Born for This

Chapter Two: Let This Go

Chapter Two: Let This Go

xXShayne’s POVXx


I hung up the phone as soon as the buzzing on the other end kicked in. I held the plastic to my chest, leaned on my blue wall and slid straight down to the floor, almost breaking down in tears.

I’m so scared about this. But I know I have to tell Frankie. After all, she is my best friend. So, why wouldn’t I want to tell her first? Right? Right. I’m gonna tell her. I’m gonna tell her.

But will she be okay with it? I’m not even sure. God, I worry too much. I need to take some serious chill pills. Otherwise known as caffeine, which is in coffee. Jesus, I can already smell that shit from upstairs. Holy fucker I love that smell!

I heard a knock at my door. I yelled for the person to come in. The door opened a crack. I saw the usual pale face hiding behind her dyed blue hair. “Mom wants you to come downstairs for breakfast,” my fourteen year old stepsister told me. I nodded at her, and shot her a smile. She simply blushed and ran out.

I got up off of the floor and ran a comb through my white hair nervously, my hands trembling. Why was I so afraid? I need to stop questioning myself. I’ve done enough of that lately... Now, calm down. Go downstairs, get some coffee, and walk to Frankie’s house. It’s not that hard Shayne. Seriously.

God, I’m talking to myself again! I’m fucking crazy! Gah!!!

I walked down the stairs, and into the breakfast nook. Alex was now seated there, eating an egg bagel quietly, as Kitty talked off Jack’s ear. I feel so bad for him. Even though he’s not my dad, I still feel bad. Wait... did that just rhyme? Focus Shayne! Focus!!!

“Morning,” my mother told me, her cell phone balanced on one shoulder, the house on the other. She kissed the top of my head gently, and ran off, blabbing on the phone about some new deal for a house. It sucks when your mom has a Real Estate business. Sure, it means perks, but it never means time. And that’s all I want right now.

“Morning mom,” I grumbled as she closed the door to her office. Jack looked up from his issue of Newsday.

“Ah,” he started, “Good morning Shayne.” He shot an awkward smile at me. I nodded at him, and walked over to the coffee machine, grabbing a mug full to the brim, and a Quaker Breakfast Cookie.

“Mhm,” I mumbled, leaning against the counter, sipping my coffee quietly. My eyes drifted over to the clock. 10:30 am. Shit! I need to get to Frankie’s!

“I gotta go!” I yelled, chugging the half a cup of coffee left, almost choking in the process. I ran over to the living room, where my Hello Kitty tote bag lay, half of its contents strewn across the carpet. “Shit!” I screamed. I scrambled to get the books and makeup back in the bag, and swung it over my shoulder.

I glanced in the mirror quickly. I ran my fingers over my choppy white, blue, and pink hair, flattened down my magenta Brocade lace skirt and smoothed out my white Hello Kitty tank. “I’m going to Frankie’s!” I screamed from the front door to no one.

“Bye,” Alex bellowed from the other room, just loud enough for me to hear. I smiled. She was always the only one to say goodbye when Rio wasn’t home.

“Bye!” I replied cheerfully. I ran out the door, and through the thin woods in the side yard to Frankie’s. Thank God we found this shortcut when we were twelve! Otherwise, I’d be so screwed running two miles all the way around the block.

Within ten minutes, I arrived at Frankie’s back door. I peeked through the bay window and saw her mother yelling at Zach through the curtains. Guess Frankie pissed him off again. God, if only I’d gotten here sooner!

Before I even knocked, Frankie was opening the door. “Hey,” she said to me, smiling her crooked smile. I smiled back shyly. She stepped onto the back step, closing the door behind her. “Should we go?” she asked. I nodded blankly.

“You okay?” Frankie asked, raising a brow. I gulped.

“N-Nothing,” I lied. I hate lying....

“You sure?” she questioned. Did I mention I’m bad at lying too? Cause I am.

“Yeah!” I exclaimed. Frankie sighed to herself and nodded. We both set off to the abandoned church cliff. We’d found it with Jen and Anna when we were twelve, and it had been our sanctuary ever since. I looked over to Frankie as we walked, and thought to myself:

Don’t be afraid Shayne. Everything’s gonna be okay...