Who Do You Think You Are?

chapter sept

Alyssa ignored John the whole bus ride back to the hotel; he kept turning around in his seat trying to catch her gaze. She pulled out her phone, attempting to look busy. Thankfully it worked for the whole ride, only she needed a different plan when they got to the room. Alyssa was exhausted and decided that she wasn’t going to hang out; John on other hand went out, as he was the Player of the Game.

The room was freezing and Alyssa couldn’t find the thermostat, rather she had no idea how to work the thermostat. So instead, she grabbed her World Junior red sweater, or what she thought was hers.

The next morning, John was up unusually early, rushing around the room obviously searching for something. He was tearing the room up, going through his suitcase numerous times and the laundry bin. Alyssa was trying to sleep in, but John was making too much noise.

“John!” Alyssa groaned, “What are you doing?!”

John turned around, clearly frustrated, “I can’t find my red sweater anywhere!”

Alyssa looked at her suitcase, to see her red sweater poking out, she looked back at John sheepishly, “I haven’t seen it anywhere.”

“Oh really?” John said, walking towards Alyssa’s bed.

“N-NO! Stay AWAY Tavares!” Alyssa shrieked.

John proceeded to chase Alyssa around the small hotel room for the next 10 minutes. “Come on Alyssa! I need to beat PK!” John said, trying to catch his breath.

Alyssa giggled, “There’s no way I’m giving this back! It smells too good.”

John raised an eyebrow, making Alyssa roll her eyes. “What if I gave something in return?” John said, closing in on Alyssa.

Alyssa felt the air catch in her throat, she could feel the heat radiating off John and…she liked it. “And what would that be?”

“This,” John said, before capturing Alyssa’s lips with his. The kiss started off innocent, and then it turned aggressive; their tongues battling for dominance. John’s sweater was soon discarded and Alyssa’s skin prickled with goosebumps, sending a chill down her spine. She then froze, having a flashback of the year before; this reminded her too much of Steve. She pulled away, making John pout, “What’s wrong?”

Alyssa picked up the discarded sweater, “You don’t want to be late for you interview.”

John opened and closed his mouth like a guppy fish, not knowing what to say. Alyssa sighed, pushing John out of the room. She collapsed onto her bed and started to cry. She had been crying for so long that she didn’t realize she had stopped and now she resorted to staring at the ceiling. Then, her phone vibrated.

Hey! Heard you guys won against Czech, that’s good! I also heard that you’re sorta with Tavares. – Ty

Alyssa growled, this is one thing she hated when she was the only female teenager at these kinds of tournaments; she was always the centre of all the rumours. She quickly texted back:

I’d like to know who you heard this from, so I can punch their face in. – Al

You officially scared me, good thing you’re not a hockey player.

I do play hockey.

YIKES! I wouldn’t want to be on the receiving end of your checks.

Damn right you wouldn’t.

Hahaha, alright. I have to get to practice. ttyl – Ty


Alyssa snapped her phone shut, Tyler seemed like a good guy; now every guy she met reminded her some how of Steve and it irritated her. She sat up; she needed to go for a walk. Alyssa grabbed her red sweater and starter to wander across the hotel; she had a habit of wandering away as a child. She stumbled across a room that had its door wide open; she peered in to see John and PK sitting next to each, doing an interview.

John was attempting to intimate her father when he told PK to never do the ‘spin-o-rama’ ever again, Alyssa was rolling on the floor laughing till her sides hurt. This made John and PK laugh even more. James Cybulski was conducting the interview, so he invited Alyssa to sit in. The interview took close to an hour and then PK, John and Alyssa were walking out together.

“So you neither of you guys have your licenses?”

“No,” John and PK said at the same time, somberly.

“Suckers!” Alyssa teased, which prompted the two boys to chase after her. They ran around the hotel for a good hour, taking elevators to different floors and hiding in the stairwells. Soon PK caught up to Alyssa and had her in his grasps.

