together for blank reason.
Girl and boy fall in love.
That’s what I fell.
I love you, boy.
Plain and simple, I just neglected it because I’m afraid of what will come from it, because we can’t deny that we live on opposite sides of the country. But somehow, I know we can work it out.


Alyssa fell back onto her bed, exhausted; her hand was cramping and her ears were ringing. She looked over to the alarm clock, waiting a few seconds for her eyes to adjust to see that she had been writing for almost 3 hours. Alyssa quickly scrambled to her feet, adjusting her clothing and ran to the door, only to have it swing in her face.

“Hey Als,” Zack said with a huge smile. Alyssa was about to reply, but Zack pulled her out into the hallway where Cody was standing outside his room. “Cody has graciously let you into his room, I asked PK to stall John; so you only have a few minutes to get ready.” Zack paused, taking in Alyssa’s appearance. “You’re not wearing that, are you?”

Alyssa frowned and looked down at her Team Canada sweatpants and t-shirt. “What am I supposed to wear? Something revealing that will make John jump me then and there.”

Zack hesitated, “Well yah…” He was silenced by Alyssa punching him, “Too bad, John better love me no matter what I’m wearing.”

“You’ll have no problem with that,” Cody mumbled, from behind.

Then Zack’s face dropped, as he heard the elevator ding, quickly he pushed Alyssa into John’s room and closed the door. He turned to Cody, “That was close.”

Cody’s nodded, “Too close.”

The elevator opened to reveal John and PK, who was attempting to keep John in the elevator. “But John! We haven’t gone to the top floors yet!” PK whined.

“I. Don’t. Care.” John grunted, as he tried to exit the elevator, he ended up on the floor with PK on top. He quickly pushed PK off and started walking to his room, he heard footsteps following him.

“No! John! You can’t go in –” PK said, but stopped when he saw Zack and Cody talking outside the room that he and John shared. That was a good sign, meaning Alyssa was in John’s room.

John stopped in front of his room, “What are you two doing?”

“I-uh, nothing!” Zack squeaked.

“Liar,” John growled.

Cody stepped in, “Don’t worry about him; just go relax in your room. I’ll be in later.”

John nodded and opened the door, hoping to relax. The door behind him was slammed shut as he heard snickers from outside. The lights were off, John was too lazy to turn them off; all he wanted to do was sleep. Slowly, his eyes started to adjust; making out a silhouette sitting on his bed.

“Als?” John asked, surprised but angry at the same time.

Alyssa sat on John’s bed; her speech that had taken almost 3 hours to write was out the window. It was now or never. She had to spill her guts.