Who Do You Think You Are?

chapter neuf

Alyssa rolled over, only to hit something or rather someone. She groggily opened her eyes to come face-to-face with John, who looked rather content; a small smile on his lips. Alyssa longed to kiss those lips, but she resisted the urge; she didn’t want to leave heartbroken like the year before.

“You should go back to sleep, you looked prettier.”

Alyssa snapped her head back to face John, who was now away, “Do I not look pretty now?”

“No, but you get this look on your face when you’re thinking really hard.”

Alyssa made the face again.

“That’s the face!” John said laughing, he then nuzzled his head into Alyssa’s neck, “I don’t want to get up.”

“W-we have t-to,” Alyssa stuttered, she couldn’t think straight with John this close.

John released his grip, but then pulled Alyssa back, “If you don’t want this, than just say so. I-I don’t want to be heart–”

Alyssa stared straight into John’s eyes, “At this moment, I don’t know what I want.”

John nodded and slipped out of the bed, “I have practice to get to.”

“Yah, I know. I’m coming too.”

“No, I’m trying out the new NHL 09 on the Xbox.”

Alyssa started laughing, rolling on the bed, “That’s hilarious!”

John growled and slammed the door as he walked into the bathroom. Alyssa got ready to go to practice, she was strictly going to watch videos on the US, she was trying to figure out a plan to sneak onto Canada’s bench, but every plan ended up with her getting thrown out by security.

Practice soon started, the focus being on fore-checking and causing turn-overs; as Alyssa had determined the US were known to cause turn-overs and be weak on the fore-check. Suddenly, there was a yelp from the dressing room. Alyssa dropped her laptop and sprinted to the room, to find Zack in the hot-tub clearly startled by the dog.

Wait, dog?!?

“Oh, boys,” Pat said. “I forgot to tell you that the Prime Minister and his son are coming for a visit today. His son is a big fan.”

Zack relaxed back into the hot-tub, “That scared the crap out of me!”

Alyssa giggled, which earned a glare from Zack, “That’s not funny!”

The practice was soon over; the team had taken a picture with the Prime Minister and son, giving them both jerseys. The team piled back onto the bus and headed back to the hotel; John was busy reading the manual to the video game. Alyssa snuck up behind him, sitting in Zack’s lap who let out a yelp and turned beet red.

Alyssa mouthed ‘I’m sorry,’ and turned back to John, she reached over the seat and snatched the manual right out of his hands. Giggling, she ran quickly back to her seat, sitting on the manual. John sat frozen in his seat, trying to comprehend what had just happened. He turned to face Zack, who was still beet red, “What just happened?”

“I-I have no idea,” Zack stammered. “But Alyssa turn knows how to make someone blush.”

“Alyssa, should have known,” John growled. He looked to the back of the bus, searching for Alyssa, and then he saw a hand in his peripheral. Evander was waving at him discretely, pointing at the seat next to him, but on the ground. John nodded and put a finger to his lips; telling Evander to stay quiet. John slowly, made his way to the back of the bus. There, he found Alyssa on the floor, clutching the manual.

“Didn’t your parents ever to tell you not to take things that weren’t yours?” John asked, teasingly.

Alyssa couldn’t respond, she was laughing so hard, tears rolling down her cheeks. John started laughing too, as he reached down to snatch his manual back, he easily got it back. The team soon arrived back at the hotel; most of the boys went to their rooms to relax, while John went to his interview. Alyssa headed to Zack’s room, hoping that Tom wasn’t there.

“Hey guys,” Alyssa said, falling back onto someone’s bed.

“HEY!” Zack yelled, jokingly, “That’s my bed.”

“Too bad, I’m too tired to move,” Alyssa sighed.

“Well, good. ‘Cause I’m too tired to fight you for it.”

John was soon back from his interview, he looked disappointed, he found his room empty and then headed to Zack’s room. He found Zack and Alyssa lying on the bed together; jealousy raged through him. He looked to see Cody, Jordan and Ryan Ellis playing the Xbox.

“Hey John,” Alyssa said groggily, patting the space next to her, “How’d the game go?”

John laid on the bed, resting his head on Alyssa’s stomach, “Eh, it’s okay. I’m better at the older version. But I picked your favourite player as my centre.”

“Good, don’t tell PK that. He’ll freak,” Alyssa giggled, running her hands through John’s hair.

The four other boys in the room, sat and stared at John and Alyssa, completely flabbergasted. “Is…is anything going on between you two?” Ryan finally asked.

Alyssa and John were separated in an instant, both yelling “NO!” They both glared at each other, their relationship, or friendship would be called bipolar.

“Woah, calm down. I was just asking,” Ryan said, holding in hands up defensively.

Alyssa looked at her watch, “Let’s go boys, time for bed.” The boys started whining, but Alyssa soon silenced them with a cold stare.

“You know,” John said, as they were back in their hotel room. “We can share the bed again.”

“John…”

“Why are you trying to fight it, Als? That’s what I don’t understand,” John said, blatantly.

Alyssa sighed and then gave in; she shared John’s bed with him for the second night. A good night’s sleep was then interrupted by John trailing kisses along Alyssa’s jaw; she snapped her eyes open, pushing John away.

“WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU’RE DOING?!?!” Alyssa bellowed.

John was wide-eyed, “Y-you muttered ‘kiss me,’ I thought you were awake!”

Alyssa growled, “You’re lucky Canada needs you to win against the US, otherwise you’d be dead right now.”

The team was once again at the arena, they had the ice first, so Alyssa sneaked away to wander the arena…again. She wandered around, hoping the team wouldn’t find her missing; she stumbled across a team playing soccer. Déjà vu, all over again, Alyssa froze as she stood in front of Team USA. She quickly spun on her heel, to get away as fast as she could.

“Alyssa!” someone yelled.

Alyssa turned around to see Tyler calling her back over. “Tyler…” Alyssa started to say, “I really shouldn’t be here right now. My father would kill me if he knew where I was.”

“Don’t worry, I just wanted a hug for good luck,” Tyler said confidently.

Alyssa eyed Tyler up, “You’re going to need that.” Which prompted the whole team to turn and stare at Alyssa.

“Ty, who’s that?” one boy asked.

Tyler walked over to Alyssa, slinging an arm around her shoulder, “No worries boys, she’s with me.”

Alyssa shrugged Tyler’s arm off, “I really have to be going.” The tension in the air was sickening, Alyssa wanted to get out. Now.

“Wait, where’s my hug?” Tyler asked sweetly. Alyssa wrapped her arms around Tyler’s neck, feeling all of Team USA’s eyes on her. She released her arms, but Tyler’s arms stayed. “One more thing,” he muttered, before capturing Alyssa’s lips with his. Alyssa resisted, but Tyler held her in place. She pushed against his chest, until he let her go.

Alyssa stood shocked, while Tyler smiled proudly. “I think you better go back, you’re bodyguard is here.”

Alyssa turned around to see John, standing in full uniform, just as shocked as she was.

“John...” she said, walking towards him.

John held his hands up, shook his head and turned around to leave, not before muttering “Whore.”