Who Do You Think You Are?

chapter cinq

Alyssa skipped her way back to her room; she had spent the last half hour talking to Zack about what had transpired that day. He was surprisingly…helpful. Alyssa decided that she was going to tell John how she felt, she just wasn’t really sure how. She peeked into the room, to see that John was crouched in front of his suitcase. Alyssa sneaked up behind him, covering his eyes with her hands.

“Guess who?” Alyssa whispered, before giggling. John was tense beneath her hands, which made her nervous.

“I don’t know,” John said coldly. “Maybe it’s the whore I share my room with.”

Alyssa instantly felt the tears coming as she dropped her hands and stepped away from John. A shocked look found its way onto her face; nobody had ever called her a whore.

“John…” Alyssa started to say.

“I don’t want to hear it,” John snapped. “Why don’t you whine to Stamkos about it?”

Alyssa felt the colour drain from her face; she hadn’t talked to Steve since this time last year. “What does Steve have to do with any of this?”

John just pointed at her computer and then walked out of the room. Alyssa rushed to her laptop, opening up the MSN box. She must have read the message a hundred times and each time it hurt even more. Steve Stamkos continued to ruin her life even if he was a thousand miles away. John didn’t return to the room that night, Alyssa wasn’t sure where he was staying, but that wasn’t troubling her at the moment. She drifted off to sleep, or rather a nightmare.

Alyssa accompanied her father to the World Juniors in the Czech Republic, although he wasn’t coaching, he wanted to watch Canada go for its 4th gold medal. With her father being so influential, Alyssa had access to the dressing room; meeting all of the players, one stood out to her; Steve Stamkos.

Brilliant blonde with electrifying blue eyes made for a dangerous combination. Steve was a smooth talker and Alyssa was soon under his spell. Alyssa was a naïve 17 year old, who wanted nothing in the world than to be noticed and Steve gave that to her.

As the tournament progressed, so did Alyssa and Steve’s relationship, gone were the stolen glances and were soon replaced with intermission make-out sessions. Alyssa was in a fast pace relationship that was going too fast. Steve was experienced and Alyssa was the rookie.

It was the night before the final and the team was already supposed to be in bed. Steve wasn’t. Close to midnight, Steve sunk into Alyssa’s room. She was happy to see him, but nervous of what his intentions were.

“What are you doing here Steve?” Alyssa asked quietly.

“You know why I’m here,” Steve said seductively, before pinning Alyssa beneath him.

“Steve,” Alyssa said hesitantly. “I don’t think this is a good –”

“It will make me play better tomorrow and you want Canada to win gold, right?”

Alyssa didn’t want to make Canada lose and gave into Steve. It was Alyssa’s first time and it was nothing like she had imagined it to be. It was everything she didn’t want it to be. The next day, Canada won gold and she never heard from Steve again. It left her heartbroken and she vowed to never watch or have anything to do with hockey again. But then Evander Kane came along and changed her mind; he was the only person that knew about what had happened.


Alyssa woke up in a cold sweat, the alarm clock buzzing in her ear. She turned to see if John had come back, but his bed was empty. Alyssa could feel the tears coming again, but fought them back, she planned to be the bigger person and not let this get to her. She reluctantly got out of bed and put on her game day clothes; black dress pants with a white blouse with the Canadian insignia.

The person that stared Alyssa back in the face was not the person that Alyssa was used to. This girl had dark circles under her eyes, her skin looked blotchy and hair in tangles. No this, is what Alyssa looked like when she felt completely alone.

John groaned, the hotel floor wasn’t as comfortable as it seemed. And it didn’t help that Thomas Hickey had kicked him to wake him up this morning, added with Stefan Delle Rovere’s snoring, Patrice Cormier’s sleeptalking and Jamie Benn’s constant bathroom breaks.

“Tom, just let me sleep, please,” John pleaded.

“No way man, if you wanted to sleep you should have stayed in your own room,” Tom said with a smirk.

John glared at Tom, “You know I can’t go back.”

“Oh, I know.”

John was confused, “What are you talking about?”