Alyssa wriggled trying to get out of his grasp, but failed. “Curse you and your monkey hands!” Alyssa squealed.

PK faked a hurt look, “I don’t have monkey hands!”

“Hate to break it to you, but you do,” John said, throwing Alyssa over his shoulder.

“John. I. Really. Hate. You. Right. Now.” Alyssa said, as she hit John repeatedly in the back.

“I know,” John said smugly.

“If you put me down, I’ll give you some advice on your playing,” Alyssa said, innocently.

John put Alyssa down, who then tried to escape again, but John was too fast, “No way, you’re not getting away again.”

Alyssa pouted, “Then no advice for you.”

John loosened his grip, “Better?”

“It will do,” Alyssa said. “Now come here,” motioning to come closer, “Score on even strength.” Then she proceeded to give him a wet willy and sprinted to the hotel room. John attempted to dry his ear and he was soon sprinting after Alyssa. She giggled as she shut the door right in John’s face.

“Alyssa!” John said, as he banged on the door. “Open up! We have practice to get to!”

Alyssa giggled, “Nope.”

John continued to bang on the door, slowing as time went on, so it sounded like, Bang. “Alyssa.” Bang. “Alyssa.” Bang. “Alyssa.” John then gave up, and resorted to leaning against the door, hoping that Alyssa would give him some slack.

Alyssa pressed her ear against the door, wondering why it suddenly went silent. She opened the door slightly, only to have John fall on top of her. “John,” Alyssa groaned. “You and all your fatness is crushing me.”

John pouted, “I’m not fat. It’s all muscle!” He rolled off Alyssa to lie beside her; he took her hand in his, their hands laced together perfectly. Alyssa blinked away the tears and pulled her hand away, “We need to get to practice.” As Alyssa walked away, John stayed on the floor; she was playing him hot and cold, he didn’t know whether to give up or go for the chase.

Canada played Kazakhstan the next night, a 15 – 0 thumping. Alyssa felt bad for the Kazakhstan team; they had no chance against Canada and she could see the disappointment and anger in their eyes. She slipped down to the dressing room, during the first intermission to talk to the boys.

Her father called her over right away, “So Als, what do you think?”

Alyssa turned to face the team, “You’re being too cute.”

The team started grumbling and arguing with her, I guess boys don’t like being called cute.

Alyssa whistled, “Shut up.” The dressing room went quiet, “Thank you. Now as I was saying you’re being too cute with your passes. Make them clean and crisp, drive hard to the net. Also, try not to celebrate your goals as you normally would. Don’t stop altogether, but don’t rub it in their faces.” The team nodded and headed out for the second period.

Canada scored 5 more goals in the second period, with Jamie Benn getting a hat-trick. Alyssa, once again, headed down to the dressing room. She was met with smiling faces and quiet voices. “Good period guys,” Alyssa said eagerly. “I don’t really have to say, you did what I wanted to you do.” The team started talking amongst themselves, so Alyssa sneaked over to John’s stall.

“Hey,” she said quietly.

John looked up, surprised, “H-hey.”

“I know you’re great on the power-play, but if you want to be drafted Number 1, you need to score an even strength goal. Okay?”

“Y-yah,” John said, hesitantly. “Why are you helping me out?”

Alyssa chuckled, “It’s my job.” She walked back to the door, before whispering, “And because I care about you.” The third period started soon after; Canada started off strong with Evander scoring a goal within the first minute. Alyssa was jumping out of her seat, cheering as loud as she could; she reached over the glass when Evander came to the bench to give him a high five. Alyssa looked back to the game and saw John behind the net, he was lying on top of the puck, and he was quick to get up. Then he flicked the puck over the goalie.

Alyssa smiled; once again, John actually listened to her. John skated over to the bench, walking up the glass, motioning for Alyssa to come to him.

“How was that?” John asked, with a smile tugging at his lips.

“Better.”