Who Do You Think You Are?

chapter deux

Alyssa stood in front of the room she was sharing with John for a good 5 minutes, trying to comprehend what just happened. She wasn’t intentionally trying to be a bitch, but John was pushing her buttons in all the wrong ways. Finally, Zack walked by and gave her a little nudge.

“Come on Al, John’s just overreacting. He’s just annoyed because he got shown up by a girl,” he said, trying to reassure Alyssa.

Alyssa sighed, “I hope so.”

Zack laughed, “Don’t be getting soft on me now! I’ll make you a deal, if you ever feel like you’re going to rip John’s head off, come to my room. It’s next door; I’m sharing with Cody and Jordan.”

Alyssa smiled and then walked into her temporary home. It was surprisingly clean; John kept most of his stuff to his side of the room. Alyssa decided to keep her stuff in her suitcase, seeing as they would be leaving early the next morning for some ‘team bonding experiences.’ She turned on the TV and immediately changed the channel to TSN, hoping that SportsCentre would be on. It was and it was constantly playing the feature on the World Juniors. Alyssa soon fell into a deep slumber, not hearing John re-enter the room.

Suddenly, Alyssa was jolted awake by the sound of an air horn, placed right next to her head. She growled at looked at clock only to see that it was just after midnight. She looked around to see the culprit, but no one was in the room, but then again, Alyssa was half asleep and couldn’t see John who was hiding at the end of his bed.

The next morning, Alyssa woke up before the required 7 AM and decided to play a little prank on John, seeing as he was the only person that could get into their room; therefore he was the person who woke her up. She walked into the bathroom, hoping that John had brought some shaving cream. Not that he needs it, Alyssa thought to herself, He’s hardly pasted puberty. Alyssa laughed softly at her own joke. Thankfully, she found some shaving cream and a feather and walked quietly over to John’s bed. She pried one arm away from his body and filled his hand full of shaving cream. Alyssa picked up the feather and started tickling John’s nose, within a few sweeps, John was twitching. Then, wham!

“What the –”

John looked up to see Alyssa sprinting out of the room, he growled as he realized what was all over his face. But then, he smiled. The girl can hold her own, he thought to himself.

Alyssa was pounding on Zack’s door, hoping that any of the 3 boys were up. After a couple of minutes of non-stop pounding on the door, Alyssa slide down the door, sitting upright. Suddenly, the door flung open and Alyssa fell back onto Zack’s feet.

“Morning,” Alyssa said, with a big smile.

Zack groaned, “What did you do? We heard John yell from our room.”

Alyssa gave a sly smile, “I might have pulled the old shaving cream in the hand trick.”

Zack laughed, “I think you should go back and change. We’re leaving in like half an hour.”

Alyssa gave Zack a funny look, and then looked down at her pajamas, a pair of short shorts and a ratty old t-shirt. She blushed and brushed herself off and turned to leave, but not before hearing someone yell ‘nice legs, Al!’ Alyssa blushed again and ran to her room, hoping no one else would see her. John was already changed and was watching TSN.

“Nice choice.”

John shifted his gaze from the TV to Alyssa, “Nice pajamas.”

Alyssa huffed, “I was trying to be nice, but no. You had to go and ruin it.”

John laughed, “I’ll make it up to you, you can have the bathroom.”

Alyssa grabbed a handful of clothes and changed into a pair of dark wash skinny jeans and her Canada World Juniors sweater. She ran a brush quickly through her hair and washed her face.

After a quick breakfast, the team loaded onto the bus and were on their way to CFB Petawawa. Alyssa took this as an opportunity to catch on the sleep she lost the night before. She trusted Evander to wake her if anyone was planning any more pranks on her. She stuffed her Ipod headphones into her ears and let Mayday Parade lull her to sleep.

A few short hours, they were at the Base and the boys were buzzing with excitement. Alyssa opted to not take part in the activity, but instead decided to take pictures. Photography was a passion of hers, after hockey of course. The team changed into their army uniform, complete with helmets. Their bonding activity was they were going to jump out of a building that was a good 60 feet in the air. It was to mimic the experience of parachuting.