“I’m best friends with Steve; do you not think I talk to him?”

John lunged at Tom, but Stefan was quick to hold him back. Tom just laughed in his face, “Alyssa’s not worth. Steve said that she wasn’t even that great.”

John started shouting obscenities, he wanted to tear Tom’s head off, but Stefan had a tight grip on him. He shook Stefan off and stormed out of the room, only to stumble into Evander.

“Watch where you’re going,” John snapped.

“Take your own advice,” Evander snapped back.

John was shocked to hear Evander stand up for himself, “I…I’m sorry. I’ve just had a rough night.”

“Yah, so did Alyssa.”

John’s eyes grew wide, and then he sprinted to his room. Only to find the room was empty. “Damn,” he muttered to himself. He rushed to get his gear together and to get on the bus on time. The team was going to the arena for a quick practice and then they were driving down to Hamilton to play Slovakia. The practice was soon over, the team headed to the lunch room to have a good, hearty meal before they headed out.

Alyssa bee-lined it for a table in the back corner, she wanted to be alone. She didn’t want to bring down the boys’ energetic atmosphere. A couple of the players made motions to sit with Alyssa, but she sent cold stares in their directions. She pulled out her laptop, attempting to make herself look busy. Then, a MSN box popped up.

SeenStamkos? says: Hey Als. Heard you had a little argument with your lover boy. Hope I wasn’t the reason.

Alyssa’s blood boiled, her fingers denied her and typed a response.

- alyssa* says: You’re lucky that you live a thousand miles away. Other wise, your hockey career would be over.
SeenStamkos? says: Oh, feisty are we? I would have enjoyed that a year ago.
- alyssa* says: You took something away that night that wasn’t rightfully yours. And I hate you for that.

Alyssa slammed her laptop shut, gaining the attention of the people around her. She shot them cold stares and packed up her stuff to leave. She walked past Thomas Hickey’s table, when she heard him mutter something. Alyssa spun on her heel.

“What did you say?” Alyssa growled.

Tom smirked, “I said, Steve was right to throw you away.”

Alyssa’s face dropped, Tom had told Steve about her and John. She couldn’t believe it; Tom seemed like such a nice guy. So much for first impressions, she thought to herself. Alyssa holed herself up in her dad’s temporary office, until the team was told to load the bus. She walked onto the bus, searching for an empty seat; she spotted one, right next to John.

John did a double take as Alyssa sat next to him, to see if this was actually happening. The bus left the arena, setting out for Hamilton. The ride was quiet; neither of the two knew what to say to patch things up. Then, a snow storm hit.

“You have to be kidding me!?” Alyssa muttered.

“What, am I really that bad?” John joked.

Alyssa glared at John, “Yes. No. Maybe?”

John laughed, “You know it was Tom that told Steve about us, right?”

Alyssa turned in her seat to see Tom chatting away with a couple of the boys, “Yes,” she grunted.

“Just to let you know, I don’t care.”

“I find that hard to believe.”

John ran a hand through his hair, Alyssa wasn’t making this easy. “I’m trying to make things better between us, Als. But you’re not helping.”

“Well, maybe I don’t want there to be anything between us!” Alyssa shrieked.

John stayed silent, respecting Alyssa’s wishes. Alyssa was taken back, John went quiet immediately, and he was clearly hurt. The bus arrived shortly at the arena; the team was late and was pushing for time. The game started and Canada was up 1 nothing after the first period. After the second, it was 3 – 0. The third period started off with a bang, as Stefan Della Rovere stepped into Juraj Valach. Then John did the unthinkable.

Canada was on the powerplay, with John sitting just left of the goalie’s short side. Cody set the puck in, bouncing off the goalie’s back. John was there to bat it not one, not two, but three times straight into the back of the net. He was flattened right after, but he was quick to get up and celebrate. When he was back on the bench, he turned to catch Alyssa’s eye.

Alyssa saw John trying to get her attention, she attempted to look away, but he was moving down the bench. She turned, giving him a nod.

John pointed at the goal and then pointed straight at Alyssa, then mouthing ‘that was for you.’