Alyssa was having a blast, capturing everyone’s reactions as they jumped; Evander’s hesitation, PK’s enthusiasm as he let out a huge holler and then it came to John. Alyssa zoomed in on his face and she thought she saw some nervousness, but it was soon gone.

“Hey Alyssa!” John yelled, “Make sure you get my good side.”

Alyssa growled and then yelled back, “Yah, that’s your backside!”

The team erupted into laughter as John turned bright red and then jumped out of the building. Alyssa continued to snap pictures as the day went on; she even got to meet James Cybulski from TSN, who was one of her favourite reporters. With that day’s activity done, the team filed onto the bus to drive to the hotel they would be staying at for the next 2 days. Alyssa crashed onto her bed, she was too cold to move and too cold to bicker with John who was channel flicking.

“Johnnnnn,” Alyssa groaned. “Stop ittttt.”

John laughed, “No way, if you’re bored. Why don’t you type away on your laptop like always?”

Alyssa glared at John and then reached over to her backpack and pulled out her laptop. She went through all the player’s files, making sure they were correct and then she landed on John’s. She decided to make a small correction.

John Tavares – good hockey sense
– good puck handling
– goal scorer
attitude towards women

She was happy with the work she had done and decided that later that night she would e-mail it to her father, to allow him to go over it with his coaching staff. Her next job would probably be to research their opponents and their key players. John was less than entertaining, so Alyssa closed her laptop and decided not to put it away and went over to Zack’s room.

“Hey Zacky!” Alyssa said, as she walked into the room he shared with Cody and Jordan. “Whatcha all doing?”

Cody and Jordan’s focus was on the TV as they were playing some video game. “Game,” was all Cody said.

Alyssa laughed, “I’m so glad I left my room for some conversation.”

Zack pouted, “And what am I, chop liver?”

“No Zacky, you’re my best friend in the whole wide world,” Alyssa said, giving Zack a hug.

Cody ended up losing the game and switched spots with Zack; he gave Alyssa a questioning look.

“Why do you hate John so much?” he finally asked.

Alyssa was taken back by the bluntness of the question, “I…uh…I don’t necessary hate him. I just dislike him a lot.”

Cody laughed, “And that’s the same response I got from John.”

Alyssa scrunched her face up in disgust, “Does he not remember me from the summer?”

Cody shook his head, “I don’t think so, he was really nervous at the camp. I think you made him nervous with the laptop and taking notes.”

Alyssa’s face dropped, “I left my laptop in my room…”

“Why does that matter?” Cody said, confused.

“I left my laptop in my room, with Tavares,” Alyssa said, before sprinting out of the room and into her own. She found John on her bed, going through her laptop, clearly unaware that Alyssa was back in the room.

“Tavares,” Alyssa growled. “What do you think you’re doing?”

John looked up, guilt and anger flashed in his eyes, “You think I have an attitude towards women?”

Alyssa laughed, “Uh…yah. You have a really bad attitude towards me, you’re lucky I haven’t sent this to my father.”

“I don’t have an attitude towards women, I love women and they love me.”

“Well, I guess I’m the exception,” Alyssa snapped.

John smirked, “I think you’re jealous of me, of my fame.”

Alyssa growled, she was about to snap back at John, but there was knock at the door. Alyssa glared at John and went to the door to see her father.

“Hi dad.”

“Hey Aly, we’re having a team dinner down in the dining hall. Dress nice. Tell John,” Pat said with a smile.

Alyssa faked a smile and closed the door, then walked back to her bed; she put a password on her computer preventing anyone from accessing her information. John had gone back to watching TV.

“Team dinner in an hour,” Alyssa grunted. “I call the bathroom.”

John didn’t answer, instead just nodded.

So this is how it’s going to be, Alyssa thought to herself.